Anybody else like to fish?

I was fishing for coho salmon on the chilliwack river in BC a couple weeks ago. Was a really good time. I have to get my sister to forward the pictures as I neglected to get my camera out for most of the trip LOL

Now question… a friend has offered to take me on an all expenses paid trip down south to fish the blue water… We are stuck as we have no idea where to go… somewhere in mexico?, costa rica?, cuba?
any OG’s care to make suggestions and/or offer contacts? We were thinking of early to mid 2024 and are travelling from Canada. A cannabis hook up would be a bonus too LOL

6 Likes

Quepos Costa Rica has excellent fishing, beautiful scenery, tons of wildlife around and zero decapitations. Or even better go to Puerto Jimenez on the Osa https://fishingbooker.com/charters/view/17848#reviews

I’ve only fished from shore in Cuba.

3 Likes

Here’s one from a couple weeks ago from what was likely the last float of the season, though I didn’t know it at the time

Personal best rainbow of the season, and ran a local rapid in my boat that day that a couple years ago I got a hard sided drift boat stuck in and almost sank the thing, so I was a little nervy about running it. Rafts are the superior fishing vessel I’ve learned

19 Likes

Rockfishing for Bonito in Little Bay, Sydney

19 Likes

You target them? Not just a bicatch? We use them for bait only here.

2 Likes

What do you want to catch? different fish in different places. Not sure how friendly customs are with bringing in fish from another country.

2 Likes

8.5# Female Steelie! Stream to table!

26 Likes

I often get fish and their names confused, isn’t this the one that’s pretty much a little tuna that comes nearer to shore? I think the Japanese even dry these and shave thin to make bonito flakes popular in dashi stock and soups or something like that. Much love

3 Likes

yes possibly but they shave them thin and add them to soup for a reason, because they taste like shit if you have a piece! they are full of blood, when we go out and hook onto those suckers we run to get away unless there are tuna in with them. here in FL they are caught from about 100’-1500’ of water. the boat comes back so bloody you have to have buckets or a hose at least on board with you. and when you get back its hours and hours of scrubbing.
im sure they are edible but i wouldnt eat them! thats like eating opossum or skunk. yummm.

3 Likes

seeing all the pics of these cold water fish sure is nice, here in zone 8B perch jerking is my freshwater fishing addiction of choice.

Perch Jerkin at the spillway

our favorite perch recipe

but every once in a while i get to go out in the deep blue, and put some of the homemade lures to work.

20 Likes

I love the blue… It really dont get better than that… Alexander ??.:thinking:. That’s my last name also. Are you jamaican .:thinking:.by any chance…

5 Likes

Delicious little puffers!

13 Likes

That is awesome. Nice catch. Use it for bait?

1 Like

Is that mess of spots with 'em?

3 Likes

First name for me, and as far as I am aware the only part of me that is Jamaican is my great love and affinity for herb. :slight_smile:

now that said, I do enjoy some fine Jamaican food occasionally from our local restaurant. its always a good day for some Oxtail or Curry Goat with some peas and rice on the side!

5 Likes

:joy:.:rofl:. Ahh man i apologize . yes those oxtails an curry goat are delish to say the lease. Have u tried jerk chicken or jerk pork… As for the rice & peas I’ll eat that by itself. U know we put coconut milk in the rice an peas yummy. … Happy fishing brother

6 Likes

Yeah we do target them. It’s a great fish to catch landbased…sure a kingfish is nicer anytime…but when the Bonnie’s are on,the sessions are good fun

3 Likes

That is for sure, they are a great fighting fish! Never knew you could catch them from land, that’s pretty cool. Smoked king is great! Best fish dip ever!

3 Likes

Yum! Smoked fish is a favorite. Kingfish is delicious.
Really enjoy smoked mullet as well. Awesome thread here. Much love

2 Likes

Some types of bonito in your region are excellent when prepared fresh raw sashimi style or as Hawaiian poke. No joke! Much love

2 Likes