Anybody else like to fish?

Good advice, thank you! :blue_heart:

1 Like

15 Likes

Always been curious what the spot taste like? We catch them my way in the summer but I’ve never eaten any. I imagine similar to a white perch or croaker?

1 Like

Looks like a couple of puffer fish?

3 Likes

“Puffer fish”

7 Likes
5 Likes

I love fishing. I could write a book on the subject. I have two prior State records to my name.
A Lake Michigan Whitefish caught accidentally while fishing in the surf for steehead, and
black bullhead also caught accidentally while fishing for bluegills. I’m the only guy in Michigan with two records on the books.

Here are a few pics and a vid.

Steelhead (rainbows)
This trophy weighed 17 lbs 4 oz and was caught fishing with waders
in the surf of Lake Michigan using a 2 lb test leader. It took almost a
half hour to “worry” him to shore.

25 lbs of Walleyes caught in the lower Detroit river where jigging for them in the spring is an
easy bite.

Ice fishing our pond. I only fish the pond a few times a year to assess the size and health
of the fish, but all are released. When ice fishing I avoid going near the open water where
the aerators keep it open as the ice gets thin there. However, the rest of the pond gets
enough safe ice for me to fish it. I have too many great lakes close to home where I can catch easy limits for the table, so the pond fish get a pass.

I’ve been trolling on Lake Michigan since 1970 when salmon were
re-introduced back into the lake.
Here is a limit of Salmon from the late 80s. Big one was 31 lbs

We out fish the competition by using 2 lb test leaders and a freshly tied spawn bag
made up just before casting it out. That and a Kraft mini marshmellow tied up in the
bag with the eggs.

Prior State record Whitefish

Feeding the Hybrid Bluegills

A friend is very much into Formula 1 racing. He said that angling should not be considered a sport like his Formula 1 racing is. No chance of death.

I thought for a minute and said "How about hand lining for Great Whites from a float tube? " He conceded the point.

15 Likes

Hunting yesterday, I took this picture. Over forty years ago I would lay on this rock for hours at a time, waiting for suckers to come out over my hook and I would snatch them up. I even caught a 9 lb catfish from under this rock. Pretty good for an unattended 9 year old.lol

18 Likes

at that age or younger we used to fish for blue gill. i remember hundreds of them at the water’s edge, didn’t even need bait, it was just one after another the whole time we were there.

5 Likes

Did you ever get the challenge of how Small of one you could catch.lol. I would use a tiny gold hook and no bait to get the little 2 in ones.

5 Likes

nope, it’s rare these days but sometimes perch were all over and we had this spot under a bridge, had 2 hooks set up on the line and we were pulling up 2 perch at a time. i love perch fishing. for me it’s only perch, trout and salmon. but my back sucks so i can’t stand for hours on end casting for that 1 hit from a king.

1 Like

We have some perch here, but very few. This is what we have as Kings here. Mackeral

12 Likes

Man isn’t it amazing how a buck can move around in that thick brush without making too much noise. And us humans sounds like a bull dozer.lol… Beautiful scenery

2 Likes

I caught a king mackerel in Florida and it was one of the best tasting fish I ever had, it was delicious.

4 Likes

Who up North is ready for some ice fishing?!?!?! Planning on a michigan trip for end of January is anyone is interested

1 Like

They go well soaked in Italian dressing and a hot grill.

2 Likes

Just found this pic from last year thought some of you might get a kick out of this one, a sarcastic fringhead. Bottom pic is for reference.

9 Likes

I love it. it’s my hobby

2 Likes

Welcome to Overgrow.com @milevaa , there’s a lot of fishers here myself included, I love all aspects of fishing, fly, spin and bait but fly being my favourite.

1 Like

Wow, just wow!
What a odd looking creature its got a face only mother could love.

Is it capable of biting you?
It looks like it from here lol

2 Likes