Agriculture degree?

Ive got a hort degree thru the ag department at the school I went to. Get that along w a business minor or specialization. Your real value to a company will not be from producing the best product, it will be from having a broad business sense about how what you do impacts their bottom line.

I thought I would be working in a nursery or greenhouse w a max salary of 50k/year (non-cannabis) when I graduated 15 years ago. I’m now in a similar industry where the hort degree is relevant, but I’m in sales so my business sense (gained thru work experience not formal education) has gotten me 10x further than the hort degree has. I try and coach a lot of our entry level employees to think this way when they come in and ask for more or to do something more aligned with their educational interests. Leadership and business sense will get you a lot further than just focusing on being a plant grower. However I recognize not everyone wants to be a high level manager and just want to grow or stay within their technical specialization without all the management baggage. Hope this helps.

9 Likes

I’m sure I’m not alone when I ask “what do I need to go to school for to be a grower in a nursery?”
I’m not sure if there are any folks here that are in the industry. I would like to know what dose it take to actually get a job growing? What kind of degree would you need if any. I know this is a relatively new job. I’m aware that it is different everywhere. Do some people just get a license to grow for a dispensaries? If so what kind of red tape are we talking about?
I live in a red state. So if possible I would like to be ahead of the curve as much as possible. I dont think it would be fair for big industry to have all the fun. There needs to be more passionate folks like ourselves that are not just in it for the money.

3 Likes

Hope I’m not being uncouth, but have your heard that “cleanliness is next to godliness”. What I mean is if you really want to jump into growing, cleanliness and a sterile grow space are most important. Once you knock that peg in, you are basically set. All that’s really needed now is patience and good clean filtered water. :grin:

I dont think your being uncouth at all @Joshj. Your very right. Being sterile while you grow is very important.
Anyone have any experience growing for a dispensary?

Thanks @Calyxander for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Hi @LilJonB
This may be helpful

1 Like

Not I. I think the way things are going it is the individual grower that is going to flourish. When the more act is ratified it’s the guy with a few hundred square feet of grow space who is in the best position. With legalization of the marijuana the individuals rights are reaffirmed, not those of big business. So, I believe that well, the individual will already be the one with his foot in the door. (Hope I’m not rambling :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Time to finish my beer. Miller high life.

1 Like

Well, personaly, unless your going to be a Dr or nurse…or something along those lines, you are wasting your money and putting yourself in debt for no good reason. You can start entry level in about any field, and be further ahead in 2-4 years than if you waste money on college. Secondary education is one of the biggest rip offs in this country. IMO

I agree with you there. The only problem is the amount of money it costs to jump threw the hoops to be legal. From what I’ve heard it’s causing problems for even the family farmers that are trying to go legit. Leaving to much room for the big industry that just wants to pump out plants and not caring about the quality.
I’m not looking to be a master grower with my own space. At least not at the moment. Just a worker bee that makes sure everything keeps running smoothly.

So… I ended up at the job for 2 years. Around 8 months I ended up taking over all responsibilities. It was an amazing journey learned things on scale id never be able to in a 10 lighter. However. It was simply just not worth the time and effort for the pay at the end of it all
… bunch of carrots…Unless you are a owner or come up on some Canadian money that will dry out in a year there is no money for the cultivator.

2 Likes

Honestly it comes down to legalization. Once legalized, there won’t be any entry costs to grow. The big corps will be outnumbered 2000 to 1 :wink:. Really in that type of market it will be about quality. I mean, who will care if you can grow 400 square feet and make $2,000,000 a year; haha I don’t even think that a corp could employ anyone when a home grower is making that kind of money…they (corp) would be better off to invest in mutual funds. I believe that a formal market will be established.

Ha ha! Fuck that noise bro? For real? Just read everything from reliable sources brother. How old are you? There are little classes that guys are doing since covid but idk if they know what they are doing. For real you go to school now you stuck in front of the computer anyways, so might as well keep your money. Right. Just my thoughts on that😁

Who are you responding to?

I was responding to the first post. For real I didn’t read what anyone else said. I hate mass production! What a mess! They need to let the mofos out of jail, hook them up for their time in there now. Decriminalize the shit and let people grow their own meds or source for it Wherever they want! Over grow the planet y’all! Ha! You guys see that cool kid tell the judge off and spark up a fat joint in court! At the stand! Is on YouTube! Omg soo funny!

Off topic… But anyone ever heard of internet spoofing? It’s where you can monitor a web page and changes made to it without accessing the page or any info on it’s server… basically you are monitoring the actual electronic data being sent, monitoring the changes in the power line. (Dum, dum, dum duh back on topic)

An educational focus in agriculture is very much focused on big agriculture. There is very little focus on plants outside of the context of large scale production. It is very, very different from what people outside of the agricultural world imagine.

I can touch on this broadly from a non-cannabis agricultural perspective. I had a tiny bit of serendipitous exposure to the USDA and to agriculture in my previous career, unrelated to my field. It was enough to get me interested in Ag. It’s one of the big things that got me started down this cannabis road. I’d never even gardened or grown a plant before that. I did not have a ‘agrarian’ childhood.

I dove in relatively hard after I retired. I took classes, got certifications, and started doing ag work with the major land grand university extension in the state. I even had a gradening/ag radio show for a while. I was trying to make the best of a difficult situation by diving into the agricultural thing pretty hard. Ultimately, I got horrifically burned out and made some very eye opening observations about agriculture and making your living on the land.

Farmers, and ag workers to a lesser degree, are a battered, beaten, and defeated group of people. They are the strongest, hardest working people on earth, but they also have the hardest job on earth. I can say that confidently, having seen and experienced some of the world’s tougher jobs. Between the violence and unpredictability of nature, the terrible mismanagement of agriculture by the government, the rising costs of operations, and the insane competition from both mega and foreign farms. It’s harder work than the hardest of men and women, and farmer’s kids are leaving farming faster than ever, because they realize literally any profession–even coal mining–would be easier.

Agricultural work is not as ‘romantic’ as it seems. Cannabis is still in the small farm, vineyard-style relationship mode of farming. It’s non sustainable in such a money driven industry. Cannabis is going to be an insanely rapidly changing industry. The romance will be gone very soon, at least at the level where an agricultural degree is of benefit.

The changing legal landscape will compound the already inherent unpredictability of ag work in cannabis. You will never feel in control of your environment and livelihood, because, well, you won’t be in control of it. Nature and the state will. This is a reality ‘regular’ farmers and ag workers already live. This is the reality of an educational focus in agriculture, not pastoral, idyllic, sprawling, hillside cannabis plantations.

I am not trying to discourage you. There are many ways to successfully engage in commercial agriculture work on a fulfilling and person level, but none of of those are really benefitted by an educational focus in agriculture. Instead, I would argue a degree in botany, horticulture, or ecology would be more useful for a plant focused career in cannabis. I’ve seen some especially cool farming/ag projects from ecology majors since the dangers of monoculture are finally being realized. There are more than a few grants avilable for ecological farming projects. Big level agriculture, at the degree level, is oddly quite separated from the plants because of how much time and energy is dedicated to just… running a farm. It’s horrific.

I am humbled by the strength, stoicism, and bravery of farmers. But, I don’t blame their kids for getting out. I know I abandoned my plans the second I saw how difficult it was, and I never give up on things.

4 Likes