Are USB fans viable for a grow tent?

Noctua are great fans and I’ve used them in several computer builds but they are renowned for being the best noise/performance ratio not the CFM king. If moving air is a higher priority over noise then there are considerably cheaper 12v options that will move a lot more air.

Also keep in mind the noise levels in fan reviews are relative to an acceptable noise level in a water cooled rig sitting beside you at a desk or HTPC in a living room compared to what we might consider acceptable noise level in self contained grow tent in most likely its own room. In my opinion noise is a non issue for tent use especially the marginal noise levels high performance 12v fans produce.

Long story short you are paying a premium for quiet fans when you buy Noctua and you don’t need to be.

*edit: Noctua’s also have good static pressure but once again non issue unless you are using it to push air through a filter (or radiator like what it was designed for). For air circulation its not really a big deal.

1 Like

My clip fan capped out on me so I got a little Honeywell fan and it works way better. I was concerned that the air flow was too strong, but the more I grow the more I realize just how hardy these plants really are. I use small USB fans from home depot for my drying box and my small vegging bin, which is really just where 3 plants grow covered in saran wrap to keep humidity in. Anyway yeah they work for some things better than others

1 Like

Here’s what we came up with. It seems to be keeping a pretty good airflow on all the plants except the middle one, but I didn’t have alot of time to really evaluate what is going on.

5 Likes