Any original OG members back?

Thanks @MadScientist ! I think i was dXs on the old forums… I may have my old grow journal photos somewhere but sadly I’ve probably long lost the journals themselves :frowning:

But with the forums back that means time for new ones :smiley:

3 Likes

Exactly, that is where i am at… Encore!

2 Likes

Welcome @Smokearoo! I look forward to your comments and ideas.

1 Like

I wåas a member back then under the same nickname. So happy to be back.

5 Likes

Would it be possible to dig up some of the old stuff from the old OG? I googled picture of the week a few years ago and actually found some but not a lot more.

Eno

2 Likes

Sorry no, we don’t have OG1.0 content (with the exception of GrowFAQ). If you can contribute whatever you may have in your private archives, it is very appreciated! Few members has done re-post of OG timeless classics

4 Likes

Hello there @Eno! I look forward to your contributions.

2 Likes

Wow its been forever, any other TF1 peeps make the journy back home here??

3 Likes

Welcome @Baggy! Always nice to see more people joining again.

2 Likes

I joined Overgrow in Oct. of 1999. Just a couple years after it began. Glad to see it back up and running!

5 Likes

Welcome to OG @HarryNugz ! Not sure, but I think I remember your nickname from 1.0 :wink:

'99 there was like 3000 members? Very early times…

2 Likes

hey there B420, good to see you still plugging away.

I was part of that pre overgrow group, still blows me away to see how far we’ve evolved from Flick’s original vision. There is a lack of history out there on how Overgrow was originally formed. Much love to the people behind it.

I would love to be able to reconnect with a few old friends, specifically Shiva, Hibe (exe), SoQuick and Icecold, and so many more.

6 Likes

I’ve joined too in about spring of 1998 when edge forums were on UBB platform just before migration to vbulletin, would you please share more of the story?

EDIT: Memory doesn’t serve me well, it must have been later probably 1999…

2 Likes

Wow! Hello @HarryNugz and @kaka. Glad to see so many new old members. Ha! Ha! The more the merrier.

2 Likes

good to see you still around nl420!

2 Likes

Sure glad to be a part of this forum again. I posted a lot back then, but times change and just now more comfortable and getting back into it.

5 Likes

This is the only forum i talk on. The vibe is nice and a lot of info getting passed around. It is nice watching it grow and evolve.

3 Likes

1998 the planning was still going on. I am almost 100% certain the forums went live in July of 1999. I remember going on summer vacation and coming home and overgrow was up.

nl420 and b420 can probably nail down went og went up.

3 Likes

Hey kaka good to hear from you again. I think your timeline is right, 1998 was a lot of planning. Shabang was running the Weedbase site, and building OG. Flick recruited me from the USENET group alt.drugs.pot.cultivation (adpc for us elder grow-geeks) after I posted a few strain reports I was collecting in response to others’ questions. OG really came together from the communities of Weedbase and adpc, with a sprinkling of folks from cannabis.com (always the unruly stepchild of the online mj community) and the 77, an invite-only forum.

Flick brought the political bent to the OG vision that attracted me. Remember, this was just a couple of years after California passed Prop 215 for medical MJ, Dennis Peron was still going to jail trying to serve AIDs patients in SF, and the Internet seemed like a frigging Jedi light saber ready to cut through all the bullshit and put grow tech knowledge directly in the hands of patients and their caregivers. Throw Dennis in jail for growing 500 plants for 1000 patients? Fine. How about throwing 1000 patients in jail for each growing 5 plants?

We were out to overthrow the old regime by outgrowing them…Overgrow.

I miss Flick, who was always bit too paranoid (depending on your involvement, with less than 10 years after Operation Green Merchant, it was hard to be too paranoid back then) and left right after OG.com launched. He is an overlooked founder in OG’s history and contributed a lot to its original vision. I still remember his railing against job-related drug testing, and calling for a “Boston Pee Party” where we’d all meet to pour our urine in Boston harbor. :fist: Hope he’s doing well.

By second half of 99 things were moving fast - below is the original StrainBase launch announcement I made at ADPC in Nov 99:

Subject: StrainBase Online at Overgrow.com
Date: 1999/11/09
Message-ID: zlKV3.6252$L5.123456@c01read02-admin.service.talkway.com#1/1
Followup-To: alt.drugs.pot.cultivation
X-Client-NNTP-Posting-Host: dialup-12345678.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net/123454678
X-Trace: c01read02-admin.service.talkway.com 942109151 12345678 (Mon, 08 Nov 1999 16:59:11 PST)
Organization: Talkway, Inc.
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 16:59:11 PST
Newsgroups: alt.drugs.pot.cultivation

Just a short message to let everyone know that StrainBase v.1.1, a
compendium of Cannabis varieties, is now online at
http://www.overgrow.com. Click on the strainbase link at the top of
the page. Search for your favorite strain characteristics using the
search engines, or just rummage around a while. More than 800 pages of
information on 200 cannabis strains.

While you’re there, join us at Overgrow for high quality discussions on
cannabis cultivation and breeding, online security, and MJ politics.

Come on, pH, pull up a stool at my favorite local. I still owe you a
beer…:wink:

b420

17 Likes

Thats right on the money Baud.

Flick pulled you, foolgirl, shiva, myself from adpc. I had also started using weedbase for a short time also, with some time spent in the ** also. How I knew so many rad people I’ll never know…

While we’re at it, for anyone who’s ever wondered who invented Scrog… well go look up our old friend pH from adpc.

I wish we had access to the old database.

Subcool was mentioning the other night we’ve lost some of the old crew. Walking Dude, Skoosh, STP. Lighting one up for 'em.

10 Likes