Any 20 amp plus guys?

I had an electrician run a 30-amp breaker to my grow room. From there I have 3 15-amp breakers in a sub-panel. One for lights in flower, and one for the outlets in flower, and the third for the outlets in veg. The lung room outlets are also on separate 15-amp circuit and run my window AC and heater.

8 Likes

It’s going to be an 1800 watt draw from one socket. Any better ideas?

I can run 800 to two different sockets no problem. But it all cost. I’m gonna need 30ft of 10 Guage wire

Correct, I’d suggest checking cables, plugs and sockets for heat. A little warmth is expected but hot is bad.
Also those duplex plugs (in the wall) can be installed by looping the wire around the screw terminal (good) or jammed directly into the back (potentially bad).
I’ll be the first to admit I’m in the minority on this issue but I’ve seen flaky connections on direct insertion & I don’t use them.
In high current situations, a poor junction will heat up, the extra heat causes the junction to further degrade causing more heat (that’s why it’s a good idea to check your high current connections (I try to check once a month).

Cheers
G

8 Likes

Jammed in the back bad- pulled through by an electrician properly with the tool, better than screw terminals. One reason to call a pro.

I had a grow house in ventura Beach an had to keep a box of the glass breakers lol blew 1 ever week

Illegal to run a 20a breaker on a 15a line.

Illegal to tap into dryer plug.

Illegal to tap into washer plug.

Illegal to tap without proper size junction.

The damn government. They should let all the houses burn down in the name of freedom. You’re probably good though… When pot growers have electrical questions I feel they and their family are totally safe. They only had questions because they feel totally safe themselves.

2 Likes

CornbreadJunior,
I think it’s a darn good thing we got an electrician like you here to post us some advice. Not all of us are certified. I hope you wouldn’t be shy about posting when something needs to be said on this topic.

1 Like

I ran all the wires and did the breakers myself and don’t go over what’s recommended in case there ever is a fire for any reason I sure don’t need them saying it was due to the grow.

All the 20’s and the 15 go there and not even using the 15. I feel it’s better to error on the side of caution when it comes to the electrical.
I have seen too many friends have fires due to overloading.

6 Likes

Shit where I’m at it’s just illegal in general. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I put in a dedicated 20amp breaker and ran 12/2 armoured cable down to a 20amp outlet for my flower tent. My veg is on a diff 15amp and my dehumidifier/sub pump on another. I do not like running any breaker more than 2/3 max rating for the time periods needed to grow indoors so the upgrade was a must for me.

Edit: and still everything is on bars with load protectors!

2 Likes

that depends on where you live and how its done. the codes in CA are way different then those in NC

1 Like

The newly constructed Garage/Basement is like yours, ALL 20 Amp Breakers, 20 Amp Outlets, LED Lights throughout. Consulted Certified Electrician, advised that 100’s of Reg LED Lights could be run on a Circuit because of Low Draw. Probably overkill, but better that way. Inspector didn’t find any faults. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

im not sure why you would need to use 10gauge for 30ft of extension cord if its going to be 800 watts on that line. you would be ttly fine with a 14gauge extension cord for 30ft @ 800 watts. and yes if at all possible i would split the load across 2 different outlets. 2 diff circuits would be even better.

if ur gonna buy one then you might as well go spend that little bit extra and with a 12gauge extension cord instead of the 14 imo

2 Likes

<3

Curiosity is hammering nails in my coffin. In any case, if I have any questions about this, I now know who to consult, so that’s a great thing.

I just use a penny to make the fuse work. Works good.

7 Likes

Can run 240 volt easily half the amperage draw. We run all 240 volt. You keep saying 110 volt but check wall voltage it will change throughout the day take average, let’s say it’s 120volt just take the wattage which is 2000 you said divide by 120 = 16.7 amp. Don’t run over 80% on a 20 amp line which would be 12/2 romex @80% is 16 amps. :facepunch:t2::sunglasses::facepunch:t2:

5 Likes

It’s not real man. It’s a figment of your imagination!
(Note: use only 1943-1996 :canada: pennies as all the ones '96 and up are copper plated steel or nickel; I was making copper scale maile armour and hoarded a fuck load of 42-96 pennies to make the scales)

I’m glad others agree to not run at full for long periods. When I was a grip/electric on film sets this was a hard rule cause mistakes are EXPENSIVE. Also, no one want’s to be the one that got a cable to melt, curl or catch on fire because of being lazy. :laughing:

5 Likes

I don’t know one led that can’t run on 240 volts I just like 240vokts is best,things run better and cooler on 240. Use for make hv power supplies and hf amplifier 4000-6000 volts. I’m not an electrician but been messing with this crap for 40 yrs. minus the new pole and 25kva transformer I do my own stuff and yes the 80% rules is for a reason :facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

never said it was ok to run it at max, i stated what wattage was fro 20amps and rec’d that if he was pushing 1800 or 2k or 1600w through a single outlet he might fry that outlet because most home outlets are rated for 15amps.
and yes if he could swap out to 220 that would help him but i dont generally rec ppl do that if they dont know what they are doing since u have to get into the breaker box. at plug level u can just turn off the breaker and he wont get fried

2 Likes