Anybody else like to fish?

Seems like a much easier setup than a gas auger. What sonar unit does your buddy use? Walked out on a frozen lake earlier today… The ice is finally thick enough to fish on!

There’s this dude on IC that uses a modified auger bit on a drill to plant hundreds of seedlings guerrilla style, it’s freaking epic!

4 Likes

Sounds like a current or former tree planter. Great idea. Too many rocks here, but if I ever get into some bottom land I’ll keep it in mind.

What do you all like to smoke while you fish? I like something that puts me in a place where only the water, the fish, and I exist. Something that puts me in “the zone”, while keeping me going too. This subject may have been covered already, and if so, my apologies…long thread to catch up on.

Many Americans thumbed their nose at carp fishing in the past, but the sport is slowly growing. Now people are even starting to fly fish for them. They are ranked the most underutilized game fish in the States. I can’t imagine hooking one of the big ones…it would be an epic battle!

4 Likes

Smoke out on the ice, whenever the action is slow. So all day long smokefest helps you zone in on tip-up subtly teetering up and down…for what seems like hours lol. Its something primal, like watching a campfire. We are more the sit tight fishers, but yes a 20V drill an adaptor and a cheap auger and you’re ready to drill and go all day with a big battery pack. Love listening to the dudes with the jiffy drills on the cold mornings. I’ve 6 holes drilled by the time the old drills finally warm up enough to drill a hole in a cloud of too rich 2 stroke exhaust. Seems hilarious with the new battery tech now. Gonna give her a try today, with the whole family. Suppose to get some snow today and tonight. Catch ya later. HAPPY FAMILY DAY!!!

6 Likes

I generally like something that isn’t super strong and is stimulating. The exact opposite of my nighttime meds. I like things to be clear and focused so I can take it all in. I want the senses to be enhanced, not numbed. I need to think what the fish are thinking lol.

4 Likes

Sativa dominant

3 Likes

That M18 drill turns my 7 or 8” auger like a champ, I won’t ever go to a gas/propane auger. I think my buddy had a HBird unit of some sort. I have the panoptix ice package, not the livescope version.

2 Likes

Can you post a link for that auger to work with a drill? Is an m18 drill made special for this and if it is do they have something for a regular cordless drill? I never Ice fished, but its popular around here, and I can see how it could be a great way to pass a cold winter day.

I need this stuff…i have a Dewalt drill…

1 Like

Nope, just need about 100lbs of torque per inch of auger diameter. Key is brushless drill, high amp batteries. The auger is any hand auger and get a drill adapter or a clam plate. There are augers like the Kdrill and eskimo pistol, and strikemaster lite flite that are made for the drill, but if you have a good hand auger already, just use it! Might want to get the extension so your not drilling on your knees though.
Milwaukee is the leader for preferred drills, but followed very closely by rigid, both of their 18v brushless drills/hammer drill will work. Just need at least 750lb torque, and wouldn’t go with less than 4ah batteries.
Check out

3 Likes

I’ve never hooked a salmon or steelhead at all, let alone on a fly rod, but my buddy has. Not sure he’s landed one that way, but hooked a bunch. Epic battles for 30 minutes or more if he can keep one hooked that long. I can’t get used to going for fish that aren’t eating.
I’ve actually only fly fished one time, and I caught one brown, a little one. I’ve fished so many years with worms( and spinners), its tough to give up catching fish to learn a new method. I still catch and release nearly always hooking the lip, use a small size 10 hook, and love to work pocket water, deep runs, undercut clay banks, and the tails of pools. Just like fly fishing, but with a 5-7 foot ultralight and live bait. I prefer walking a river to just drowning a worm, but there are times for that too.

3 Likes

Man sounds like you have reading a river down. Just pe patient with fly. Watch the hatches and bugs around. Thats gonna be your food source. Then they to use fly that look close. Lil black ants are a go to of mine for all trout.

3 Likes

Got one lake trout today. 8 hours of jigging, starting just after dawn. Other than that about a dozen or so lookers, only 4 chased, and one missed strike.

Oh, and did I mention it was very bright and sunny, and I forgot sunglasses. My face looks like in pain :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, just fairly windy and facing the sun and white snow/ice

18 Likes

Nice catch! That’s putting in some serious work for one fish! The ice here has been solid as of late, I just don’t own any ice gear.

4 Likes

A couple WV Largemouth from my favorite hole.

17 Likes

Very nice! Is that a Repalla floating minnow you caught it on?

2 Likes

It is a floating Rapala. If I had to choose one lure, it would be a Rapala. You can fish it multiple ways, but I love to bounce it on top of the water and make it look like a wounded minnow. Those top water hits never get old.

5 Likes

Year round, give me an assortment of gulp minnows and jigheads, hooks and weights. That’s all I ever use open water, through the ice I do like other spoons and stuff, but will use gulp minnows too

2 Likes

That’s a goodie for sure. Do the whole twitch, twitch, pause and they’ll slam it! I also love Jitterbugs for topwater in Spring. The Worden’s roostertail is my go to anytime, anywhere lure. 7-inch powerworms in motor oil with a 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG are a favorite of mine for grassy ponds.

Gulp minnows are great. I use them on a slip float when the crappie come in and they go nuts for them!

2 Likes

Yes, slip floats are so versatile! I mostly use them on jog heads, but I’ve done split shot and drop shot rigs with them. That lake trout I caught yesterday was with a 4” gulp. I prob should of switched up the lite through the day, but that would mean downsizing too. Then again, they weren’t chasing, maybe that would of got more bites going to a rattle spoon or slap rap

1 Like

I’ve never actually fished spoons before… My grandpa would take a trip up into Canada every year and fish for pike and muskie with KO Wobblers and other spoons with steel lead attached. I use spinnerbaits frequently for largemouths though. I’m big on jigs too. When fishing streams for smallmouth you can drift a slip float with a minnow or nightcrawler on there through a hole and they’ll chomp on them.

4 Likes