Co-planting or co-cropping discussion on pest and mold control

I’m about to go outdoors with my clones. Last season I noticed an interesting thing happening. I co-cropped a number of support plants in my living soil. I’m running a 16’x4’ grassroots fabric bed and 4 of their 55 gallon fabric pots. I’m more plant nerd than cannabis purist so I loved the results. I had a variety of hot peppers, beans, marigolds, yarrow, chamomile, garlic and onions. I also have a nice population of ladybugs and mantis present along with both bat and purple martin houses at the corners. My goal was to show my little tourist town that cannabis can be grown responsibly without any sort of nuisance being made. They’re hesitant with our new rules.

The thing I noticed was with the hot peppers. I had one 4x4 in the big bed with loco peppers which are not very hot and more ornamental, the CBD auto in there failed completely and was over run by rot. Later in the season I noticed my Serrano pepper had been left in the dark by the 8’ kosher kush and wasn’t producing much. I harvested it’s one and only pepper and then cut it in early August. Three weeks later rot in just that plant. Two in between these ones were fine. I did it one more time in one of the 55 gallon pots and just before cutting found rot on one cola.

This summer I’m running my 4-55 gallons with two pairs of clones 2 highmacs and 2 blue dreams. Two will get peppers and two will get none. I’m curious if anyone else has noticed such outcomes? I’ve read that very hot peppers (the two “fine” plants shared root space with scotch bonnet peppers) leach capsaicin into the soil and that similarly some gardeners use hot peppers in water as a mist for disease.

I’ll post last summers pics as soon as I figure out picture porting from iPhone to HP.

5 Likes

Or I can get big brain and just log in from my phone :rofl:

10 Likes

Nice looking garden there!

1 Like