Anyone use a whorled phyllotaxy for breeding?

Love to see what magic you can work :tophat: :rabbit: :eye:

1 Like

Yes this is showing traits of a polyploid plant i had, and it grew into a flat stem mutant ! not too rare but not too common

3 Likes

It’s called a whorled phyllotaxy. I have a Locomotion cut with this trait at the moment. Usually it stays in the apical meristem but can sometimes show up in other branches on the plant from time to time.

6 Likes

for some reason I can’t copy and paste from "Tinytuttle grow chronicles " it’s over there take a peek! Sorry!
My Mercedes plant!!!

1 Like

Can’t see your pic dude reupload it

@Dee.S73 is right now growin same Jeep’s BubbleHaze trifoliate plants:

1 Like

Anyone know of a strain with the tri fol dominate trait or a pure tri foliated strain?? Would it even be worth the effort to try to keep this trait?

1 Like

there was a thread, not sure how it ended. lots of times the plant grows out of it. would be interesting to isolate and stabilize that trait though.

1 Like

The strain ended up not making it through the first round of selection.

Mr.nice seeds shit has been known to have these traits.

Trifoliate is to have three leaflets per leaf, this has three leaves per node. A trifoliate would be like the second set of true leaves or the new growth when you over prune an afghan. A whorled phyllotaxy is not entirely uncommon in cannabis as far as I can tell from my limited number of years growing.

2 Likes

Careful…

2 Likes

Careful, really? With what? Like I said “usually”. I have also had plants similar to the one posted above. Like I also said it’s not uncommon.

2 Likes

A meristem is not “branches or leaf growth”. It is a type of undifferentiated cell tissue, and is located at any place on a plant (roots and all) where growth can occur.

In my experience majority of trifoliates “fix” themselves after a bit of growing, and they stop doing the trifoliate thing.

I wonder if one could somehow get it to be a staying trait. Because that would be like the Cannabis 2.0.

1 Like

The apical meristem of any plant with a lead like a hemlock or cannabis is the top of the plant or dominant lead.

Apical Meristem is a very specific type of cellular tissue.

A region containing actively or potentially actively dividing cells, including initials and their immediate undifferentiated derivatives. Some consider a meristem to consist only of initials but the difficulty in recognizing a boundary between initials and their immediate derivatives has led many to consider the term in the broader sense including undifferentiated nondividing cells. Some meristems, such as axillary buds, are inactive for much of the time, their cells being potentially capable of active division (see apical dominance). Meristems may be *apical , axillary, *lateral , *marginal , or *intercalary.

To be certain…

http://www.biologydiscussion.com/essay/plant-tissues-essay/essay-on-the-classification-of-meristems-plant-tissues-botany/76937

1 Like

Cannabis is apical dominant, therefore the apical meristem is at the tip of the plant, apical = apex. I find it utterly amusing you are picking this apart and still using the term tri-foliate which is 100% wrong.

2 Likes

Hello @Hoodini and welcome to OG!

I joined these two threads so everyone can read up on the old info we had about whorled phillotaxy and also it compiles the info better for all the noobs to try and find it!

Hope it’s ok!

HppHrvst :robot:

1 Like

Doesn’t sound genetic if this is the case

I have no issue with the Tri-foliate being abjectly wrong.

There appear to be some knits to pick in here and some day I will get through all of it.

I thank you for your respectful responses.

3 Likes