How NOT to use a washer in an envelope

I’ve seen this before and got hit by it again, unfortunately:

I have seen this countless times, actually, and can reproduce it easily with a rolling pin. I’ve been trying to help teach friends how to send seeds safely for years, and while there is a wealth of information on this site already, one more can’t hurt, after my first trade on here.

The only pressure point is in the middle with the washer. Corrugated cardboard is not rigid enough to withstand the post office’s machines. Go ahead, try it yourself with a rolling pin and some old seeds.

Since this envelope had only a central point of pressure protection around the seeds – the improper washer usage – it didn’t help much.

Corrugated cardboard without chopsticks or some other means of rigidity does not help it get through the postal service’s machine rollers.

You may as well just send the seeds in a sheet of folded up paper. None of the seeds in these 4 bags survived.

New traders: check out the variety of methods to send seeds safely, such as with a coin flip and washer, with the seeds placed inside the washer. Make sure to use a washer of the proper thickness if your seeds are large, though.

I just lost some strains of my collection from this trade. I don’t have many strains, but ya know…they’re just seeds and it’s not the end of the world. Just trying to stay positive here and pass on some useful information.

tldr: cardboard usually doesn’t protect seeds.

45 Likes

Hopefully they make it right due to their terrible packing

14 Likes

Is this really just how it was packed?
:woozy_face::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

Terrible packing, I adopted Budderton’s packing method …ie …sealing the washer in hard paper and it helps if you put another piece of hard paper on top so the rollers don’t push the washer out of the letter.

6 Likes

These crossed the Atlantic and arrived safely in Europe recently.

Gilmour red hose washers are very thick and they will hold fat seeds safely.

Paper quarter dollar coin flips have a 25mm/1" diameter window that will perfectly enclose the hose washer filled with seeds. It takes a little coordination to fold the flip over and then seal the first edge. I use scotch tape. Once the first edge is secured with tape I pinch the next open edge closed and seal it with another piece of tape. Repeat once again and it is ready. Those six flips were taped together with painter’s tape and folded in an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper. They all fit in a business sized envelope and it cost $2.80 to make the trip. I don’t staple. They are too hard to remove and they can easily pierce the envelope.

Tip: Label the coin flip first before folding. It is hard to label after sealing.

15 Likes

Not being a smart ass but if folks would spring the extra few bucks for a bubble envelope
That would take care of all this.

7 Likes

We use letter mail to blend in. Theres so much of it, that the chance of it being scrutinized is slim. Plus, bubble envelopes are significantly more costly.

19 Likes

Hey @resimax , sorry to see such a sad sight. I know you’re not looking for anything but it would be my pleasure to send you some replacement beans. I’ve got Headband stuff and some inbred Appalachia, which is built off the green crack bred back to Chem. Shoot me an address in PM when you get a second and we’ll sort you out.
:v::canada:

28 Likes

If they had just put the seeds in the washer and put a piece of tape around it, it would have made it

8 Likes

dully noted kind human :vulcan_salute: :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve been using bud light beer bottle caps for well over 25+ years and it haven’t failed me yet…a few OG members here have received my seeds packed that way…I try not to do any overthinking for such a simple task…

14 Likes

dang it…i am waiting on that same pack of seeds…i guess it’s the same guy. he’s been on here for like a month or so…

did you let him know?

1 Like

Ive been sending bubble mailers all over the US for 2 stamps. 3 Stamps will get em most places in the world. If you buy bubble mailers bulk theyre only like 15 cents a pop. Ive had too many big seeds in washers get crushed, but have batted 1000 on bubble mailers with lil baggies. You can even pop a 3 inch ice gel pack in the summer to keep them cool in transport.

8 Likes

I had no idea 3 or 4 bucks was significant
I have to note that in my budget

1 Like

Because, your budget is the same as everyone else’s, huh? At least this post of yours I could actually somewhat understand. Now I can finally just put you on ignore. What a prick thing to do. Come in and criticize people’s financial situations. Real cool stuff.

11 Likes

I recently discovered this one’s, easier to unpack, I first wrap seeds in cigarette paper … beer3|nullxnull

12 Likes

It is when you send them out all the time.

9 Likes

Some people send lots of seed to lots of people. 3 or 4 bucks can def add up. I went crazy my first couple months here and had to dial back because i saw how expensive it could get.

13 Likes

Also if you ship internationally, which I do, you want to stay under the radar, no customs bullshit.

17 Likes

Another option is to send the seeds
in washers non machine sorted. It costs a bit more, but is worth it. It won’t touch the machines in the first place. Can send small letters this way, and it’s easy. It does take a bit longer to get there, but nothing significant. I can’t speak for other countries but it works in the US.

6 Likes