Anyone ever use green aminos for cloning with rapid rooters?

I have this from an old regiment I was gonna run but never did. I’ve cloned with rockwool for years and the last 6 months no matter what I’ve changed the clones have been taking insanely long to root which then a lot of times causes problems, molds growing on the rockwool or something. Cloning wasn’t an issue I had before so I was gonna try rapid rooters and I remembered I have this big bag and it has directions for cloning use with rockwool. Is there too much in rapid rooters where it would burn the clones using this? Or has. Anyone had success doing it?

4 Likes

I use Root Riot plugs and Hormex #8 powder. I just spray the plugs with tap water ph’d to around 6.3-6.5. I usually don’t feed until roots are good and established.

6 Likes

Ok cool do you even soak them initially or just spray them and use the rooting hormone?

1 Like

Haven’t used Green Aminos for clones but my plants in veg seem to love it. My house plants too. Let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

When I first open the bag I’ll use them as is because they’re pretty damp at first. They seem to dry a little the longer the bag has been opened so I’ll mist them before use then. You don’t want them dripping. If you squeeze one and moisture beads up at the surface they are just right. If water drips out they’re a little too damp. Someone here suggested the Hormex powder and my success rate has improved with it. Nice looking roots too.

10 Likes

Wow impressive roots…I just got my bottle… can’t wait to try them out

2 Likes

Beauitiful and so that hormex powder would be used instead of Using a rooting gel? Those roots are gorgeous I’d love to give this method a try thank you!

2 Likes

Yeah I switched to hormex #8 or #16 powder and have had much better results with it, just like those pics, compared to clonex and other cannabis specific cloning things. Clonex wasn’t really any different for me than using nothing at all.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Root Riots and Techniflora Roottech IBA gel with success lately, I just dip the cut and spray the plugs with weak H202 water or PureCrop1 to keep things sterile. My grow shop guy definitely endorsed the stronger Hormex powders as well but I didn’t want another dry powder kicking around if I could avoid it, the gel is neat and super quick and easy to use.

3 Likes

My only issue on the gels are, I have to pour out the amount i’m gonna use per cut.

Since it’s a liquid, if you’re dipping infected cuts into the container, all your cuts afterwards are likely gonna be infected too. With the dry powder that seems less likely. That Techniflora is legit tho and sits somewhere between the Hormex #3 and Hormex #8 when it comes to quantity of IBA.

4 Likes

Yea exactly with the gel one thing I’ve wondered is if I get these bigger clonex bottles (better value) , and even if everytime I’m only pouring a certain amount out, would this gel go bad/lose any life over time even if kept in the right temps/humidity with the seal being broken? Just like nutrients I would wonder since dry powdered nutrients usually are easier to store and keep good over time compared to liquid nutrients.

2 Likes

When you use this for your plants do you just mix in the water quick or do you let it brew for a certain amount of time?

1 Like

Yep, I just dip the cut in water, then into the powder and tap off any excess. Then it goes into the root riot plug and into a Solo cup with a folded up damp paper towel to keep it humid. A Ziploc bag over the cup and it’s like it’s own humidity dome. I put them under the canopy of my vegging plants or under a T5 bulb if I took a bunch. I wish I could remember which member here told me about the Hormex#8 to thank them, as I’ve really had good results with it.

3 Likes

For my plants, I’ve just been adding a teaspoon to a gallon of water and just shake it up so everything’s dissolved and then use it. I usually don’t go through a gallon at once…so whatever’s left, I’ll use in the next day or two.

1 Like

Awesome thank you! I had gotten a big bag of green aminos and natures bird so I wanted to see if I could make use of them. I’ve used the green aminos on my outside plants This year.

2 Likes

Gonna scoop some of the hormex #8 this weekend If they have it any of the local hydro shops if not I’ll order thank you I’ll let ya know how it goes

1 Like

You can go powder and then gel to be super hormonal about things too. Haha

2 Likes

@Weedison from what I’ve seen, in big nurseries they have a jar of it just open on the table all day like the grease pot at a bike mechanics work stand, it says it’ll stay put through a watering so I think there’s something to it that keeps it from evaporating quickly.

@HolyAngel that is a good point! I could definitely start using a small paintbrush instead and sterilizing it in between sets of cuts, but I would have a lot of things to do sanitation-wise before that was particularly important :sob::crazy_face:

You guys ever seen this stuff? The final boss of IBA rooting powders:

1 Like

I’ve heard people say rooting powder then aloe which kind of makes sense. My local shop guy said in his experience in nurseries, if you sterilize the cuts then immediately use a gel it pretty much cuts out any risk of contamination which makes sense to me.

@TopShelfTrees1 has a system that’s all-hormones all the time I saw in another cloning methods thread worth reading here, with powder then gel then into rooters also soaked in Clonex:

2 Likes

My bottle of concentrated fulvic acid says it can be used to root cuttings, too. Might try it on a round of cuttings. Right now still using clonex gel and I actually use q-tips to apply to each cutting. Just dip once, paint it on a cut, move to a clean tip for the next cut and repeat. Just a tip for you’s that don’t like pouring gel out. Had been using root riots up till now and just built a basic bitch clone bucket, tap water ph’ed, clone gel on the cuts. Hoping I can skip over having to use root riots from now on.