Cannabis Family Tree

I’m some kind of nerd, so one day I started mapping strains I have encountered to try to discern what genetic lines I favor, and to use this information as a basis for an upcoming breeding project. I wanted to share it in case someone finds it useful.

The basic idea is this: experiment with strains, and learn about the genetics to determine which landraces are at work in which strains, to learn by experience which strains bring the most desired effects and why, i.e., which are the best for activation, perception, and relaxation.

Wasn’t able to post a spreadsheet file here, so unfortunately this PDF isn’t editable. As for the information, I’m sure it’s not 100% accurate—and necessarily involves duplicates—but let me know if it’s useful or if you have suggestions. I would gladly send the file, upon request.

I’m not the most experienced grower but I am quite into strains. Although it’s never as simple as sativa and indica, I’ve broken this out into those two main sections, with hybrids located in each section. Anyway, enough said: Cannabis — Family Trees.pdf (2.1 MB)

14 Likes

That is incredibly in depth! I was expecting like a page and a half, not 22! It’s definitely a fun idea to trace back the things you like

1 Like

Holy crap! Very interesting my friend, you really put in some work here. Colour me impressed :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

Sorry to play antagonistic asshole here :wave: but what is this based on?

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Why does my weed have a Hapsburg chin? :joy:

3 Likes

This is based foremost on strains that I’ve encountered and those which have shown themselves to actually be legit, and the connections are based on available info as to genetics.

Some of the connections are estimates of course. However, I live in a very weedy place and try new strains very regularly—one of my best friends works for a delivery service and always kicks me new nug—and I make these estimates based on the most similar traits. Not perfect but what is?

In short: I’m a chronoisseur since the medical days, and I’m looking to find (or breed) my El Dorado.

2 Likes

Thank you for the positive feedback! Let me know if you’d like me to send the file, feel free to make it your own if you like.

1 Like

That was a ton of work! Great job.

1 Like

Thank you! Hope it’s useful haha it definitely took some time

1 Like

Any way I could get this data? Would be awesome when looking for what strain to grow next

Go to the top and click the link.

i’m having difficulty understanding the layout. how do you read it?

Hey pardon the delay. Hope this helps:

• Each tab is sativa or indica, with balanced hybrids often found in both.

• The left-hand side shows regions, followed by geos (i.e. Asia, then Afghanistan)

• As you follow it from left-to-right you then get direct descendants of each landrace

• As you continue to the right you can see descendants of these descendants

1 Like

Btw here’s a version updated to cover additional strains encountered in 2023.

Cannabis — Family Trees.pdf (464.3 KB)

1 Like