Anyone ever grown in the reusable shopping bags?

Came across this watching the DGC and laughed my ass off but obviously it works out great, anyone else use em or have some “unconventional container” grow pics?

20 Likes

I’ve often looked at them as I fill them with at the checkout and thought about growing in them, as long as the seams dont degrade with water etc.

5 Likes

They would be great auto bags haha

1 Like

No pics but I used to make my own custom sized pots out of cardboard and duct tape.

No reason grocery bags wouldn’t work.

8 Likes

Yup, SmknCanuck

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Why not, it just another container.

I miss that guy.

5 Likes

@monkeyman i wonder what happened to him.

1 Like

10 oz in my 2x2 in a reuseable shopping bag! My biggest complaint is they start losing shape by the end

13 Likes

No but from now on I’m gonna use them instead of buying fabric pots. Life hack added to my list :+1:

4 Likes

They were phasing out plastic bags at my local Walmart a year or two ago and were selling the reusable bags for 25-50? cents each I should have stocked up for the garden lol

3 Likes

The bags work, but don’t last.

I had that idea a little more than a year ago.

I found the seams and edges don’t hold up for long.

2 Likes

Over here in the UK they call them “bag for life”
I wonder if they will still exchange them for free if they see soil in the bags :rofl:

3 Likes

The cheep reusable bags were what Smkn was using, but he found he had to double bag for best results.

Unfortunately, he never said how many uses he could get.

Cheers
G

I used them on my multileaf grow. I had plenty of problems, but not because of using the bags. I wish I woulda had some regular ones in there to compare if they dry out faster or not. They held up fine for one grow though. Regular bags are cheap enough online, I probably wont do it again unless I have to, but it works in a pinch.
Heres 1/3rd of them

7 Likes

Haven’t tried them as I already have a set of 6 5-gallon grow bags, but I have considered using them as part of an Alaska Grow Bucket setup (About — Alaska Grow Buckets). It seems like a cheap and easy way to grow with automatic watering. Maybe the next time the DIY bug bites me I’ll put one together.

1 Like

Here’s one:

Worked well short term

1 Like

I’ve picked up free leftover landscape fabric .
Sewing them into fabric pots takes about 2 minutes and then flip them inside out and roll the top down .
These can be made any size .
Here’s a couple being inspected by the head of my QC department .

5 Likes

I grew in them for a couple grows seemed to work well. Liked the handles for tying branches to or for moving them around.

Gonna clone the cat?

1 Like