1 Like

Something new

2 Likes

Very interesting @tamimes
Thanks for the link. :star_struck:

1 Like

Thatā€™s very cool, thanks for sharing

1 Like

After more research, I would like to add Melatonin to the list.
I think @GYOweed was using melatonin for something else but I forget what.
I suspect it was stress-related.
Any comments @GYOweed?

Melatonin treatments helped plant resistance to Apple Stem Groove Virus (ASGV), Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV), Alfalfa Mosaic Virus (AMV) and Rice Stripe Virus (RSV), limiting rapid viral spread by inhibiting viral movement and reducing virus titer and plant-viral symptomatology with a minor global affectation.

To conclude, melatonin is a molecule with high potential to be used as an antiviral agent in crops, being non-toxic (eco-friendly molecule)

3 Likes

@tamimes
Our new ad line for the product.

S&T (shag and Tams) Anti-Viral Spray and Solution

S&T Anti-Viral Spray and Solution works by limiting rapid viral spread by inhibiting viral movement and reducing virus titer and plant-viral symptomatology with a minor global affectation.

1 Like

Viruses/viroids are simple but complicated things.

You really need to test for every type virus that effects cannabis when you see symptoms.

If you see weird symptoms that match a virus it is probably some type of virus.

It may be a good idea to have anything new coming in get tested for all 5 known cannabis viruses.

HLPd
The L stands for latent, meaning hidden.

(leÉŖtənt ) adjective. Latent is used to describe something which is hidden and not obvious at the moment, but which may develop further in the future .

You really need to send in root material?
Why?

If you send in a sample from the top of the plant and it may come back clean, then send in roots from the same plant it will come back dirty.

It has been reported that HLVd is more likely to be detected in root tissue.

Since HLVd is highly concentrated in roots.
Experiments conducted by Dr. Punjaā€™s team at Simon Fraser University have shown that:

• 2 weeks after inoculation, HLVd can be detected in the roots
  • 4 weeks after inoculation, HLVd can be detected in young leaves
  • 6 weeks after inoculation, HLVd can be detected throughout the entire plant.

This means that If one were to test a plant fewer than 6 weeks after infection, some tissues will test positive for HLVd, while others will test negative. That is why it is important to survey multiple parts of the plant when screening for HLVd.

That means infected plants can test negative in one test and then test positive several months later .

TMV may not be spread equally throughout the plant tissue. Therefore, it is possible to test one leaf on a plant and get a positive TMV result, while another leaf may yield a negative TMV result.

Soon after, the researchers were able to detect HLVd in the plantā€™s roots; however, leaf and flower tissue tested negative up until harvest time. It was only after the plant was allowed to grow 3 weeks past the typical harvest time that lower branches began to test positive for HLVd.

The best way to test for HLVd is with a qPCR assay that is designed for, and validated on cannabis. Medicinal Genomicsā€™ PathoSEEKĀ® Hop Latent Viroid Detection Assay is a reverse-transcriptase quantitative PCR (RT-qPCR or QRT-PCR) assay that screens for the presence of Hop Latent Viroid in cannabis leaves and roots.

Genetic variability of the virus or viroid in question: Some viruses are very diverse, detection kits can only work for the sequence they were designed for. If the virus is in a different group within a species the test may not work. It is important to understand the genetic variability of the virus you are testing for and to review technical documents from manufacturers to ensure the test can pick up all members of a specific virus species.

5 Likes

Great info thanks for gathering!

3 Likes

@Cormoran you seem to be knowledgeable about viruses and viroids.
Do you have anything to add to how we should handle virus testing?
Did I miss anything in my post?
Is there anything you do not agree with?

1 Like

Seems like some good info. If you missed anything, itā€™s just that since symptoms can be latent, to be fully diligent you should be regularly testing regardless of whether you see symptoms. Not really economically feasible for most homegrowers - Iā€™m certainly not - but for someone trying to run a business selling clones or even seeds, it should be a regular thing IMO. Many of these viruses can be spread through seed as well as plant-to-plant contact or sharing fluids.

3 Likes