Anybody else like to fish?

LOL, pass that thing over here.

2 Likes

What did you use to catch that baby?

:wink:

3 Likes

Lol thats funny i didnt mean to post her but she was a 6lb 8oz healthy one!

4 Likes

I fish a lot for bass. One thing though is when I catch em I keep em, and we smoke all the bass and trout we catch whilst fishing for bass. My favorite go to rig is a football jig with a 5/0 hookā€¦Pair that up with craw and your gold. :sunglasses: pb 9.lbs 2oz

2 Likes

Sheā€™s a keeper!
:smiley:

1 Like

Aw, cool man. I had talked to a guy a month ago or so and he said he killed them on a white fluker and chartreuse jig. So, I looked and I had the white grubs and chartr. jig. I went to the part of the lake I thought he was talking about and got right on them.

I went back yesterday and not quite as hot as the day before. I caught a few but had lots of hits but no takers. I switched to a minnow with a paddle tail and same jig head and on the first cast caught one close to the one in your pic. Never caught another one before I left because of incoming storms.

I have to go out and get it out of the ice and filet it. Iā€™ll measure it and take a pic maybe.

Trying to detect when theyā€™re on is crazy. I never even feel it sometimes. I start reeling it in the last couple of yards and all of the sudden I think Iā€™m hung on something. Man, they are sneaky. Itā€™s actually exciting as hell to me. You really have to focus on the reel back in.

My next thing is I want to focus on fishing for yellow perch. I think Iā€™d do good because everyone else is fishing for walleye, smallmouth, rainbow or catfish. I want food! I always throw trout back. Same with the smallies.

Thanks for that info! I had no idea but now Iā€™m even more stoked to know I happened on to one of the top baits on my own, lol. peace

3 Likes

8 Likes

Caught my first rainbow on a fly since starting back upā€¦ itā€™s a crappy pic but it was about 10-12 inches! Had something big try to get another fly but I think I pulled it out of its mouth lol

11 Likes

What the hell fish is that @saxo? I think you said beforeā€¦ Looks like you smoked it??

Awesome man. Iā€™m just getting back to living in the Rockies and catching trout and walleye again. I taught myself to flyfish in Montana around 1980. A couple of years later I took a few fly tying classes in winter and got hooked on tying, too.

Now I donā€™t have any tying gear but plan on getting it all back together. Depending on what region youā€™re in usually a few patterns will do the trick.

Welcome back to the ā€œotherā€ addiction! Iā€™m just getting more into it every day. peace

4 Likes

I know what you mean about tying lol. One of the flies I made has been getting bites/action every time I use it. So I tied 3 more!

I also just found out people put floors into the inflatable dinghy Iā€™ve got in storage, so I may be upping my boat game to a boat i can stand in and put a trolling motor on!

4 Likes

hey Bro,in english,itĀ“s Breamā€¦donĀ“t know,if you got it over in the states.
nothing specialā€¦lotsa bones,but pretty yummy when smoke it

4 Likes
4 Likes

I love to fish and have for many years. (I turn 50 in a month)

I fished Clear Lake for bass a couple of weeks ago and we slayed bass. I only fished for about 8 hours over two days and was ripping lips left and right.

I was hoping that a week long visit to Montana over the 4Th of July would really scratch my fly fishing itch especially since I lived here for three years and could visit my sweet spots. I couldnā€™t have been more wrong.

Family pulled me in 19 different directions and the one day I did get to fish I was mending lines for my mother and my niece 99% of the time.

I never pulled out my waders or my 5wt. I even drove past Ennis twice and didnā€™t get to even stop for 20 minutes for some tight lines. I drove deep into Lamar Valley in Yellowstone and couldnā€™t fish there. What I REALLY wanted bad was a solo hike back to Slough Creek. Nothing anywhere.

Now, we are leaving a day early and itā€™s difficult to hide my disappointment.

5 Likes

Thanks for that, man! That was golden.

Damn, bro. I feel you. I didnā€™t know you had family there. I lived in Livingston and then Bozeman for 12 years. I know Ennis well, and remember Slough Creek. I lived down in Pine Creek in Paradise Valley and taught myself to fish on the Yellowstone and down in the park.

I miss it but couldnā€™t live there again. I hope I get my funds back in order to go visit, now that Iā€™m living in Colorado. Crap, I still havenā€™t done any serious stream fishing here in almost 4 years. I have to get new waders and shoes. I lost all of my things some years back. I fish the lake a lot but I really want to hit the streams.

I did go scouting last week to the South Platte river up in South Park. Man, I was giddy just seeing it. I talked to a couple of fisherman, and it gave me goose bumps. Itā€™s a gold medal river. That section was all catch and release with artificial and the river has lots of designations along the way. Lots of itā€™s private, too.

I hate that you didnā€™t get to fish. If I was in Montana I would have had to lay my foot down maybe, but hey, itā€™s family. I used to fish on the Gallatin near Four Corners a lot and a lot on the East Gallatin. The feeder streams going to the blue ribbon streams are sometimes much better because of fishing pressure attention given to the blue ribbon streams like the Madison.

Man, you got me all dreamy now and I may have to go fish now instead of yard work. Hopefully the holiday crowd has left the lake. All of the yay-hoos with jet skis and wake board boats were soiling the place, lolā€¦ Weā€™re used to having this place all to ourselves. peace

2 Likes

Whoa, we have Bream, but theyā€™re not that big. Our bream are in the sunfish family. We call them bream, bluegill, or shellcrackers for the large males.

Hereā€™s a link to the fish where I grew upā€¦https://www.outdooralabama.com/game-fish/bream-sunfish-alabama

Oh, hey, yeahā€¦ I can see that yourā€™re fish are bream after looking at the pick again. peace

3 Likes

The good news is that I have a California license now from fishing Clear Lake in June. Iā€™m in it to win it now and I live 1 mile from the American River and in 20 minutes Iā€™m in the Sierra foothills. speaking of Montana, my go-to fly rod is a Winston Boron IIIX 6wt with a 5wt Loomis as backup. Iā€™m dying to trade the Loomis in for a Scott Radian 5wt!

Good to hear youā€™re from Pine Creek. The first morning we were there we drove Trail Creek from Bozeman to Paradise Valley with a pit stop at W. Pine Creek to spread my dogā€™s ashes. She will be there forever now.

I really wish we never left but California is HOME. Somedayā€¦

Iā€™ll post some good YNP stories or pics. Here is one from Clear Lake (Lakeport) 6/23

Edit to say upper Madison is on fire right now. Lamar Valley in YNP was empty and disgustingly fishable. Gallatin is deep and green even at Taylorā€™s Fork. Recent rains blew it out but it is ā€œpeak cleanā€ at the moment and the rafters are on and so should the fisherpeople. As we were heading south of Island Park, ID Henryā€™s Fork was jammed full of waders too. Huge hatch as we were going through and by the time we got Twin Falls I could barely see out of my windshield.

7 Likes

That used to always crack me up driving by the Henryā€™s Fork and seeing fishermen lined up less than 10ā€™ apart and about 200 of them. Lol. I built a couple of pole barns down in Island Park the first couple years I lived in Livingston

I got to meet Peter Fonda in Pine Creek. He was a great guy. They had a place in Deep Creek canyon. My buddy and his wife owned the Pine Creek Store and Cabins. They were from LA originally and introduced me to a handful of famous people. I got great memories and stories from my years there.

I couldnā€™t think of a nicer place to leave your dog than Pine Creek or crick as they call it. My dog lived there with me. Wish I couldā€™ve put him there.

Thanks for the memory tog!

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a picture of me in the middle of a Slough Creek make-out session

12 Likes

Ha! he looks a little embarrassed. :lips: :tongue: :grin:

Man, I sure miss that place in summer. I lived there during my best years physically. I was early twenties when I moved there and I got into all of the sports and there are so many places within an hour or two in all directions.

Thanks for the pic! Did you see any bighorn sheep on your trip? I have all of my old photos here I think. I should start looking through them. Iā€™d have to scan them into the computerā€¦ sooooo, whenever I feel like Iā€™ve got plenty of spare timeā€¦ :roll_eyes:ā€¦maybe winter. heh

5 Likes

Nope, no big horns or wolves but pretty much everything else. Bear, Moose, elk. Saw a really cool cinnamon black bear. Light cinnamon brown with a black head. I thought it was a grizzly until it lifted its head and I saw it was black.

6 Likes