Anybody else like to fish?

Man you do not want to get caught grossly over limit here im MN.
They take your shit:
Ie: means of transportation
Boat, tackle, rods, freezer they were in.

8 Likes

Elk hair caddis fly for the win. That was the real go-to fly in Montana during summer. It’s a lot of fun because it’s easy to see and you rarely miss strikes.

6 Likes

It’s like the wooly bugger of the dry flies, can’t fish it wrong, skate it, sunken and swung like a wet, or even stripped in like a streamer lol.

5 Likes

If im gona catch it im gonne eat it brokies and scrambled eggs for breakfeast over
open campfire somewhere up in the north woods on a umnamed stream with a flyrod ahh nhext spring around memorial day

7 Likes

brookies great with fiddleheads sautéed in butter and garlic!

3 Likes

Yep that too

2 Likes

Lol we usually go mothers day but same diff. Love a good back country canoe trip

1 Like

Here’s a trophy of my first Chinook salmon. If i remember correctly it was 19-20lbs. Glad I went to take a picture of it as it was almost falling off the wall.

7 Likes

Boating season officially over, waiting for ice
gonna try and build casa cannasaurus deluxe ice hut this year

5 Likes

i have several portables but nothing like driving to your shack, fire up the propane stove, dig holes and fish. my wife will go when the hardside is out. not always easy to do in years theres too much snow and slush early on.

5 Likes

Yeah we’re with you wife, I wait till there is a small town of ice huts and 2 lane roads before I go out. Hoping for good clear ice this year, last year the ice was good all over, a little too good when your cheap ass buddies won’t buy a gas auger lol 2 holes with a hand auger and I need a 20 min nap

2 Likes

just to let everyone know the fire pond near my house has 2in. of ice on it due to the early cold temps. think it will be gone by next week with warmer temps but got me excited at least. the whole shanty community where i put my shack burns so we trade and sample others weed while out there. i fish better stoned. :wink:

7 Likes

If you have a strong brushless drill (or get one), Get yourself a clam drill plate! Or any adapter for your hand auger to a drill. Or just get the eskimo pistol auger bit.
I have a 725in/lb Milwaukee drill and a 7” lazer auger rigged to a clam plate, after a season watching me use mine, two of my friends (who are fishing guides) went out and got similar setups the next year. Plenty of talk on drill augers over on the Iceshanty.com forum.

3 Likes

thanks yea we gotta full set of cordless impacts and drills, the drills only last year were 225 cdn but a cheap gas auger was 275 hope I can find something at Asspro lol

1 Like

Got a week of indian summer,heading to the creek this weekend to try for some of them big silver great lake rainbow and brown trout filling up the creeks now

3 Likes

My fishing is minimal. Used to fish with my grandad when about 8 years think we cooked a trout I caught on my eighth birthday weren’t the best tasting by memory. Then there was when I was working Netherlands’s they put us on caravan park in a chalet (hut) half over reaching a man made lake with loads of fat carp. My mate bought a 10 guilder rod and I picked up something too which I later found out was a pike rod, then we went to work. 10 guilders at the time was about £3 same price price as an xtc pill. The guilder used to fluctuate at between 3.4 - 3.6 to sterling£ . Think usual price in coffee shops depending which city you were in a not including Amsterdam. Was 10 grams for 100 hundred guilders.
There was an old German dude in tent next to us who started helping us land the carp as we had no landing net. But think he got pissed of when all his expensive equipment caught him nothing while we reeled in whoppers lol

3 Likes

Which is easier on a wrist a drill that put my hand in this predicament in the first place or a big ass Eskimo gas drill?

2 Likes

On the wrist, a clam plate with a shaver style auger like the standard eskimo, mora, or any of the cheaper options, they’re all the same and most of them take the same blades, make sure you get the extension to make them taller. or the nils but the cutting head is more expensive to replace and you can’t just sharpen them yourself, you need to send them to a guy in the Midwest. The lazer style augers tends to catch the bottom of the ice, but the clam plate makes it more balanced and ergonomic so you should be fine. I couldn’t imagine dragging a gas auger around for as many holes as I punch.

1 Like

That sounds like a good shanty town to be part of!

2 Likes

fishing

sorry I missed your call, I was on the other line - the fishing line.

11 Likes