Anyone use a whorled phyllotaxy for breeding?

Seven days later the subnode takes over

It’s whorledness seems to be over it is now just a miscreant growing in pairs instead of threes and a branch stuck out of it’s side we will keep an eye on it

5 Likes

I don’t like the term “whorled” but yes, twenty years ago i’ve experimented to the bone this specific expression of cannabis. To the double-ovary flower structure that you can see in the first pic, wich is indirectly a linked trait at a certain level. The albinos leaf is bonus.

Am i using it for breeding today ? No. But it was a passionnating experience, full of knowledges on IBL depression and on the different class of mutations that occur in this specific context.

10 Likes

Here is my whirly bird and Houston I think we have a problem I think I see a male preflower of sorts , please experienced growers look and give your input.

Another one on the other side
There they are right in the center of the nodes “knuckle”
Nice healthy roots

Maybe I should cut it up for cloning practice? It has a total of four growth tips to work with and I do need cloning help/practice

2 Likes

Have you guys had any of this before… Funny huh? Does it mean anything… Like triple the harvest… Maybe.

1 Like

Yep, there’s a thread for it even :grin: I’ve got a Blueberry going with this happy little mutation. It’s the four-leaf clover of weed growing.

4 Likes

Nice one, @oranje! I moved it.

1 Like

I just had a seedling with three cotyledons. It shot up to about 3 inches tall, turned dark green and toppled over dead! Never grew any normal leaves.

1 Like

Look at this one… Seems to be doing well. Dutch Passion White Widow Auto.

1 Like

I’ve got a baby Blueberry joining the club. I hope that this lovely mutation survives cloning at the very least, as I’m liking the foliage density.

1 Like

@Viva_Mexico says it will not clone that if you do it will stop,
I have been subjecting mine to LST it quit with the tri leaves but does continue to throw erratic and out of place multiples

2 Likes

It will if the phyllotaxy shape is a mutation, each clone of the "whorled’ mother was like that :

Phillotaxy in cannabis is maybe the most important marker of the genetic stability, you have to make the difference between an weak specimens that react to the fight ( stress, regeneration etc …), a siamese, and a “hardcoded” phyllotaxy that stay stable from the seedlings shape to the cut.

9 Likes

I had some mighty mite seedlings that went trifoliate and some roadkill skunk x deep chunk indica f2’s that did that frequently.

Is this a case of a plant being “Diploid” where it has 2 sets of chromosomes?

Cannabis is usually diploid. So are most plants and animals. The three leaf thing is just a mutation. There might be some cannabis plants that are polyploid and have more than two sets of chromosomes. I’m not sure if that would relate to the whorled mutation though.

3 Likes

1 Like

Yup. It may grow out, or continue to tri-foliate. Don’t give up on this one yet.

2 Likes

Any idea what causes this?? I’ve had about 5 out 12 that have one normal cotyledon and one heart shaped cotyledon and then this tri-foliated one

Genetics. What are you running?

It’s my own breed i grew outdoors and it intersexed last season and this is what happened I guess. I think I want to try to keep this tri foliation if I can.

1 Like

Cool. No reason yet to get rid of the plant. Do you know the parentage of these?

Sometimes, you can go back and try to figure out where the mutations started. Going forward, I would be very selective about which males survive. They should be very vigorous, with normal appearing structure, and of course, smell good.

Do keep posting. Want to see what happens.

2 Likes