Anyone suffering from depersonalization regularly?

Interesting thread…
My older brother , now 56 , has been an actor his entire life and chose the career while still in high school. He has a deep disassociation disorder and has ended up admitting himself to the psych ward at least once while a second was triggered by the stop smoking drug zyban.
Anyhow… these actors , after so many weeks to months and for many successful actors/actresses they need to maintain and refine a character for years. This leads to finding themselves in a mental conundrum that is the realization that in all those roles, who are they? Where in that soup of talent is the “real me”. I suppose its hard to imagine unless its happening to you but it is a big deal in not only the performing arts but in any creative expression that depends on your work being accepted by the masses for you to get paid or gain recognition. My brother lost himself for a good while but seems a bit more grounded these days. Events in the world are triggers for him for some reason and like me… he is not comfortable outside his immediate circle of norms…
Then there is me… not comfortable outside my immediate circle of norms “but” I have the ability to throw a switch and adapt and become what I need to be in that moment if that makes sense. Still genuine but also not the norm… My other problem is dreams… I have had some pretty crazy dream episodes in my life from a very young age. I still remember dreams I had when i was 9… recurred for weeks. I’ve had dreams that predicted things and my wife has been blown away several times over the 16 years we have been together. A room mate of mine who now lives in ontario but we shared a house for 5 years or so… he is always calling me to ask what dreams I’ve had lately. I made a prediction in august 2019 that something big was coming… covid came next… my buddy asked me what he should do with the savings he had piling up… I told him to divest from the banks and turn everything into physical, in his hand, Gold or Silver. His bank was frozen after supporting Canada’s Freedom Convoy and he called me to thank me for my advice. I smoke weed for my physical disabilities but I also smoke weed to stop the dreams LOL
Weed also lets me find a groove where I can socialize with people, even meet new people and without that social lubricant… I don’t function too well around people I don’t know.
I’m okay with it.

5 Likes

Just saw this interview with Post Malone. It’s a good one.

3 Likes

brilliant equation and worded perfectly.

you sound better than my doctor🙂

1 Like

This is a very interesting thread and I of course encourage anyone experiencing mental health concerns to see a doctor or therapist. Lots of good advice around BPD and PTSD which both commonly have depersonalization as a symptom.

I want to throw out that ADHD also has depersonalization as a symptom. ADHD is very misunderstood but it’s getting better. I meet a lot of stoners with undiagnosed ADHD. Anyone can feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk about ADHD or would like resources to learn more.

4 Likes

I just want to say I was late to cannabis. I was 39, well maybe 20 more :rofl: I had this issue for many years before.
I was told it was due to so much going on in life, depression and anxiety. For me it became less because I had retired and the kids grown from when it started.

:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes

ADHD+Aspie here, depersonalization is something I deal with on some level quite often. At least when the cannabis does it to me, it feels a little more gentle. It’s sort of your identity fracturing a bit and reassembling in my experience. It does get somewhat less jarring after so many trips, but… yeah. It sort of takes you away for a little bit. Hope it gets better man. Keep talking about it. Don’t close yourself off from others. It’s really good about making that an enticing option, but falling into that hole does a lot of damage.

Feel free to hit me up if you need to chat or something. Falling into the void isn’t always fun.

1 Like