An envelope method of sending cuts(unrooted), potentially across the border

I’ve seen worse pull through. Looking good man! Can I send more @Pigeonman ? I’d like to see the stats of success. If you can get 75% of what’s sent to root I’d say it’s a success. Considering I only spent ~ a buck fifty US to send, definitely worth a shot.

In the states, it’s just one stamp. (If you keep the weight to under an Oz).

8 Likes

This is something we can test if you’re up for it. It’s something I’ve been curious about for a while, and if it works, it’s gonna be epic.

But here’s a question: do you think vacuum-sealing would increase the shelf life of the cut?

:om: :prayer_beads:

I kept clones in fridge for 10 wks and rooted then flowered them.

The interesting bit is they were left in a bag at room temp for around 10 days before being refrigerated.

It was the condition of them after 10 days that made me think about how long it could be drawn out for, so it was actually 11+ weeks aftef being cut.

There was a few bits of mould but overall they were 90% free of it, I started wondering about them having a natural ability to resist mould that wouldn’t happen with too many damp organic materials kept in a air tight box.

1 Like

That’s a great question. I don’t know the answer, but my logic brain says they’d prefer some air exchange. After all they are alive and breathing even though severed from their host. I’m interested in trying even though I don’t have a vac sealer. And I’d assume you wouldn’t want to back them so tight they’re compressed in there, by maybe. All things worthy of some testing.
Check out this thread @Star_Dog. @Naptown916 has been doing some cool trials for longevity in the fridge. I’m thinking :thinking: I could use his dip in alcohol, soak in 10% bleach, rinse then send in an envelope and it may prevent unwanted pests(mold, bacteria, etc).

Thanks for your input folks. I love this place! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::rhinoceros:

7 Likes

@Pigeonman.

Do you think sending 3 cuts would offer more of a chance for rooting, or more opportunities for failure from leaf overlap issues? I started at 3, but went to 2 because I wanted to not keep sending failures. I’ll try a couple more variations next attempt. :wink:

3 Likes

@Rhino_buddy

3 cuts, 3 separate papertowel flaps, the cuttings in line: up , down, up.

No overlaps of the 3 plants.

If you tiny seran wrap around the paper towel that keep the hydro in place as well.

5 Likes

I’ve gotten cuts that were sealed in a vacuum bag but didn’t have all the air sucked out.

4 Likes

When I’ve sent cuts, Ive used a vacuum sealer (and just seal them). Can give them a bit of cushion that way, with the air trapped in the bag. Haven’t tried an envelope before though.

6 Likes

You can vac seal cuts and mail them. You need to make the vac seal bag and envelope firm so it can’t bend and damage the stems of the cutting. Spend the extra cash for overnight mail :ok_hand::v:

2 Likes

well im proof a month in a community box is to long lmao but nice to see it worked!

3 Likes

I’ve been experimenting and tinkering with a 3d printed frame for a small envelope and it would fit two clones. First I built a frame that goes into a stack of papers and tried to send it to @Fuel, but it never arrived and my conclusion is that it probably weighed too much so it caught suspicion. My idea since have been something like this but with a sturdy frame and one side plastic. It’s an interesting idea and I love that you have tried and it worked.

Pz :v:t2:

7 Likes

@Rhino_buddy , this might help with your leaf overlap problem. Imagine multiple straws in one zip lock, sharing the same moistened paper towel. Label straw to differentiate snips. Probably fit 10 in one bag but it only works with small snips and appropriately sized straws.(under 5 mm thick)

:v::canada:

42 Likes

this for sure is a really cool technique ! thanks for sharing!!! :innocent: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Old timers have been mailing snips around the world like this for decades. Definitely not my invention but happy to pass the tech along.
:v::canada:

15 Likes

This is how we send them across the big pond…

8 Likes

that’s also a great option!:slight_smile: :upside_down_face: :slight_smile:

and is already safed . i`m going to try both!

2 Likes

Always a great method! There’s the customs declaration that goes with that route tho. In an envelope, they just fly. I actually recent some cuts sent in a dvd case yesterday. Thanks @Til_Valhalla . They look perfect.

And I think your straw tech, is something worth trying @Budderton . I’m intrigued to see what I can send with that revelation. :heart_eyes:

Thanks you guys!

8 Likes

I never had problems with customs… sending to and receiving…

3 Likes

Nor I, but I was also going for cheapest shipping rates too. It’s like 1.60 $ to send a letter anywhere in the world(mostly). I’m not knocking the DVD case. Works phenomenal. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I understand, also if you’re gonna send it that way tell them non machine-able please for a few more cents more…to me it’s worth cost shipping with DVDs, I mean look at the clones/cuttings you’re sending or receiving, they can last you/them a lifetime specially if they are elite/clone only strains…I also like the DVD because it has more protection from cold and mishandling…I’m just saying,…its worth it.

8 Likes