Somebody Stop Me

So I’ve done some searching but it’s pretty messy in there.

I’ve just upgraded my nic vape and so now I have a mod tank and coils just sitting there.

Mrs Foreigner has developed a taste for the vape carts so I figure I might as well try to rig something up.

Tentative plan: decarb bud in PG in the usual stovetop method and then fill the tank.

I’m sure people have done this with VG before but I heard PG has better extraction rates.

I plan to chop up X grams and just cover with PG for the extraction.

Anybody done this before? And comments on dose? Vape voltage/wattage?

I’m going off half cocked so help me or stop me!

Cheers.

11 Likes

I’ve done the same with mixed results, using VG, PG, and sometimes a mix of the two.

Past successes I would attribute mostly to luck or input material, but the VG makes for cloudier results. Any time I thought I had the recipe “dialed in” I would end up making a lacklustre batch.

Dose was always mild to me, but a few hits gives a nice glow. Also feels mild on the lungs compared to vape cartridges.

I was using an aspire pockeX, no clue about technical details. It’s a basic one button unit at a painlessly replaceable price point.

7 Likes

PG is really thin and can run right through the tank. Most ejuice is 75/25 vg/pg or 50/50. You can occasionally find a 75% pg vape. I’m unsure what the legit ccell carts use.

As for making it. I’d think you’d have much better luck and results dissolving your hash or sift into the vg/pg and then strain it through a cheesecloth or something, rather than using straight flower. There are other fats in the flowers than can be extracted with the vg/pg and it’ll mess with the taste too. The hash or sift or even rosin should be much cleaner tasting and on the coils.

4 Likes

You’ll need a lot more than cheesecloth to strain the particulate from siftings even if you use several layers of cheesecloth. Speaking from experience on this one.

The coil clogged for good after two or three hits.

2 Likes

Am I the only one here that has no trust in vape tech? :worried:

6 Likes

Oh wow! This never occured to me. Interested to see what you find @Foreigner

2 Likes

I vape nic and do 100% PG and haven’t had to change my coil in a long time. I think the VG is what clogs it up.

I thought about this and it might be the move today. I happen to have a little utility hash that might work.

This thread could also be called “foreigner doesn’t really want to buy a rosin press and is trying to figure out workarounds.”

They work pretty good. It depends what your goals are. THC with no combustion. Sold. Mrs Foreigner placated. Sold.

8 Likes

Dooo it! :wink:

5 Likes

Asumming everything goes well with the coil and the ratios of PG and VG, how would you get a high concentration of THC into such a small volume of solution? Do they bind well to THC?

2 Likes

That is the problem. The commercial products we’ve tried are 1g rosin in like 5ml of carrier.

Hard to match with bud.

I dunno. I really dunno. If it’s weak but tasty I’d consider that a win. As long as it’s not too weak.

2 Likes

VG and PG are straight fats. Vegetable Glycerin and Propylene Glycol.
They will DEFINITELY extract the THC as THC binds specifically to fat.

Flower will give you contaminants and less potency. Hash/Sift/Rosin are definitely gonna be the way to go for potency/effectiveness/Cleanliness.

5 Likes

So here’s the deal:

Gonna decarb in the oven and then dissolve in 15-20 ml PG then strain.

I might still do a bud extraction but we will see what happens.

I expect the apt will smell like delicious baking hash soon…

5 Likes

Put a loose dome or lid over the material while decarbing. I use an inverted casserole dish on a cookie sheet.

This drastically reduces the smell, and it might just be stoner science but I suspect it also seals in the flavour.

2 Likes

I mean’t long term health effects. My father WAS a chemist and had to retire early from that career when he needed to take over the family business… well, all his collegues died due to the exposure to many things that were deemed “safe” for a long time but then as we learned more and testing mentods were discovered many of those “safe enough” things were deadly over enough exposure.

Like microwavable popcorn being safe until popcorn lung was discovered.

It’s all too much of a chance for capitalism and profit… so when that’s the case then I have NO TRUST in the tech until enough years go by where it’s a proven human trial study.

This is why I still combust flower, or if vaping it’s vaping flower. Is it as convenient? NO!!.. but the millenia of smoke inhalation by humans is a proven thing versus atomized “juices”.

I’m not telling anyone what to do. I’m just open about my distrust with these things.

I know to many people that did “safe things” that have proven long term problems… even too much cardio! lol

5 Likes

Primarily an issue in factory workers exposed to massive doses of the stuff. I don’t vape flavours anyway.

Is it safe proven and effective? No.

The results of long term exposure to smoking anything is premature death.

So pick your poison I guess. I vote no combustion. Which is one of the reasons why I prefer to smoke hash. Less smoke same reward.

7 Likes

It could be worse.

https://www.churnmag.com/news/1942-study-uncovers-incredible-health-benefits-of-inhaled-propylene-glycol/

Here’s a better link:

PG was used in hospital air conditioning systems from what I’ve perused online. Not sure if thats still common practice.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

4 Likes

And here I am getting prepared. I figure I’ll do 30ml because that’s what this little flask will hold.

7 Likes

Decarbing in a mason jar can also work to reduce smell.

Might be able to skip the PG with something like a Divine Tribe or Yocan Evolve. But I’m all for doing science, especially weed science.

4 Likes

Does Mrs. Foreigner have a hair straightener? I’ve used one with temp control before, using a round orange pekoe tetley teabag and some parchment paper, came out great.

7 Likes