Reliable Safe Clip On Fan

I need a new six inch clip on fan for my grow tent. Is there a reliable safe low noise clip on fan out there?

I have purchased countless clip on fans and most die in less than a year. Sometimes you get lucky and get a few years out of it. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, they all get bad reviews for reliability and there are also claims of some brands melting or catching fire.

Has anyone found a brand or specific model they can recommend for use in a tent? I must not be the only one with this problem, based on the Amazon reviews.

Note: The fan must be able to be clipped to the tent polls as there is not enough space for a floor standing fan.

8 Likes

They all suck. I have had them all. The last one i bought was a secret jardin monkey fan that i had high hopes. Bearing starting making noise before one harvest.

6 Likes

If you must use a clip on fan. Drill a hole in the motor so you can grease the bearing.

5 Likes

Amazon has one that comes in a 2 pack it’s of the same quality as all the rest but the 2 pack makes it worthwhile…Amazon has a lot of grow stuff in 2 packs like timers

3 Likes

I boguht 2 mini usb fan and modified them a bit and put clipons and change the cable so I didn’t have to use the USB output. Hold many years… after I while I bought a white one steady as f and its still going strong

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about using PC fans instead.

Right now I’m actually not using any clip fans in my 2x2 tents. Instead I just run 180cfm exhaust fans at full speed and change the air out multiple times a minute. That plus defoliation seems to be enough.

I just don’t like the idea of those fans being such a fire hazard.

8 Likes

The bearings in them fail way to often. Ive seen too many melted houses being posted on forums. Im going to bust out the old drill and add a greese fitting to the secret monkey fan that only lasted one harvest before the bearing started squeeking. See if it quiets it up. Tired of buying fans every two months.

5 Likes

This thread came at the right time. I have been thinking about this myself. I’ve seen to many posts about faulty fans and am paranoid about mine cathing fire.

Im interested in PC fans too.

Anyone got any ideas how to mount them to a tent pole?

4 Likes

I also have the secret Jardin monkey fan. I bought it for the design. It lasted almost two years before it started squeaking. I think Vivosun has a new design that also rotates. Can’t say anything regarding quality though.

2 Likes

Scratch that. Just read the reviews on Amazon about the Vivosun fans. Yeah, STAY AWAY! :fire::astonished:

2 Likes

I’m using a Walmart clip fan now. It wont stay put on the poles for shit but, it clips to the side of my light. I hope these aren’t known to be a fire hazard?!?!

1 Like

I have screwed computer fans to wood and then zip tied them to the tent. I use the Honeywell whole room fans now.

2 Likes

I’ve had this one since oct of 2019, runs 24/7 and haven’t had any issues so far. It’s DC so virtually no chance of fire either like the AC one’s on amazon. I need to buy another one or two.

Edit: it was NOT $52 when I ordered it :laughing: I think I paid around $10-15 originally, will have to find it or something similar elsewhere.

4 Likes

What is the fire issue?

I have 2 of those in my junk fan pile at home. Its the bearings failing in the cheap ones that are causing fires. Those brushless dc ones just quite running on me. They did last a little longer then the cheapos though.

2 Likes

Bearings failing and overheating the housings. If you hear a squeek get rid of it. Not worth the risk. Im using the honeywell home fans like someone else mentioned above. Just started using it but i see a lot of folks using them here lately. So i got high hopes for it. Lol. Cross my fingers.

6 Likes

You’re not gonna anything in consumer grade fan products that will last longer than 1-2 years especially running 24/7.

5 Likes

@Grohio What model of Honeywell fan are you using?

1 Like

I will look at the box on my lunch break and get back with ya.

1 Like

Well the grow specific tent fans are failing at an even faster rate then that for me. So im gonna have faith in the honeywell. Lots of people are using them and reporting long life with them.

3 Likes