Are bottled microbe products a ripoff? How can you be sure without a microscope?

Word, I just found this:

And this guy’s post:

Cool stuff, I’m going to keep learning about this

1 Like

Very interesting thanks for the heads up.
I know little myself.
I saw how valuable this could be back in 2013, but it never gained traction.
Here is a link to my thoughts back then, not much, but something to start.

1 Like

Sorry if I’m side tracking this thread but I see you mentioned KNF. I’ve always wanted to switch to KNF for my 50gal coots mix outdoor runs. It always seems to have a pay wall behind learning about it. It’s also hard to find a clear cut feeding schedule for a weekly or bi weekly feeding. Do you have any social media websites/you tubers you recommend?

2 Likes

I found these to download but I haven’t had time to get into them:

SA-19.pdf (1.3 MB)

4 Likes

Thanks for dropping the links dirt, I’ve got something to read tonight and at work tomorrow!

2 Likes

Yup those two are great resources.

Takes a lot of material to do it in the 50gal buckets you see everyone do.
I know some Dragonfly certified farms consult for other farms and have those farms also grow things like horsetail and comfrey. Then they come harvest the plants and bring em back to their farm to ferment.

2 Likes

Cho’s son also made his own tek.
I cant remember which one is which, but I wanna say the son uses alcohol, salt, and sugar. .

For example, you can take a plant and put it in a sealed jar with equal weight amount of brown sugar. The sugar pulls the water out of the plant material and allows it to ferment. Salt dies the same
The alcohol is used to make what are basically plant tinctures.

2 Likes

Can’t seem to find this product. Can you lol it plz. Thanks

Grundle

I’ve been considering doing this with my fireplace ashes for the same reason, only cheaper :joy: Would likely take care of my silica and possibly K needs as well, if I didn’t decide to leach out the salts first. Apparently gladiators used to do it as a sort of ye olde gatorade

2 Likes

nah it’s pappa who has the thing for brown sugar. The dad did KNF, the son did JADAM.

On a related note, you might be interested in trying to make garbage enymes - basically a DIY vinegar/alcohol solution chock full of enzymes and I think plant growth promoting substances. It’s touted as multi-purpose, from a household cleaning chemical to fertilizer to waster water remediator and has seen some scientific attention due to the latter. My gut thinks it might be more effective than plain white vinegar for these kinds of extracts/ferments, and I’ve been very curious to try it out. If I ever decide to get up off my butt and do it that is :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s sick, thank you.
I love mountain-tek … That tek you develop when shoe-stringing a grow alone on a mountain top and it takes an hour to drive to a corner store.

3 Likes

You’d like this one, guy said what if we made biochar from spent coffee grounds and used it to leach phosphates from toxic soil to make time release phosphate fertilizer:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/366022080_Mg_modified_nanobiochar_from_spent_coffee_grounds_Evaluation_of_the_phosphate_removal_efficiency_and_its_application_as_a_phosphorous_release_fertilizer

3 Likes

Has anyone put their microbe product under a microscope to see if it is alive?
You may be surprised.

1 Like

I’ve put coco run off under a microscope its very interesting.
2023_1029_020451_923_1
Coco fibre, mineral salts with 4/5ppm chlorine 3x daily.
2e028f0299f71bda90173559bf7b632667842af7_2_674x499 Screenshot_20231128_214227_Gallery aceff676a34f7e0d4ba1b24d1a2cd727b476f74a_2_341x500
Unused coco has lots of microscopic life but its not as varied as used coco as far as I can tell.

5 Likes

Very interesting thank you very much for your reply.
The video is very cool, it looks like a space war…LOL

Do you know what these organisims are?
They seem to survive well in chlorine, that is interesting too.

Thanks again for your contribution.
Shag

2 Likes

@shag hey bud, I’m sorry idk what the creatures are?

I’ve got a E book to check through for iD but I’ve not had time to apply myself to it.

Thank you

1 Like

When I make LAB’s for my gardens, I never use all the sugar that is called for in this https://www.unconventionalfarmsupply.com/lactobacillus-serum recipe.
As I understand it, if your want to preserve the LAB’s to store it outside of the refrigerator you add all that sugar.
I just take a couple of shots of LAB’s to my water tote, then fill it with 8-10 gallons of water.
Since my medium mix, gets mixed, with kelp/alfalfa as they produce composting microbes, in the storage tote. I add other DTE items as well, the kelp/alfalfa will feast on all the root matter I leave behind as I’m processing spent pots.
I get a beautiful white fuzz, that covers the top of the medium, after resting a couple of weeks after I mix it up.
I also hang a bag of DTE’s, Bio Alive maybe 2 tablespoons worth, in the LAB’s tote, over night, along with a tablespoon worth of dry molasses to bubble over night, before I apply it.
I know I give up some bud size, and I’m fine it.
I went organic due to it works great, I have almost zero bug issues now, I do not chase PH adjustment anymore. Also, all of our kitchen scraps go to either worm bins for EWC production, or gets slurried to rapid feed my outdoor compost pile.
I’ve done away with almost everything I started out using, bottled nutrients, acids up/down, yellow traps, premixed mixes. Now just some Down To Earth goodies. My medium gets made, and reused many times, as large chunk perlite/coco husks/ a single bale of Sunshine Mix #4, last me a year our longer now, in my perpetual set up.
I never set out to be an organic gardener, now, I’m all in as it so so much cheaper to get bud than ever before.

I try not to be a hateful person as it kills the spirit but I truly despise Big Mike and AN.

Edited: Cos I went off at the mouth about AN/Mike.

1 Like

Nice Wu. It’s good to see it working as Ive found a good supplier of VAM, EM1 and a Solid flaked Kashi product here in the UK.

Will def be trying this out. Hope your doing well as I noticed you had left a job & went on retreat. :ok_hand: :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Has this been posted?
https://www.oregon.gov/oda/programs/Pesticides/Fertilizers/Pages/ReportsPublicationsForms.aspx
Scroll down to ‘micro results’ for a year…2022 is the latest data.

1 Like