Anyone use either of these as a timer?

Wondering if any one uses these as a timer, and if so how well they work? Seems the only con on the more expensive model in the rating/feedback isnt about the device itself but about having to create an account on the app to use it, that does not bother me at all so that is not a con in my book.

3 Likes

That depends on what you are planning to run with those plugs. 15A is not too hard to overload.

6 Likes

Mechanical timers carry more electrical load, easier to setup, and use half the electricity of a digital timer. Plus you do not have some app loaded on your phone that is tracking you.

12 Likes

not to mention the cost. mechanical timers cost about half of that first one.

3 Likes

I’ve always done fine, with air conditioner rated mechanicals myself, even when running 1k hps mag ballasts, with them.

2 Likes

The breaker for the circut that my lights is plugged into is only a 15 amp. So that isnt a concern really.

2 Likes

Not worried about being tracked, if you own a cell phone or use google your already being tracked lol

Cost isnt an issue on this my girl wants to buy me a gift, this is what im leaning toward. I also hate mechanical timers. Honestly If I had my way, My timer would have 3 buttons, one that says on(24 hrs on) one that says 18/6 and one that says 12/12 and nothing else. You would push the one you want and that is how many hours it would run. I am looking for ultra simplicity.

1 Like

Maybe something like this would be better if you want a smart plug. Like others have mentioned I would go with something rated 20a.

https://www.harborfreight.com/outdoor-duo-dual-outlet-smart-plug-57727.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12169054043&campaignid=12169054043&utm_content=125548905268&adsetid=125548905268&product=57727&store=236&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrKuw9dfihQMVaRutBh0yEg0JEAQYASABEgJHW_D_BwE

1 Like

That has serious potential. The big reason I am not concerned about that 15a rating, is that the circut breaker in the breaker box for the house that runs the circut that my light is plugged into is also a 15 amp breaker.

1 Like

I haven’t used these at all, but I have two govee dehumidifiers and two govee heaters that have both served me really well. :purple_heart::love_you_gesture:t2: Mostly. One dehu has some quirks.

2 Likes

Plus, My light only pulls 3 amps, watts divided by volts equals amps, so 400/120=3.33(repeating), unless im calculating it wrong? My light is the only thing plugged into the timer, one 400w Led unit. And I have to be under the 15a limit on the circut or I would trip the breaker in the breaker box because the circut is on a 15a Breaker.

Honestly, I am more concerned on IF these units can be used for an 18/6 and 12/12 schedule than the amps.

1 Like

Funny you should say that, I have never owned a mobile device, smart phone, lap top or car with onstar in my fifty-four+ years on this planet. I do not use google, it has been beyond worthless since 2020-2021.

5 Likes

Well then you are likly not being tracked lol. I do however already have a smart phone, I use google daily, and I also use social media so im already being tracked whats one more app tracking me lol.

They’re tracking your every move as well. Maybe not every move if you don’t have a cell phone but you’re on the internet. Patriot act took away all our rights of privacy. Do you have a real ID or a passport? If so they’ve mapped your face and I imagine your car’s registered…

2 Likes

True, Honestly the only way your not being tracked in 2024 is if you live 100% Off grid, Have a well for water, solar panels or wind turbines for electricty, no phone at all, no internet at all, no cable tv at all, No Email address at all, no social security number,no birth certificate, no job, etc. Its honestly almost impossible in 2024 to avoid being tracked in SOME way.

3 Likes

Also, I am ex army infantry, I highly doubt the government would teach me the skills I learned in the Infantry without at least keeping tabs on where I am and what im doing lmao.

3 Likes

Govee is a good brand many usem for rh bluetooth n wifi meters. I have amazon wifi plug relays and no issues and its much more flexible.
I had no luck with cheap mechanical timers.
The amazon wifi plugs click, so they are also mechanical relays but the timing is digital. Probably same for govee they even look identical.
Solid state would be even better.
Anywho get a digital one and dont look back. If it makes them feel better you can always tell them you got a mechanical one and enjoy the progamming of the wifi one in private. They do support local lan too (no internet required but you need to be on the same network, ive tested this on my cell in airplane mode).

2 Likes

I use the Govee because it’s small and I have limited plug space. Overloading it isn’t an issue due to my small tent size and light wattage. Here’s my gripe:

To use the timer, you have to use the app. If you get a power outage, the plug defaults to whatever cycle was happening when the power went out. If you run autos, not a huge issue. If you run photos, it can fuck you. Had it happen to me, while out of town. Power went out during lights on, and when it came back, the plug defaulted to on 24/0. When I got back into town I realized what happened and reset the 12/12 timer but the damage was done and the plants did a weird reveg, lots of fox tailing due to the double stretch, super long flower time… if you have the space for mechanical timers, use those. Even the digital timers that don’t require an app I would recommend over the Govee smart plug because they have an internal battery that saves the programmed timer.

2 Likes

:bulb:not a bad idea :bulb:

1 Like