Anybody else like to fish?

Beautiful!

1 Like

Nice Rainbow Trout!!
Yummy

2 Likes

Extra vitamins and protein :laughing: Yeah, I think Iā€™ll pass

2 Likes

Beautiful fishā€¦Brookie? Rainbow? Splake? Nice spot, something about walking out on the ice on those cold frosty days makes me feel like Iā€™m a part of the planet, and apart from the rat race. Social distancing is kinda helping re-connect with the ā€˜REELā€™ worldā€¦pun intended. Just lucky to have these lakes in our own district. Tight Lines!

2 Likes

cut out the white ones and watch the worm crawl away! They donā€™t infect humans, but yeah, kinda grossā€¦ If the fish has a lot of them on the gill plates, we throw them back, as the meat will be full of them. Just hold up the fillets to the light and youā€™ll see any, then dr pimple popper them out. BTW grubs are like the fight clubā€¦ Filet fish away from non-fisherman consumersā€¦grub filled filet is healthier than a filet mignon from the grocery store anyway LOL What yer girlfriend donā€™t know wonā€™t kill her. Although telling people, you donā€™t want to fish, with about grubs, may ensure tranquility on the next outing???

3 Likes

Itā€™s a male rainbow trout, very dark, getting ready for the spawn in spring.

4 Likes

Somehow missed this thread. I absolutely love to fish! After a severe back injury, wading through the water catching trout is what got me walking again. After a summer of doing this, I was back to work, but still taking painkillers. After several years of going this route, fishing helped me kick those. I live in the Catskill Mountains, and this is Trout Heaven on the East Coast, ( aside from Maine) and the birthplace of fly fishing. The Beaverkill, Willowemoc,Neversink, Esopus, Schoharie and East and West branch of the Delaware are some of the bigger creeks and rivers I have fished, along with numerous feeder creeks. What trout species do I like the best? The one thatā€™s on my hook at the time LOL!

10 Likes

All ya have to do is look down their throats, youā€™ll see all the white bumps

3 Likes

Was out today in the ice hut that we put out yesterday, and had a terrific experience with both my daughters. We decided on a large local lake that ā€˜gets a lot of pressureā€™ and ā€˜has seen better daysā€™ according to locals and social media posts. Now, we walk to the hut and Iā€™m 57 so we put it about 500 yds out. We got one yesterday with the group that got the hut out (and ski-doo died) and marked a few. Today we spent about 4 hours there and were amazed at the number of large lakers cruising right past our 3 ft x 3ft. hole from 2 to 10 feet down Was amazing every 1/2 hr or so seeing these beauties swim around, pull our baits up and try to get them to hit our minnows. Managed to get one high one and 5 more from near bottom. I know pics or it didnā€™t happen.

Iā€™ trying to get wifey to lend me her gopro for video, but I lost her last one in the surf in Costa Rica last year lol

9 Likes

looks to cold for me lol

1 Like

thereā€™s a propane stove in the hut, can get tropical insideā€¦like a kids fort you can fish in while you hotbox. Also has a nice bench if you are alone with wifey. Its a good little escape. Winter is the prettiest season, air is clean, and the fishing is apparently awesome. I donā€™t fish trout in the summer, just incidentals. They are too deep to fish from a boat without downriggers and lots of expensive equipment. All ya need in winter is a drill and 100yds of line on a stick with a hook and sinker. got 6 yesterday, beats my personal total on lake trout for my whole lifetime combined ! Figure I had enough seasonal hibernating, should keep active in the winterā€¦ Iā€™m glad my wife and family see ice fishing as essential to my (and their) mental wellbeing. Tight Lines guys, again any Ontarian OGers wanna meet up out there (Haliburton Area), give me a pm, ice fishing is AOK during the restrictions that are easing further todayā€¦give us a shout, come on out!

7 Likes

Nice, Iā€™ve only caught three lake trout through the ice, but lots during open water out of my friends boat. All we use is lead core line, no downrigger. My setup is a 7/8 wt fly rod and reel with a full spool of lead core. It can be a pain pulling in 50-70yds of line, but itā€™s effective. When they arenā€™t as deep, full sink fly line works tkk

5 Likes

I gotta a fly rod I donā€™t use much. Never thought of thatā€¦cottage is on a protected lake trout habitat with no ice fishing season at all. You just made me look forward to spring now LOL Thanks for the enlightenent, deff gonna try that!! Normal mono leader or fly line tippet stuff???

2 Likes

From the fly line, I use a good 10-15ft of 15-20lb mono to a good swivel, then a rods length of what ever leader material you want. Donā€™t reel the swivel into the guides. Troll with live bait, flies, spoons, cranks, what ever you want, just control speed and make wide turns. The fly line follows the actual turn and curve your boat makes, it doesnā€™t cut through the water as much as it snake through it along the same path.

3 Likes

Oh, if your tolling live bait, nightcrawler harness/sliding bait rig work great for all sorts of things besides worms. Soft plastics even.

Trolling sewed on smelt with fly line in the spring is a classic here in Maine. I donā€™t bother sewing, this rig keeps the fish alive and swimming. If your using plastics or pickled bait, having a small treble hook in the rear helps it balance. Always check the action of the bait next to the boat before you send it all the way out.

7 Likes

use a similar rig for spanish makerel in aust get some mighty bycatches as well

2 Likes

13 Likes

12 Likes

I for sure want to get over down there and catch me a dog toothed tuna and a few other toothy crittersā€¦
Cobia fishing is a big thing here on the Gulf of Mexico and Southern East Coast USA.

3 Likes

First fish of 2021. Donā€™t laugh, heā€™s big for his size.

10 Likes