Agriculture degree?

I have been toying with going to school for an agriculture degree. With wanting to grow, does any one think its worth the time and effort? Being realistic, i would probably be growing for some one, not starting up on my own.

6 Likes

Hmmm :thinking: you got me thinking. Depends on your definition of worth it. Do you mean financially? That would depend on your age, job hunting ability, place of residence etc. However, I’m sure you could get a good ag job without a degree. What you can’t put a price on is all your knowledge and experience you’ll pick up along the way. But again, a lot of knowledge is available to people without degrees. I think it comes down to whether you’re very interested in the process of it. It wouldn’t be a good choice for ‘suffering through it to get your degree’ IMHO. Great thread, looking forward to hearing more opinions on this.

4 Likes

I got a couple buddies that are county land extension officers.
Very knowledgeable profession

2 Likes

Im sitting in minnesota… not bad, but no recreational. i now live on a reservation. Im not native American. But i was thinking about talking to them about where they stand. As of now none of the tribes here sell or grow. And i was thinking a degree would help.

2 Likes

I’ll bet they could hook up with First Nation in Ontario, those folks are really working the business side of cannabis to the benefit their communities. Good bunch of folks.

Cheers
G

1 Like

I’ll look up some info on them. It would be really helpful.

Sell or grow what?
Don’t you fool yourself.

2 Likes

@Jdem075 there’s a reason they don’t have any dispensaries it’s not cause they can’t trust and believe there names would go at the top of the list for approved licenses they probably don’t want any

As far as the AG thing goes I was a licensed herbicide and fertilizer tech through my states AG department was only a test and like 50 bucks that being said I did commercial properties not really farms and didn’t make shit for money

1 Like

I just want to grow legitimately :sob:.
@TheShowMeHomie @OleReynard so your saying i have a slim to none chance if talking them into growing and starting a dispensary. When, if done right, they could make good money and push the state to go legal faster.

1 Like

There’s no dispensary in MN.
Cbd is available at vet clinics for humans 80 a bottle.
I believe thats as close to a dispencery up here.

3 Likes

I know a few on medical here in mn. They got on and dont but anything from the state. It’s really expensive and not very strong. So they buy buds.

All serious grow facilities are going to want their growers to have some king of a degree in the field. Whether it’s an AG degree or a Horticulture degree… they want you to be knowledgeable in the cannabis field from day one!

I have 40 years experience growing cannabis, that is well over 300,000 hours of growing this plant… and I can’t find a head grower or an assistant grower position is my state to save my life… because I don’t have a degree that tells them my level of plant knowledge.
Is it worth getting a degree? Yes sir, it’s worth it!

You should talk to your tribe council and see what they say. The worst they can say is no.

I may be moving to Illinois in the next year… I’ll be looking for a job in the cannabis industry before I even move.

5 Likes

I’ve been growing on and off for 25 years. I think the degree would expand my knowledge considerably, but i also have never been one for playing for college. Everyone i know who has a degree, doesn’t have a job anywhere near their field of study. And they are in debt 80k. But, looking at things now, i can get grants to go back to school, grants for housing, living expenses, things like that.

3 Likes

25 years of experience will get you through to a degree rather easily, I would imagine. You’ll have a 25 year head start on your first day of college and will gain the rest easily.

I don’t know about you, but I absorb plant knowledge like a dry sponge absorbs water. Hell, now you got me thinking about a degree.

4 Likes

There are lots of places you can get it with online classes. That’s what I’m looking at.

2 Likes

It sounds like you already have the time put in, so the framed paper-work with :medal_sports: a gold seal is all you’ll be ‘buying’.

My work experience says it’s always better to just get in & work & move up unless we’re talking law/medicine, & maybe even those… :thinking:

As an analogy, I learned SO much more in 6 months as an apprentice mechanic on the job than I ever did in years of reading & DIYing. Those were pre-youtube days so there’s more info than ever for self-instruction, but as with the weed too… Until I’d gotten enough plants grown & experienced, the first 1-2 years of growing were a little challenging, always, always, always leaving me with more questions. …?..

So… if you can’t get an interview without the 'paper I’d say fuckit, but that’s me :blush:

Seems more oriented towards big-Ag farming or the gov’t jobs mentioned above.

:evergreen_tree: lurning good, skool bad :joy:

5 Likes

Maybe you should check across the river in Missouri we recently had a position open to supervise people packaging weed for like 60k a year plus relocation if I could pass a background check I would be on it lol

If Missouri interests you let me know and I can send you links when I see them

2 Likes

Thanks but i just moved to northern mn and signed a lease.

2 Likes

It seems like Botany or Horticulture are better entrées into the legit cannabis biz.

6 Likes

I’m a trained and accredited horticulturist albeit not in the same country as you. I can say a good horticulture course with some type of accreditation will teach you principles of botany and agriculture. 25 years of experience sounds great but that really does depend on the type of experience and your ability to communicate in terms prospective employers demand. If you could study part time and work part time in a closely related field, you’ll build a network as well as learn what it takes to operate as a business. This is basically how I started and I now work for myself which for me is ideal. Working for yourself may not be what you want but if you understand and can communicate what it takes to operate as a business, you’re on to something. Accreditation helps, experience helps. The more you do, the more you can earn as well as enjoy what it is that you do. Your willingness to learn is commendable. I hope it works out for you if you decide to stick with it.

6 Likes