Anybody using companion planting?

What companion plants are you or have you used?
I am using dill, bay leaves, oregano and peppermint… For deer made fins on plastic bottles for the wind movement and human hair packets and a garlic pepper spray and might put out some irish spring soap bars . Saw a couple big doe’s snacking in my soon to be garden yesterday not caring I was 20 ft away. Oh yeah hanging some old scratched C.D.s

5 Likes

You can do all that and more but there is something better.
Get a plastic container with a lid/top. I use plastic jugs that held 14 lbs of cat litter…they hold 3 gallons of water. I take 3 eggs and crack open and put it all in the container…fill it an inch or two down from the top with water. Put the lid on and leave it to fester in the sun for a few days. It will get nasty…splash that shit around anything you don’t want the deer to touch. They do not like it at all…if it rains, repeat…The smell scares the deer for whatever reason…this is a ritual on my hostas, which without this treatment…I have no hostas, only deer food. After a while, you can miss a treatment or two because deer avoid your shit based on memory…of course next year they will need to see it again…try it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That sounds very gross. But hey, if it works that’s awesome.

2 Likes

I always have basil with my tomatos.

3 Likes

Deer always munched on my mom’s tomatoes until she started planting Yarrow & Daffodils in the same spot.

We use to watch the deer eat everything in sight but once those were planted they would check out the old snack spot and walk away.

If I didn’t see it I wouldn’t have believed it lol

3 Likes

VETCH

Works really well for keeping aphids, caterpillars and ants away from your harvest crops.
Also fixes nitrogen and provides food for the bees, along with mulch.

Chop and drop half when they start flowering.
Let the other half mature and make more beans for next year/grow cycle.

2 Likes

KVETCH

It’s what I do when the aphids, caterpillars and ants eat away at my harvest crops.

2 Likes

No, no, V-E-T-C-H, it’s a bean plant, you sow the beans.
Then no KVETCHING.
Only JOY.

1 Like

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! :rofl:

@Rogue

1 Like

I like to play catch :slight_smile: :slight_smile: you know baseball

Oooh love this topic!

For keeping deer away you can dig a moat around your property.

Whatever happened to moats!???

This way you harvest water and with the soil from digging the moat you can line it up all around the moat so you have a belt of soil on the outside of the moat where you can plant berry bushes and food trees which attracts birds which eat insects, provide music and it also breaks the wind.

And you can have fishes. :smile:

AND you can swim in it.

2 Likes

I grow indoors and figured id pot marigolds and basil together for the grow room, But looking for more ideas of stuff to grow right on the pots.

only grow there not live so smells are out except some piss The Vetch seems like I might try if I can find it. Deer usually hit us right at the beginning of planting and then again just before budding. Staying away from melons and big leafed ground plants this year so hopefully no powdery mildew.

1 Like

Helps keep the rippers away.

1 Like

Rosemary deer will avoid it and walk around your garden.

I’m using cover cross this year. Build a soil cover crops.

I plant Borage and Chamomile in my pots with cannabis. Borage is also nitrogen fixing!

3 Likes

Vetch (hairy vetch) is a great cover crop but a poor companion plant. It’s somewhat allelopathic and will suppress growth of the target plant if not used correctly. That characteristic helps it suppress weeds, which increases it’s value as a cover crop.
It will fix nitrogen only after it’s been killed. Prior to that, it’s only a competitor to all the plants that surround it. At that point half that nitrogen will be above ground, the other half in the roots. I grow this overwinter in my tomato beds…terminate it when it flowers in spring, for maximum benefit. But I still need to wait a week or two to plant the tomatoes, or they will get off to a crappy start because of the allelopathic properties of the vetch.

2 Likes

Hmm… I have two vetch plants growing along with two cannabis plants in a small 2 L pot.
The cannabis is depriving the vetch, is what it looks like. :rofl:

Vetch stays relatively small and will lay down with a strong wind, then instead of perking up, the tops just bend towards the light and grow from there.
Mine haven’t gone much past knee height.
Doesn’t really deprive other plants of light.

The way I see it there’s no competition going on in soil.
It’s a matter of perspective. Everything helps everything in the long run.

It’s actually a matter of science. But if you thing you know better, carry on.