Autos Done Carty's Way

I followed another auto grower for a while and he transitioned from solo cups to 2 gallon to 10 gallon and blew up some really nice plants. Either way it’s too late now , the seeds are planted and the season is underway.

7 Likes

I personally have never used Solo cups, well, once… we were trying to see who could grow the largest plant in a 20oz solo cup… I was amazed how big photos can be pushed to like that… the guy who won cheated and was running the roots out the bottom into hydro… dik. haha.

I learned this when my buddy Gymshoes (RIP) grew out a bunch of Autos I sent him in these cups and every plant stunted… when I started them in 2005 I was told to never transplant them… but heck, when your starting 10 seeds to get maybe 4 nice females, you do what your room dictates… mine dictated 1gal pots… then up potted the best 4 females after sexing.
They blew up after I up potted them…

Over the past 19yrs I’ve tried everything from topping, FIM’n, bending, supercropping…(pinching) and starting in larger pots…

What works is the method I’ve laid out…
1gal Orchid Pots, for the extra air flow…
Add perlite to your soil mix
No food week 1
If the Auto shows sex in 10 days, toss it. these are the ones that stunt…
Look for an Auto that veg’s for 3-4wks before sexing, this is where your size comes in.
Beast Mode F2 by Carty… grown by my breeder Jan in New Mexico where she is 100% legal… Beastie is in the corner and since this photo she has had to bend her a few more times to keep from growing into the light… she showe sex in 4wks…

Off to the right is my WW Auto and everything has been hit with Beast Mode pollen

15 Likes

That’s an auto??? That looks like a ficus tree my mom grew for 20ish years, damn!

5 Likes

well for this run it’s too late hehe but the next time I pop autos I will follow your advice.
Unfortunately I was a couple days late in reading this thread and my seeds were already in the tall solo cups. I have lots of other plants and clones to fill spots in case of disaster :rofl:

5 Likes

Thinking the few times I’ve run autos - using solo cups, must have worked out from up potting early.

3 Likes

I think this is a key element. Its nice to get a really fast plant, but I think the auto strains need to split a bit into little 7-8 week speed demons and plants that run closer to 10 weeks but get enormous if given the chance.

I’ve been hunting unusually large ones to breed, but I think @Carty has identified the other piece of the genetic equation with flowering initiation time.

It’s taking my brain right to those folks suggesting that really breeding a plant needs to be done with 100 or more at a time. Looks like I can squeeze that many in under my lights if I go with 1g pots, and then if I cull like crazy I could even get the girls back within our plant limit before flower. Guess I’d better start practicing my auto up potting technique. :wink:

…I want a facility and license to play with thousands of seedlings so bad. My mum buys lottery tickets, and I told her if we win I want a grow facility with a state research grow license. :wink::rofl:

10 Likes

We need to talk :wink::grin:

5 Likes

RT would be a great person for this, we’ve spoke many times in depth and he has set goals and will not be distracted. But he also gives back and I find that an important part of someone’s character.
Another thing people tend to forget, and a trick I do at times… after I’ve sexed a plant or up potted a fem, after 2wks I flip the lights to 12/12 for 2wks. Why right?? because, lying dormant in every Auto is the photo period. Some respond to this 12/12 still and stretch, like the photo period would. I’ve doubled plants sizes using this technique. Strains that are non hybrids respond better then a mix…
And wow is Jan making me look good.

11 Likes

I know right? and think about this. She’s been hit with her Daddy’s pollen on 3 branches twice. so we should have seeds to continue her genetics thru isolation.
but so far this large pheno has shown up a few times and even the small pheno is 4ft.

10 Likes

Beast mode is right. Geeez.:+1::v:

5 Likes

Sorry I’ve been away, wife and I both have Covid… I’ll try to log on tonight ok…

9 Likes

Get well soon Buddy.

3 Likes

Damn that really sucks.
Hopefully you feel better soon and wish you and the wifey a speedy recovery my friend :pray::pray:

5 Likes

Geez, I thought covid was not happening anymore…take care :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That sucks!! Hope you can rest up and get well soon :green_heart:

4 Likes

bummer dude! :unamused:

i hope you both feel better real soon!

4 Likes

Ah, that sucks! I hope you both come through it quickly

5 Likes

People are killing it with your genetics! Hope you and yours get better quickly.

7 Likes

Ladybug cannot smell anything, even Vicks Vaporub… pissing her off…
She’s on day 6 I’m on day 3.
Feeling better, just weak now…
Be around for sure.

She’s leaning hard…lol
One Eyed Snake Bait by Sniper seeds

15 Likes

Bromar by Lovedeautos

12 Likes