Anyone use a whorled phyllotaxy for breeding?

I have no issue with the Tri-foliate being abjectly wrong.

There appear to be some knits to pick in here and some day I will get through all of it.

I thank you for your respectful responses.

3 Likes

I found this article interesting.

http://www.cannabisgreen.com/apical-pruning-right/

1 Like

this is very cool thread… there is great info and also there are some pretty big words… i dont fully understand some of it, but its neat to read…
In my expeicene any plants that showed that trait, turned out to be female. Sometimes they were the runts, other times they were just aevreage… i never had WP plant that was the standout of the run…
Its a weird trait that pops up and goes away within lines.

2 strians that i have that immediately come to mind that display WP are my strawberry from Australia and my bcga killer queen from richard.
Now, its interesting that these 2 strains dont always show WP… I believe that its a trait thats hardwired into a plants genetic code, but its governed, or controlled, by other factors, like environment or food or something, bc the physical manifestation of WP comes and goes. Something has to cause that genetic swtich to flciker on and off, ya know what I mean?..

I have have instances where it shows in one plant and not another… I mean, clones from the same mother, ran side by side, same room, same everything. And im like, Im dong eveyrthing the same, bc it s the same fucking run man, so im like WTF? ya know, but, in this line of work, there are always more pressing issues, and investigating WP always goes by the wayside…

An example of how WP shows up in one clone and not another…, this latest run of my bcga KQ… all were normal, except one which displayed WP. all came from same mother… here are some photos of 2 clones, one shows normal growth, other shows the WP trait.
Note the flat stem and “self-topping” of one and round stem, of the normal one… It what ive always referred as “exploding bud growth”, its like the plant cannot contain itself, or something…

here is a top view:

the normal one … note the round stem:

bcga KQ clone displaying WP with flat stem:

and closeups of the two examples:

Why the fuck does this happen? IDK man… like i said earlier, the seedlings displaying Wp are always female, but often the runts and undesirable plants and dont make to the “keeper” phase… I cant recall every keeping a seedling with WP for an extended period of time… The strains i have that display WP, such as the bcga KQ examples above, didn’t show WP as seedlings… it wasnt until much later… so i’m think maybe it has something to do with genetic drift? IDK but its weird…
yes i have bred with lines that at one point or another have displayed Wp… it comes and it goes, and ive never really tried to breed away or towards WP… im concerned with other factors, like flowering time, yield, taste, resin content, etc…

8 Likes

I’ll just start a new grow diary then lol

2 Likes

What do you call it when you have a single Coty leaf and a single first leaf?
But wait…every stem and fan leaf grows from that exact same very first node.
I topped it because every new leaf grew to smaller and smaller sizes.
Instead of two tops growing up, one top became a main stalk while the other grew like a side branch.
Be back with pics.

its crazy aint it, the flat stem and a big top bud gives it away. lol
i had a faciated bud with round stems from a cream caramel, pic below

3 Likes

i allso had it do the same on a old ugorg line called smellyberry made by oldtimer1 of uk420, i am on uk420 i have been for years. thought id have a look at overgrow, and i like the site so far.
pic below is the smellyberry i grew out in organic soil, under 2 x 600w hps using bat guano powder and seaweed extract mostly . hope you like all:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cannabis usually comes with two cotyledon, and is classified as a dicot. Other plants come with a single cotyledon and are classified as monocots, so you could call it that. I would call it a culled plant and move on personally. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

What a beauty, looks like a dream to trim!

1 Like

i would have but i was testing these bagseeds for ratios. I used it to stress test.
Here is where i topped it. Every shoot was emerging from the same node.

After topping the left shoot grew semi normal at first. But the one on the right grew thick and exactly like a main stalk instead of a new top.
Its side shoots emerged days later.

I was unsure if they were selfed, a rogue herm, or a male in the room.
Some ounces there were 100 viable ones and 300 premies, and some ounces there were 6-10 and 0 premies.

Strain is unknown. 2 main phenos i see. Except one reached 9 leaves at maturity. The rest maxed at 7.
Desperate times and whatnot.
I did get a true male btw. 1 so far, fingers crossed.

SN: Never thought id get to ask you this, been seeing you for years here and elsewhere.
Are you in the midwest?

2 Likes

Here is the left branch from the front.

And here is the right branch from front.

3 Likes

Whorled phylotaxy phenos are common in G13 crosses like KQ. It shows up in General’s Daughter regularly. I’ve never seen it become dominant, and usually individuals that show it end up being sub-par plants overall. The extra node sets become a jammed-up mess of a bud prone to rot and stunting. Often, clones grow out of the trait and revert to typical phylotaxy. I’d consider it a mutational expression brought on by a recessive gene and triggered by environmental/hormonal factors, hence and coming and going within the same clone set.

6 Likes

Ahh the same day i typed this another male showed up.

Its more like a deformation of the gene than it being a mutation. Many people have tried to breed this trait, same thing with the fasciation with no luck… As mentioned, the plants eventually grow normally as they should, except for the ones displaying fasciation.

1 Like

Any new updated knowledge on WP?
This is Fighting Buddha just being born, I am curious about this trait, first time I see this

FB Doctor Magnetto

4 Likes

this is so cool, what happened next?