Anybody else like to fish?

I love fishing. I could write a book on the subject. I have two prior State records to my name.
A Lake Michigan Whitefish caught accidentally while fishing in the surf for steehead, and
black bullhead also caught accidentally while fishing for bluegills. I’m the only guy in Michigan with two records on the books.

Here are a few pics and a vid.

Steelhead (rainbows)
This trophy weighed 17 lbs 4 oz and was caught fishing with waders
in the surf of Lake Michigan using a 2 lb test leader. It took almost a
half hour to “worry” him to shore.

25 lbs of Walleyes caught in the lower Detroit river where jigging for them in the spring is an
easy bite.

Ice fishing our pond. I only fish the pond a few times a year to assess the size and health
of the fish, but all are released. When ice fishing I avoid going near the open water where
the aerators keep it open as the ice gets thin there. However, the rest of the pond gets
enough safe ice for me to fish it. I have too many great lakes close to home where I can catch easy limits for the table, so the pond fish get a pass.

I’ve been trolling on Lake Michigan since 1970 when salmon were
re-introduced back into the lake.
Here is a limit of Salmon from the late 80s. Big one was 31 lbs

We out fish the competition by using 2 lb test leaders and a freshly tied spawn bag
made up just before casting it out. That and a Kraft mini marshmellow tied up in the
bag with the eggs.

Prior State record Whitefish

Feeding the Hybrid Bluegills

A friend is very much into Formula 1 racing. He said that angling should not be considered a sport like his Formula 1 racing is. No chance of death.

I thought for a minute and said "How about hand lining for Great Whites from a float tube? " He conceded the point.

15 Likes