anyone with firsthand experience with hernia mesh?

no shit there i was, smoking a bong, then got a hell of a cough. we’ve all been there, done that, right? imagine my surprise when i felt a softball sticking out of my abdomen! yep, i got a hernia from a bong hit. it helps that i had my prostate taken out in march and this was september. i’ve been wrapping it with a belt they gave me at the er and it keeps it in, mostly. it’s getting to be a pain in the arse though.

i heard from some that the mesh can be worse than just having the hernia. my ex brother in law got it and likes it, but i’ve also heard about hernia mesh recalls. my sister said they don’t use that stuff any more, but it wasn’t recalled when they were using it like the stuff they use now. i’d hate to get it and have to have it removed later, or have it kill me. last time i had surgery, i went septic and almost died, spent 3 days in sicu. not so keen on getting another surgery now.

6 Likes

sorry to hear this. i know someone close to me that did the mesh 20 years ago. had a ruff go, but had it redone, and he’s been good for years.

seems to me it is like anything else, knee replacements, hearts, etc…if the doctor is experienced and frosty you should be fine. get some hack to do it for half price you might be in for it.

1 Like

I had it done about 40 years ago. Never had a problem with it. Was a little rough right after the surgery but I think that is to be expected.

1 Like

I have the new mesh, since the recall. Seems fine. Sometimes I question if slight discomfort is coming from it, but never long enough to really be concerned.

2 Likes

thanx guys. i think i need to just get it and be done with it.

I had a massive hiatal hernia. My stomach made its way up and out on the left side of my esophagus. I starved to death slowly over a period of 6 years. Suffered horribly, getting worse each year. In 2017 after 6 years being miss diagnosed. They figured it out and 6 1/2 hr. surgery “Laparoscopic” They put in a mesh that grows into tissue. Haven’t had a problem one. Mine, was what they call a “toupee” saved my life. :peace_symbol:

Not my experience :100:

4 Likes

I had it done in end of September. The surgeon that did it is the one my wife works with as a first assistant. My wife could not assist on this one due to the family connection obviously. Went super and it was done via DaVinci Robot, she made small incision in bellybutton and one about two inches away on both sides. I walked out of hospital about hour and half after waking up (you can’t drive still little jacked up from anesthesia) and was sore for about a week and no lifting much heavier than a quart of milk or so for a couple more weeks. Don’t fuck up what she fixed and let it heal. Had no stitches since the cuts were small they use glue that will come off on its own over a couple weeks. Depending on where it’s done may have some bruising purple on in the area. Mine was down low and my bag and around that area turned a shade of purple I’d never thought I’d see on my balls. Did not hurt but looked funny. My wife performs these at least a couple times a week on average and says it’s typical.

1 Like

I had a double hernia operation when I was 5, so 1974. My mom was bathing me and noticed one of my lil balls was drooping. I did it swinging from a branch and landing on my knees on the concrete.

I can’t imagine. It was considered a major operation then and even up until the laparoscopy which is pretty good still I hear. You would be surprised how many surgeries like that are now done laparoscopy now plus even improved by davinci robot. Surgeon still does it but robot makes it better. She is watching a monitor and using robotic controls at a desk several feet away from patients. Robot is “docked” with surgical table after patient is under. I woke up with some graffiti on my junk from the other nurses that took over for my wife. Ha Ha !! Still got to get even somehow.

Edit to brag kind of. I got my hernia from my wife playing mustang sally on my saddle. I probably mis stated that so I will just be blunt. She was bouncing and grinding like she was in a zone. I had to throw her off because it felt like one of the boys was crushed. She is making up for it. Its why I grow cause it helps put her in a zone.

2 Likes

https://www.davincisurgery.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4uCcBhDdARIsAH5jyUkDh2S32-4BjAzgUcwex7G2A57eScqb5DZ7neOjgqeBUtkxaCuzrXUaAjzKEALw_wcB

I have two diagonal scars about 3 inches long on each side coming down from my pubic bone. 1974 remember getting in the hospital, a plastic Batman that had a parachute.

yeeehaaa :rofl:

2 Likes

10 years with no problems. Until a months long cough that was so bad the mesh area got pretty sore. Not good coughing that hard. Nope.

2 Likes

Ok getting older is terrifying & I’ll never lift anything heavy again after reading this.

I’m also now scared to cough, poop & have sex.

4 Likes

I had an umbilical hernia (belly button) , and an epigastric hernia (above your belly button).
I had both “fixed” with the mesh at the same time in one surgery last January.
No stitches, recovery took forever because the wound took so long to heal.
I still have pain in my hernia areas. I can be just laying in bed and all of a sudden it will hurt.
I believe I will be stuck with the on going pain for the rest of my life.

I also have a hiatal hernia. Perhaps I should get another endoscopy. It has been years since my last one.

That’s why God invented the Cowgirl position.

2 Likes

You got to die from something. Id rather be fucked to death than die old and drooling. Not sure if thats gonna happen but I have a dream.

1 Like

Interesting read as im currently waiting on an operation date for an inguinal hernia to get a mesh put in. I cant sneeze or cough or stand without it coming out and im currently laying down 95% of the time due to discomfort, docs told me not to lift anything or strain any so i bloody hope the mesh aint bad :rofl: i want to get up and go for a walk and make a snowman when it finally snows here hopefully i dont kill myself doing it :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

yeah, that robot is what just about killed me, or maybe i popped a stitch. i walked out after a couple of hours, and then proceeded to leak urine into my abdomen for 10 days. would have been alright had i not went septic and insisted on waiting on my next appointment instead of going to the er. doc said i was the toughest sob he had ever seen, that it must have been excruciating. it was and it took 3 days in sicu to recover. doc said if i had waited til the appointment the next day i’d have died. now i have a mission and some extra time to fulfill it. anyone who wants to entertain themselves with the story, it’s here, a pdf download. i like to write. thanx all, enjoy the day while i go make an appointment.

2 Likes

I had mine done 6 years ago and no problems. It was preventing me from working so I’m really glad to get it done. That and my knee replacement were both life changing from where I was. You’ll be glad you did it. peace

1 Like