Anyone make their own ejuice?

As for polyethylene glycol

PEG is generally considered biologically inert and safe. However, studies of clinical safety are generally based on adults, not children. The FDA has been asked to investigate the possible effects of PEG in laxatives for children.[35] Also, a minority of people are allergic to it. Allergy to PEG is usually discovered after a person has been diagnosed with an allergy to an increasing number of seemingly unrelated products, including processed foods, cosmetics, drugs, and other substances that contain PEG or were manufactured with PEG.

But the issue isnā€™t necessarily PEG but the production of it and is more related to other PEG than the PEG400 vapers use.

Depending on manufacturing processes, PEGs may be contaminated with measurable amounts of ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane. i The International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies ethylene oxide as a known human carcinogen and 1,4-dioxane as a possible human carcinogen. Ethylene oxide can also harm the nervous system ii and the California Environmental Protection Agency has classified it as a developmental toxicant based on evidence that it may interfere with human development. iii 1,4-dioxane is also persistent. In other words, it doesnā€™t easily degrade and can remain in the environment long after it is rinsed down the shower drain. 1,4-dioxane can be removed from cosmetics during the manufacturing process by vacuum stripping, but there is no easy way for consumers to know whether products containing PEGs have undergone this process. iv In a study of personal care products marketed as ā€œnaturalā€ or ā€œorganicā€ (uncertified), U.S. researchers found 1,4-dioxane as a contaminant in 46 of 100 products analyzed. v

While carcinogenic contaminants are the primary concern, PEG compounds themselves show some evidence of genotoxicity vi,vii and if used on broken skin can cause irritation and systemic toxicity.

Now not inhalation but from most available data there hasnā€™t really been any longterm or decent studies on PEG consumed through inhalation. But for both PG and PEG the issue is actually down to overheating, and after a certain point they can both break down into toxic substances that we donā€™t want.

Now saying that, take a look at vape juices in general and see how many are actually using PEG. That industry has pretty much moved away from PEG as a carrier or viscosity diluent due to the unknowns of it and that when ingested oral, such as a kid drinking vape juice, that it can be lethal.

Needless to say still a lot of unknowns currently, and im definitely not an expert in any way shape or form in that field, just what ive read in my own search on issues.

2 Likes

Hi @Mr.Sparkle, I was looking on YouTube on the subject. There was a doctor, at least he claimed to be a doctor, that stated the difference between industrial and food safe PG was a matter of dilution (this video was about PG, so nothing about PEG). With that in mind, it doesnā€™t seem likely that ingesting some ejuice would be serious. Iā€™m sure repeated swigs of ejuice from a bulk container may be, but, letā€™s face it, adults should no more leave their ejuice where children can get at it any easier than their liquor cabinet, or even baby aspirin for that matter.

Allergy is something to consider, but one thing all the videos I found on YouTube said both of these products (reminder: PETROLEUM products) are already in use in pharmaceuticals and foods. People need to make informed decisions for themselves. In your own words:

I found nothing to indicate the PG is considered ā€œbiologically inertā€ by anyone at all. Since the origin of this discussion concerned whether PG or PEG is healthier (in this case meaning simply ā€œless harmfulā€), then I think my original statement is still correct. I will most assuredly agree that we probably shouldnā€™t be welcoming either if these products into our blood streams, but the same case could be made for nicotine and alcohol. Both of those substances are DEADLY. Studies show that if a person inhaled the same amount of nicotine in one cigarette as what the get from smoking all day long, the expected effect is death. I personally knew 2 people from different social circles that drank themselves to death in a day (different days).

What it all comes down to is if person knows they have an allergy (or any other problem) to something, it is up to them to avoid it. Personally, I have a problem with cigarette smoke, I have an irresistible urge to pour water on them. :wink:

@ReikoX Pg and vg shouldnā€™t boil off either but It gets all over the lid I use to cover the brew while heating, I would think it is possible for thc to hitch a ride, the goal is, after all, to make the pg/vg become a carrier for the thc. But I could have it wrong. Either way the odorless manner of making ejuice should only lose what sticks to the stir. I am interested to be following through with the experiment either way. Not much work to mixing it and put it on a shelf for a month. :smile:

1 Like

A week and one day has passed since I looked at my odorless ejuice method. Last night I was busy futzing with a pH meter. Iā€™m so glad I keep one of those $7 cheapies on hand for such an emergency. So I didnā€™t get to look at my concoction under the microscope until today. There were many less trichome pearls and much less of the debris in the field was encapsulated.

Two weeks an 1 day since I mixed the juice, it looks more than halfway done. The method I am following is the tincture method. In that method, they use straight VG as the solvent. That method takes 30 days according to several videos on the subject at YouTube. I am using 90% PG, 10% VG. At this rate, all the thc will finish infusing with the solvents by next weekend. Aside from stirring a few times a day, Iā€™m doing nothing in the process. Kind of a ā€œlazy manā€™sā€ way to make the stuff.

Hey, check out this video:

Iā€™ve been trying to get some time to leave it in the sun to remove chlorophyll, but snow doesnā€™t come with sunshine.

1 Like

Hi @ReikoX. Iā€™ve been re-reading post and realize that when I first read a post, I overlook things. I know I told you I have tried to rosinize kief with no luck, but I stopped short of telling you that I deliberately keep my kief very dry. I was trying to keep it more moist in the past, and ended up ruining over 18 grams in 2 containers by letting them get moldy. They smelled horrible, very ammonia like with an almost painfully hard hit to the throat.

I also let my weed get very dry as well, but I do that because I like getting my buzz on in 1 bowl. Less water, less fluff. Less fluff more weed to the trichomes to the bowl. Itā€™s a bit harsh, but I like it that way.

Hey, @Roux. Super good advice. Read on to see what I did with itā€¦

@99PerCent, @MadScientist, @Mr.Sparkle, @legalcanada, @Jellypowered

I was looking over @ReikoX design of rosin press remembering how much it hurt my already weak shoulders to open and close a vise many times in a day, and decided to buy a press instead if I could find one cheap enough. I bought a 6 ton hydraulic press from Amazon for a total of $100 after shipping. It is small, 36" tall, 5" wide and the feet take up 19" of floor space. It is welded construction, leaving me only the feet and the split table to assemble.

It arrived in only 2 days leaving me scouring the Internet for rosin plates. I found the plate kits to run about $250, so that is a future expense.

I had a couple of 2" wide x 1" thick x 5 and 6" long steel bar ends that I could use to press. I thought about the YouTubers that said, ā€œif you have enough squeeze, you donā€™t need heatā€. I looked at full blown Rosin presses with 20 ton jacks and they had heated plates, so I figured that Iā€™d just be wasting my time to try it without heat as Iā€™d have no frame of reference determine if it is any good at all. So I decided to wait until I had Rosin plates.

I thought Iā€™d get myself setup for that future date (most likely 1 month). I got out 3.5 grams of shake from my buds jar. I misted the weed slightly and let it sit, covered to equalize the moisture (per @Roux suggestion) and pressed it into a 7/8 wide x 1 1/4 long x 3/16" thick hard patty and put it in my growroom frig. I tried to water the plants but my mind was on my new press, so I threw the 2 block I was planning on using into the oven. I baked them a little at a time until the temp checked 200-210Ā°.

I had the pressed patty and parchment paper ready. The blocks cooled 10Ā° before I got them in place. I pressed slowly until it was all compressed, then finished quickly. I didnā€™t realize until I was taking the paper from the press that my little pressed rectangle that I started with was squeezed out where the crease in the paper was. It was all squished out all over the inside of the paper as well. I didnā€™t think to photograph it in the press. Here is the paper from press @1:

It was my first press and irt definitely im"pressed" me. :slight_smile:

The blocks were just cool enough to move barehanded when I did the 2nd squish. This time I was expecting breakout was ready to photo it:

Sorry about the blurriness, my batteries were so low (and the lighting) the auto focus couldnā€™t do itā€™s job. I didnā€™t think it had saved the photo because the camera shutdown due low power.

Youā€™re probably interested to see the press, so here it is:

To help you visualize the size, that is a 20" box fan on the shelf next to the press.

I really need one more bit of help here. Please tell me there is a way to get the dab off the tool with out losing any! When I try, it just smears.

Thank you one and all for sharing your experiences both good bad.

3 Likes

Ah the pains of improvising.

It might be easiest taking it off hardened. Is the tool clean enough for this to be consumed?

How handy are you with tools? I made my plates for about $100 off Amazon. Heaters, PIDs, relays off Amazon and some aluminum bar from a local metal shop for $15. I have the same style 6-ton press.

I am going to bed now, super stoned, i will have a few pics for you tomorrow bro. Nite Nite!

1 Like

It should be I washed it before starting knowing that anything sticking to it would end up in my dab.

So, do I freeze it to harden it? This is the very first time Iā€™ve ever had enough to harvest. I have no previous experience to draw from.

Hi @ReikoX. You mean, aside from working as a auto mechanic for 5 years out of fresh out of high school and as toolmaker for 34 years, and a high performance engine builder for a couple of years in between machine shops? Not veryā€¦ :disappointed:

Iā€™ve been looking at the jaw blank only sets at Amazon and buying the rods and PID temperature controllers as well. It is the most likely route Iā€™ll end up taking. There is much money to be saved. I just wish I still was working, Iā€™d have made my own plates. They are the most expensive part. No longer having a machine shop to use in my off hours sure limits all the ideas Iā€™ve come up with.

It is a very nice little press. I was amazed by the quality of construction for such a low price. I thought you were using a vise. Did you up grade?

I was thinking about adapting the jaws you used for your vise to the press, but without being able to machine a boss under the heater ceramic hair straightener plates for support without endangering the the electrics on it, I think it would crack, possibly powder under 12,000 lbs of pressure. I feel Iā€™d like something more robust.

In the end, Iā€™ll probably just go with the blanks, etc. Iā€™ll see if ebay has any better pricing on the stuff. Itā€™s better to not buy all my cannabis related needs from Amazon. Gotta make Jeffery Beauregard Sessionā€™s investigators work for their money. :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t think it would be necessary. It should start to harden like a wax after 24 hours, I would try to get a small amount stuck to a tool and keep dabbing at it. See if you can get it to stick to the tool.

99%

PS, any leaks that happen to land on the hot plates will eventually dissolve into thin air, right?

@Roux made the vice pressā€¦

This is mineā€¦

3 Likes

Good morning @99PerCent
I hadnā€™t gotten your response by the time I went to bed, so I put it in my growroom frig overnight. It chipped off in large pieces with only a tiny amount still stuck to the tool I used.

I sense by your responses that you are curious as to why I used the rod I did for removing the dab from the paper. I watched quite a few videos on YouTube. Only one of those folks mentioned how to remove it from paper and he said he preferred to use a tool that had a ball end. He said it made it easier to remove from the paper, so I found a rod with a ball end, washed it and used it. Do you have a favorite tool to use?

Lol. Probably not. Alcohol removes it nicely though. A little waste but just about everything generates some waste. I am very happy with my first harvest of dab.

Since I was using block heated by hand and they cooled as I worked, The blocks were barely warm to the touch for my 3rd press and I got almost nothing, even thought the squished buds was sticky as hell. I would say that if you can get dab without heat, you probably need more than 20 tons, since Iā€™ve seen Rosin presses that large and they were still using heat. Good to know. I hadnā€™t seen anyone here talk of pressing without heat, so I had pretty much figured out before that heat was absolutely necessary.

So you no longer use the vise?

Can you post some pics of your jaws and controller? Are you still using the heat plates from a hair straightener for your heat source? I canā€™t tell from the picture. Iā€™ve always very good at copying a design from photo as long as I take measurements of my stuff and make it to fit. But then again, I am no longer in a machine shop 5.5 days per week, so it is tougher now. :wink:

2 Likes

I am in search of good dental tools with tiny points that can still gather good size clumps.

Maybe you are thinking of my @roux vice press.

Here is the thread where you can see it built.

4 Likes

lol @ReikoX I thought I was just really stoned, I didnā€™t understand what was going onā€¦Iā€™m smoking another :joy:

Yes @99PerCent got my back, he is quicker with the mouse and keyboard. ^^^^

2 Likes

And any time you need it brotherā€¦

2 Likes

@Roux, Iā€™m so sorry. I was thinking you were the one that made the vice press. I guess the names starting with ā€œRā€ and having black and white avatars confused me.:confounded:

EDIT: Damn, I did it again! this reply should have gone to @ReikoX. Sorry man, I gotta stop smoking so much!

Yourā€™s is a nice setup. You said you made your own plate set, would you mind posting some pics of it? Did you buy industrial heaters or find a less expensive option?

@99PerCent, thanks man! I probably would have continued to be confused over that if you hadnā€™t straightened my out. We could really use a emoji that points a gun to its head for these ā€œOh, duh!ā€ moments

2 Likes

I built mine using this tutorial here, except I used 2.5"x2.5" plates and a 6-ton press.

http://www.highsimple.com/diy-rosin-heat-press/

I did post a picture of the HMK press (not mine) which was the 600-lb quick clamp with a straightener.

Lol You guys should start up a rosin press thread, but definitely addresses getting the first precursor towards making e juice.

I use alcohol extraction for my shatter/oil but Iā€™ve been eyeing up distillate hardware pretty seriously as of late, will probably start purchasing stuff in the next week or so for a budget diy build and for low to medium volumes, already been distilling alcohol for a decade so why not this only difference is higher boiling points coupled to vacuum to reduce those temperature.

3 Likes

So you will keep using alcohol for extraction, or will you switch to butane?

I have a buddy with a butane extraction unit which he has gotten pretty good with. He purges under vacuum for a week to get rid of the butane that isnā€™t recaptured in the process.

Penny Wise

1 Like

Keep with the alcohol, as iā€™ll be specing in some larger flasks and different condensers most likely so i will also be recovering that as well. Butane unless running a closed loop system which is very pricey in itself seems so wasteful to me, especially from the amount of waste that is generated.

But my goal isnā€™t to get pure clarity stuff, but more reasonable clarity with terps from the plant mixed back in.

Just like High Proof alcohol vs a flavored spirit like rum or whiskey in the distillation world.

Or at least thatā€™s my plan. Iā€™m not looking for complete isolation.

2 Likes

Be sure and post up what you manage. Not sure if you shouldnā€™t post on the Distillation thread too.

:tropical_drink: