Anybody else like to fish?

Coho are the same. Once they get to spawning age the meat gets soft. Although they do make for great smoked salmon. The late run fish.

2 Likes

Kokanee are just landlocked salmon, and they are great to eat. Put up a good fight for being smaller.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing like hooking on to a king casting from shore. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. lol

4 Likes

Yes love that sound!!.. also used to get it on the ocean fishing salmon. Out there they have tons more energy and fight forever seems like.

2 Likes

iā€™ve only been out on a charter boat a couple times, but trolling just isnā€™t the same as setting the hook on your own. Itā€™s nice to get rewarded for all that casting.

2 Likes

It sure isā€¦ my newest thing is idaho steelhead. They are crazy huge!! Avg. 15-20lbs

4 Likes

Alright folks, just got back from a fishing trip to Idaho for steelhead. I hooked a huge one and let the lil man battle it. We got it to the end of the bridge and it snapped our line. He was bummed but he has the itch for steelhead. Man the power behind that fish was amazing!! Out group did land 3. Here is my uncles fish with me and the lil man.

13 Likes

Who doesnā€™t like fishingā€¦I always wanted to fish the Mediterranean ya know. Get back to my rootsā€¦

I grew up in the us fishing blue gills. Those are honestly the best tasting fish Iā€™ve had.

3 Likes

I actually donā€™t like the taste of fish, but love to fish for trout and panfish. I will take home the some brookies or bows now and then, but thinking back, one of the only time Iā€™ve ever really like the meal of fish as a kid was a bunch of sunfish (blue gills and pumpkinseeds) we caught hand my friends mom breaded and fried them whole (just gut and scaled). I think Iā€™m going to have to switch targets a bit this ice season, and get some real use out of my panoptix.

2 Likes

Yeah I love blue gills. Very sweet tasting if you find the right fishing hole.

2 Likes

Well theyā€™re an invasive species here in Maine, along with crappie and almost everything else :sweat_smile:. Thereā€™s no limit on any panfish here, so I might as well try and catch enough for family members that like fish a lot more than I do. Yellow perch are usually what Iā€™m chasing with a jig rod since theyā€™re just more aggressive.

1 Like

Iā€™ve literally had blue gill take a bare steel hook. Had one fishing hole where I could spend half an hour and catch 50 fish with just the hook - no bait.

3 Likes

Yea, Iā€™ve had days like that in spring and summer, winter through the ice I seem to really have to work them. While just the bare hook, actually resembles a mosquito larva, like a midge pattern for fly fishing. Literally just a bead for weight, black thread on a black hook, and a bit of wire to make it look like segments. The red hooks are just as good bare as ā€œbloodwormā€ imitation :laughing:

3 Likes

The red hooks are just as good bare as ā€œbloodwormā€ imitation :laughing:

1 Like

OK 2021, another 10 days of ice buildingā€¦then OG tribute ice hut will hit the hard water, hmm seperate ice shanty build thread? Should Iā€¦back with a linkā€¦LOL

4 Likes

Letā€™s see what ya got?

1 Like

If you havenā€™t already, check out https://www.iceshanty.com/

2 Likes

Oh I thought you was gonna show some of your handy work.

1 Like

just started ā€˜social distancing ice hutā€¦ā€™ thread, I donā€™t know how to put a link to it. Iā€™ll post my shame there lol

there was so many different plans on there, made me confused LOL Thanks there is lots of great info there.