At what point do you ditch a seedling?

Hey guys, I could use some advice in a laggy seedling I’m dealing with.

Just curious how you guys handle this situation?

Ok so i have this one seedling, it’s definitely lagging. See for yourself:

The one in the back is 11 days old and has already been sampled for sex testing. The front lagger is 12 days old. I’m considering throwing it away because it’s just not progressing normally, and to be honest I’m tired of dealing with runty plants with abysmal yields :man_shrugging:

Opinions? Any feedback from you guys is greatly appreciated :+1:

5 Likes

Unless you’re hurting for space, I usually let them be. I’d say a good majority of the runts I’ve seen from seed, grew out of it after a couple weeks. Sometimes the runts are the best plants too but not always :upside_down_face:

18 Likes

Prolly some issue growing roots… maybe overwatered or ph out of wack… if you can get the roots going it will prolly bounce back, but it might take some time.

If the genetics are precious id try, if nothing special just toss it…

:peace_symbol:

5 Likes

I had one about as small a a piece of grass starting off but after a couple days (maybe a week) in 24hr lighting it caught up and can’t really tell it was so small other than from the pics

So I guess it really boils downt to if u want to mess with it or not

3 Likes

Usually ditch runt seedling autoflowers but photos never bc can always get them back to health unless it’s disease related. When popping double digit seeds of same strain try to pick strongest and will cull weaklings

1 Like

Never. No plant left behind. It better die off or it doesn’t get to clock out.

5 Likes

I let them be for a few weeks, if nothing improve and other seeds are way ahead, I just throw them away
One thing I learned is not to get hung up on runts, just keep at it the keeper will come :wink:

1 Like

Some times they just take their time
And need a little attention

Leave it be , she could turn out to be a beast

I do cull mutants and unhealthy looking ones

2 Likes

Apprecite the feedback, everyone :pray:

1 Like

leave no seedling behind

1 Like

As Said, if precious, ut stays. But if its sitting stalled out for More then 3 weeks, she’s going outside to live

1 Like

Keep the best, cull the rest. Seeds are cheap compared to the time you put into the rest of the grow cycle. No room for slackers.

5 Likes

Michael Jordan was a runt.

Then he changed his diet and became #1

3 Likes

It’s the last of my MountainTop Mint seeds, so my fingers are crossed it’ll pull through :crossed_fingers:

I’ll buy another pack if I have to, this is a neat strain to have around, it can have some weird phenotypes. Even then, when I get weirdo plants, I don’t recall them being so difficult at the seedling stage

1 Like

If you’re not commercial or a breeder, just growing bud for a hobby/personal stash, i say let it stay! As a small scale personal grower, I let runts stay, and have yet to regret it, as they are almost always as good as or better than their fast siblings.

I mean, a lot of people will even breed with OGKB2.0, which I have recently learned is basically guaranteed to give you extremely slow growing plants, but it’s still very popular to breed with. If people are out there willing to flower sativas for 16 weeks, makes sense there are people willing to veg for 12+ weeks

If you’re commercial, give it 3 weeks, tops. If a seedling hasn’t taken off by then, it probably won’t ever.

2 Likes

The less than ideal ones I ditch after the second date usually

5 Likes

@Redrum92 funny you mention OGKB2.0 as just before these two pictured seeds, I was 0/3 germinating OGKB2.0 crosses using my tried/true methods! :man_shrugging: :rofl: lol! I’m usually great at poppin’ beans but I was in a bit of a lull for a while, leading up to the mentioned runt. I even ponied up for nicer coco (switched from years-long usage of Tupur, to Botanicare coco) to account for my transgressions.

2 Likes

Howdy @RookieBuds, there are many popular varieties that are said to be slow starters like Bubba Kush, Triangle Kush, and Blueberry types. Just because something is slow to start doesn’t mean it’s going to be undesirable come harvest time. I think those who keep the runts and such to see how they turn out are the type who also root for the underdogs in life. Making space for their potential.

That said, a buddy of mine culls most all the runts and other undesirables at the seedling stage and seeks out the healthiest most vigorous plants with the qualities, traits, and characteristics pertaining to a given goal. It blows my mind because I’m a root for the underdog type and always think, what about the unknown from that runt seedling or whatever. Buddy consistently has some of the best selections so I truly believe it doesn’t matter as much what is culled or what isn’t; it’s about our hearts intent and that manifests itself in the resulting plants. How we think determines how we feel and how we feel determines how we act. How we act shapes the reality around us type thing.

If the genetics are plentiful and you have a bunch of seeds then it would seem easier to toss the slow starters as they’re more easily replaced but if the genetics are rare, desirable, and/or expensive it’s probably worthwhile to give them a little longer to prove their worth before tossing. Many blessings and much love

6 Likes

I mean, 13 days now. Fuck this thing :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Just one teeny little root-string.
For comparison, here’s the 12 day old seedling alongside the lagger, doing perfectly fine :+1:

1 Like

I’m still very new, and doing my very first shakedown run to get my hydro system set up. However, I started seeds on 7/25, and they sprouted and got to approximately where yours is. Some delays meant that it was in water only for longer than intended, and it just stalled.

I thought I’d killed it or it did the damping thing, but figured I’d let it ride until it was definitely dead. Then I got it into my temporary hydro with half-strength nutrients, and it started tossing out leaves, at least 10 days after the last movement. So it might just need something it’s not getting, and it’ll take off once it gets it.

2 Likes