Anybody else like to fish?

Salmon are all gone from the rivermouths now. What a fantastic run this year, it was a great time for our first season to try for them in the rivers. The season is open until dec.31 and the Steelhead are there now…OMG what a fantastic fishery literally steps from urban backyards, most people walking their dogs are unaware of natures spectacle. Great seeing moms with their kids stop and talk about fishing and watch exitedly when they see you fighting one. Great time with my son on the weekend, awesome weather to boot.

15 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVft3uIAL2T/?utm_medium=copy_link

6 Likes

You in MI? My buddy i used to work with lived up there and showed me some pictures of some Chinooks they caught in the rivers up there. What an incredible place.

Just across the lake in Ontario. The trout fisheries in the great lakes tributaries are fantastic and healthy, When I was a kid there were no salmon in the lakes. Introductions obviously worked, the fishing is world class and in most urbanites backyard literally. I’d love an opportunity to fish michigan, border has to stop asking whether we smoke weed though…My son bagged and released an Atlantic Salmon, 5 miles from Toronto, the MNR is bringing them back and having success! Cheers

3 Likes

last week. Yellow perch is one of best eating fish out there. :+1:t3:

7 Likes

Thats gonna be a great fish fry…bluegills and perch mmmm. I’m thinking of running a little ice fish OG giveaway in the New Year…I will start a thread in Dec. and figure out how to get OGers out on the ice this winter. Best pic/fish gets a booty of seeds sent to them type of thing, just a fun way of sharing our other leisure time pursuits on my fave (and only) social media site. I wonder how far south the states get good ice? More of an elevation thing or latitude? Hey you fishers south of the border…How many states have an ice fishing season??? Most of our season is done on Monday…until Jan 1.

4 Likes

I will be hitting the ice. Lake Erie freezes well. I will be hitting Pennsylvania and ohio

1 Like

you ever wanna link up lmk. I’m a full blown ice fish addict. Havent been out on the big pond up north yet, but planning on it this season.

1 Like

I’d say Ohio is pretty much the middle ground for ice fishing in the Northeast. We had a great ice season last year but there was people in southern ohio that didnt see any ice.

2 Likes

My wife and I walked the Sailor Bar of the American River across from the Nimbus Hatchery today. Fatty salmon spawning all over the place now that the new fish ladder is up and going. It’s so beautiful seeing these monsters go at it.

I did have to call F&G on a guy standing in the middle of the river swinging a gigantic silver spoon. I didn’t see him hit a fish but he was trying hard right in broad daylight. I now have the local game warden’s cell phone number.

Don’t fish this part of the river from November 1 to December 31 or these guys will take you out. The salmon need our help.

3 Likes

https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?forums/fishing-reports/

Nice little forum here for fishing reports on Erie. I think its just the Ontario side though?

2 Likes

Also https://www.fisherie.com/ . it mixes steal head fishing in but a good forum as well

2 Likes

What do you use for bait with the perch? I’m still a little new to yellow perch, but I have fished for them and caught a few. First time I fished for them was in Wisconsin and with a buddy and his dad who lived there. Seems like we were using bloodworms.

I’m in southern Colorado and have a lake near the house. I want to catch a batch of them before the winter sets in. We’re having a seriously nice Indian Summer this year and I’d like to get the kayak out again.

Is it best to use a jig and tip it with worms or something? Or just live bait? If you know of a good link to a perch site that would be cool.

You’re right, imo, perch are definitely one of the tastiest fish out there. I would love to get a bucket of them. Yours look nice. Good and chonky fat. In what state are you catching those? I see you have some bream, too. I love fishing for those on a fly rod when they are on bed. I grew up in the south and they have some monsters down there. peace

2 Likes

What a thread! @GMan heres what I use through the ice. Or jigs of similar size. I think size matters more when through the ice as these bastards are FINICKY at times.

the larger orange and green one is tungsten. It’s waaay heavier than lead so over 15’ and I shoot for one of those. Sorry to ramble. I love fishing as much as growing.

Fish on.
5 Likes

Oh damn I forgot. Yeah I tip those with soft plastics like you see. If that’s no good I try a wax worm or one of my homebred girls here!

and that usually does the trick. :smirk: yeah it’s a mealworm farm. So I have a problem. Lol

4 Likes

Gonna try trolling for late season musky today. Never tried, I’ve only ever had 2 on my line,never landed one, any musky fisherman here? Sons girlfriend caught a 5 lb 15 oz Rainbow trout yesterday her first! We got 4 ladies here who love to fish as well,life is good. Will post if we have any luck theres a new coating of snow from lastnight ,gonna be chilly

3 Likes

Ok, that’s about what I was thinking. I have some tungsten flies I use when I fish a dropper off of a larger stonefly nymph in the river. Perch have a real light bite don’t they? What’s the trick to geting them when they nibble? The few I’ve landed around here was snagging them in the side of the head or something while fishing for walleye.

I remember them being good at cleaning the meat off of the hook with almost precision and undetected. Got any tips on how they bite and and how to get them on the hook? I thought about going today as it’s gonna be 70’ish, but the wind is blowing really hard atm. I doubt I can even find mealworms in town. I think there’s only two places with bait and it’s wigglers. I’ll figure something out. I bet I could get mealworms online and sent here. I just want a bucket of fish like you had, lol… Those fat perch made my mouth water. Those are about the perfect size for cooking.

Damn, bro. Are you using fly rods or spinners/spoons? You must be right at the mouth of the creek, huh? That’s barely a stream it looks like. Do they have much fight in them this time of year? That’s out of my league. We have some Kokanee here in a few reservoirs/streams that I’d like to try catching. I’m in Colorado though, so, not much access to salmon or steelhead.

Are you able to keep those? If so, what was the weight? I bet they’re pushing 30 lbs. Is that an eating fish?

Ha, I have the exact same tackle box, lol… The Makita drill/driver bag, ha, never thought of using it at the lake. Thanks for sharing. You and your son have some awful big smiles. What a day. I would wear that same smile, too. peace

2 Likes

Spinning rods, I usually go with small Mepps black fury #2 size max, son uses roe mostly, bags, single eggs and sometimes marshmellows. You can run and jump over that stream in some parts, Most of them fight like a bulldog, jumping running up and downstream. You can keep them, but we let those big ole spawners go, we try to net them quick too. The trout that follow them are beauties. We are allowed to fish the first 2 or 3 miles upstream of lake Ontario, the streams go for miles up into the surrounding farmland and forests, those areas all close to fishing the end of Sept… We are basically fishing the stragglers for Salmon and the winter resident rainbows, which go way upriver this time of year and stay thru the frozen winter. then stay and spawn in the spring. The big Dark Chinooks , you wouldn’t want to eat, but the fresh silver rainbow trout and some young Coho are good to eat, umm fantastic to eat, glazed with candied maple syrup f’ ing amazing. Ha we just returned from 3 hours of trolling the Scugog river for Musky, only frostbite LOL no fish, gave her a good try. Gotta post a pic of her Rainbow yesterday

2 Likes

Her first rainbow

12 Likes

you should always clean/ gut any fish or animal as soon as possible . i would not eat that fish .

3 Likes