Attic setup help please

Hey guys, been away a while but i was browsing and had a
So i know theres a lot of you out there very knowlegable in diy. I moved house and was looking at doing up the attic i have electrics up there but its full of loft insulation and no board as you probably could guess, putting boards straight on the insulation is a no no im assuming so are there any diy tricks or guides out there for flooring it on the cheap but safe with a raised floor? All ideas n input is welcome

4 Likes

There is a thread on here were someone did up theirs. I couldn’t find it. Maybe someone else can.

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

There should be rafters that the insulation fits in between. Can you feel down into the insulation and feel wood rafters? They should be 2x8 or 2x10 beams. Not familiar with all building codes but as far as I know all(most) roof truss are shaped like a triangle and the insulation should be on the bottom of those triangle shaped pieces. I’m not a builder but been in and worked in plenty of attics on air conditioning and alarm wiring.

Sometimes the insulation is sprayed in and the rafters are covered.

2 Likes

The insulation is that greyish super fluffy stuff and yeah you can feel the rafters

Maybe put pieces of plywood on top of those rafters. It would compress the insulation into the groves it’s supposed to be in. (Spaces are about 18" between rafters right?

4 Likes

Aren’t rafters 24" on center and walls 16"? Or is it different in different states?

1 Like

I’m sure it depends on location. I’m in a crazy hurricane(sfl) zone so building code is “better” than most places. I’m not a builder but Im just trying to recall.

1 Like

Post up some pictures OP, that would help people help you

3 Likes

He’s uk. It’s 600mm centers over here. Most wayrock boards are 2400 for this reason.

3 Likes

I know here it is 24" on cl with 3/4" sheeting and 16 or 12" on cl for 1/2" sheeting
There is a thread here pine but, I can’t find it.
This person built a frame in between the trust and ran air flow to soffits. I wish I could find it.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Put down 1/2 ply wood screw down to rafters
Your set to put down your Tent
Ventilations important being in the attic you could run your exhaust straight out through the roof vent but you should run an in-line fan and some flexible dock from your air-conditioning / heated space in the house up into your tent !

4 Likes

And don’t run anything if its snowing :rofl:

2 Likes

Looks like your getting plenty of good advise from good folks. I grow in my attic usually through the cooler seasons but am testing out flowering through summer and ive already burnt up more then a few plants. But I adjusted the grow a bit and things are working out a little better.
On average with lights on its a 10 degree difference from outside temps. Couldnt fit large peices of plywood through the opening into the attic so i had to rip them and reconstruct them once I achieved the task of carrying them up a step ladder. Fell out a few times too trying to get back down too so, do be careful.

6 Likes

Let’s see this attic : )
There’s no cheap fixes , materals are expensive these days

1 Like

i used wickes loft boards i think 5 just screwed to the joist removed some of the insulation, not in the loft anymore to fekin hot
they fit through the hatch

2 Likes

A single box will give you enough surface to stand a 4x4 on. Just make sure it’s close to the loft hatch to save the ceilings bellow :rofl:

I was a builder. If the insulation is covering the ceiling joists, DO NOT smash it down, or remove it… it won’t be insulation anymore!

Standard procedure would be to run new joists perpendicular to what you have. These joists should be tall enough to project above the existing insulation.

Another consideration is the depth of the existing CJ’s. They need to be able to take the weight of the new floor.

If they are engineered trusses, you’ll have to be careful not to overload them.

Joist spacing will depend on the thickness of the new decking you decide to put down. For example, for joists at 16" on center (O.C.), 1/2" thick plywood would be sufficient.

Best to see some pics first, though!

4 Likes

It’s not a “living” area. It’s to grow some plants. Flooring for storage would be enough. Just don’t stamp around or the ceiling bellow will drop

4 Likes

I don’t think building control will be involved
: )

2 Likes

not recommending it, it was a necessity the insulation was in 2 layers just removed one and went very light on the weight so as not to over load

1 Like