Anyone growing indoors off grid?

Hmm… be careful with that, better to let it decompose above ground. It’s a huge amount of nitrogen in one place. Heard a story about a guy who went to piss around the same tree every day and after a year it was completely infested with thrips. That’s also why the synthetic nute grows get infested easily, since they forcefeed nitrogen. Thrips is nature’s way of neutralizing excess nitrogen, so the plants wouldn’t grow too fast, if they grow too fast they become weak.

Anyway, definitely following along as I dream about a tiny house on wheels and my own piece of land!

2 Likes

You may regret making that offer my friend as I’m very likely to come knocking one day as I’m highly intrigued by this lifestyle and it’s benefits, I’d absolutely love to come experience it and Scotland is one of our top 5 places to visit. I appreciate it very much and will be here for your journey, hit watching instantly. Positive vibes and blessings on your journey. I’ve been looking into selling it the last few months in fact, if so it will make for a perfect opportunity I think :wink:

1 Like

It’s not buried. It’s just got a small amount of soil covering the shit and sawdust. I can’t just go leaving piles of the stuff about. It’s a good 150yards from the cabin so won’t affect any of the stuff growing :muscle: but appreciate the heads up. Never actually had thrips in a grow. Usually just get FG irritating me :rofl: and springtails in the medium. The cabin is on an old truck trailer so can be moved. Sunk it in the ground though so don’t have to climb in and out.

@TopShelfTrees1 I won’t regret it. Wouldn’t say you’d be welcome if you wouldn’t :wink: you’d just need to organise your travel. We would feed you no drama. The benefits definitely outweigh the cons. There’s a lot of hard work involved to keep things running smooth but once you got it figured it feels kinda natural. Wouldn’t mind a bit of land your way if the price was right. How many acres etc? Drop me a PM. Nice to know folks will be following along. That’s given me a bit more incentive to make it happen faster and document properly. Always appreciate positive vibes and blessings :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Something like this is an option too, just dump your bucket in the bin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My partner is jealous of your location!!

You could also use your wastes to create bio-gas:

1 Like

If it’s any consolation I’m jealous of my own location :rofl: no I joke but I do love it here.

Biogas might actually be a good shout. I’m gonna look further into that. Thankyou. At the moment though my head is firmly stuck in data sheets on digikey trying to find the most efficient 12v strips possible. High lumen per watt (yes I know lumens are for humans) high CRI. Yadda Yadda. So it’s probably going to be a few long evenings of number crunching and component matching. I guess I should really take some measures of the space I can make available too to make those numbers add up. Then I can get to a bill of materials :woozy_face::sunglasses:

6 Likes

The simplest biogas generator i’ve ever seen used 2x tubes, with one just small enough to slip inside the other.

The smaller one is the bottom, with the opening at the top. The larger one slips over this and maintains the seal with some grease. The reason this one was so rad was that the biogas builds and LIFTS the upper portion upwards… so when you open the valve to get the biogas it’s NOW UNDER PRESSURE from the weight of the tube being pulled down by gravity!

You could also run something like this BELOW your water drum:

Anytime you get water from your source you also get a little power for the effort!

7 Likes

That is pretty damn cool

2 Likes

I eventually want to make a small workshop/chill space in my yard and was going to use the roof to collect rainwater to support all my gardening (in addition to the barrels from the house).

But on the downspouts of the workshop would have these little generators to pull power from the water as it gets collected in addition to a few 360 degree turbines as our yard is still maybe 7-10 days of the year!

4 Likes

Awesome! I love it

2 Likes

That is awesome, I dream of off grid somewhere with some more acreage. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors.:+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yap, that is a sweet spot, with some work and money and that is going to be a nice place to hang, smoke, wait tjem to be ready, if a dwer shows up, take the shoot and free venison…

The grow we know how much power you will need, I just don’t understand the fixation on the 12v, why not 24 ou 36?

1 Like

Don’t forget you can run two 24v strips in series to get a 12v “strip”. :wink:

3 Likes

It definitely is a sweet spot. Mostly not costing too much to get in order as we got a decent supply of wood and a saw mill on the farm. And tools to do most the building ourselves. There are plenty deer roaming the woods. Hare too but it’s out of season at the moment. We have livestock for food though and plenty butchered already and frozen. I do love me some venison though.

12v is purely to keep cost down on battery bank. It’s a lot easier to setup solar for 12v too. Plus when it comes to buying fans and stuff 12v is more readily available. Just makes sense to me. Plus be able to run everything on a sonoff running the same DC voltage :wink:

1 Like

That is a very good idea indeed. Cheers bro. I’ll have another look at digikey :sunglasses:

1 Like

Also to the other off grid ideas. I am paying attention but I can’t focus on too many things at once. My brains a pickle :rofl: not being rude

I don’t think it will be much harder to switch that to 24v, mean you only need 2 12v batteries and I would advise at least 6 batteries 12v, as 24 or 36v banks, at least 1500w wind generator and if you can about 6 solar panels just to be hip.

It looks like a hight point with wind so…

Think like this, you won’t want to rely a your garden in just one battery, if you go cheap you will need new batteries every 2 or 3 years and about 10 years with quality ones.

If you have 2 you can go 24v, both for the garden and most usual things and you can switch on a inverter if needed.

You should have some data on wind values there or nearby to see if the wind generator will do the job.

The intension is to stabilize current with battery banks and use and produce almost instantly, the batteries are just a backup.

2 Likes

Cheers bro. It’s not too much harder to switch to 24 or even 36v. The main issue is the initial outlay. I’m surviving on around £600 a month at the moment so have to be conservative with my spending sadly. If I could afford it. I’d be looking at power walls and more panels and turbines than you could shake a stick at :rofl:

At the moment you’re very much correct the wind is madness. I’ve seen 3 trees snap so far today but it isnt too frequent an occurrence. I wouldn’t be relying on a single battery but I’d be relying on higher amp hours to carry me through. Trying to keep the draw for both the cabin and grow to a minimum. To give you an idea. We’re using power banks and fire at the moment. But it is quite a recent move.

Appreciate the input massively though :blue_heart:

2 Likes

If you are using fire, check out pletier cells, there is a portable stove that charges you phone while you are coocking meals, based on that cells, if your brain still have a gap maybe you can use several to make some decent amperage while cooking or warming yourself.

Check out some renewable sources retailers for off grid wind kits that bring most hardware and everything you need to power on, and you will know how much you will need to do that.
I say this because I checked a lot an I found damia solar in spain that has some nice prices for kits, mostly solar but also wind kits and from all shops in iberic countries and this one has nicw prices for pre assembeled and tested kits off grid, with 2 typea of batteries and with very reliable information. But there might bw different, anyway you will need to buy those so…

3 Likes

In Scotland… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like