Introduce Yourself @OG (Part 2)

Welcome to OG @Sdd420 and @Skyf , glad you could join us. Make yourself at home.

3 Likes

Welcome to OG @Sdd420 and @Skyf!

2 Likes

Hey all,

Long time indoor grower and doing my first outdoor grow this year with some Jelly Pie from Greenpoint seeds. Any tips and tricks for growing in a low altitude, hot ,and dry climate with over 100 days of 100 degree weather are greatly appreciated. Also looking for recs for any strains that hold up well outdoors in this type of climate. Thanks for all the great content and contributors in this community. You guys have some truly inspiring cultivars on here!

17 Likes

Nice to meet ya Boomer. Might want to create a topic in the ‘outdoor growing’ section as its something several folks might need as the northern hemisphere heats up.

3 Likes

Hi @boomer, welcome to OG, you’ll love it here, guaranteed, have fun.

1 Like

Welcome to the OG @boomer

I am positive you will find OG a wealth of information for your purposes.
I have put a link to some OGers growing in a similar environment. There are a ton of others to check out in the OGverse. This one just came to mind.

If I am not mistaken Greenpoint’s Jelly Pie are Regulars. Please don’ forget me when and if you pollinate a plant or two or just some lowers. hint hint… :grinning:

Here’s to Growing this miracle plant in some crazy hot and and dry climate.

7 Likes

Welcome to OG @boomer , glad you could join us.

1 Like

Sounds exactly like my climate here in az

500ft above sea level :white_check_mark:
115-120 degree daily summers✅
5-10% humidity :white_check_mark:

I’ve found majority of strains handle the heat and brutal conditions as long as u are able to keep your roots cool those hot days. Some amendments such as kelp and aloe also help to give your plants some extra heat and drought resistance so def something to consider working into your soil recipes :wink: always happy to share my wealth of knowledge dialing in this harsh environment of u get stuck or need a guiding hand

Oh and welcome to OG!

8 Likes

Welcome to OG @Skyf , @boomer
You’ll love it here…

1 Like

Welcome to OG @boomer Great name, hope the outdoor crop is everything you hoped for!

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks Bizarro. Greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

Awesome, it’s funny you brought that one up cause I’m in AZ and this was the first thread I came across. Seems like there’s quite the variety of strains people are running outdoors in my region so I’m glad I came across this community. Thanks again and I’ll be sure to reach out when I need some testers :smiley:

2 Likes

Ahaha well sounds like you’re around the Phx area like myself cause that seems spot on my summers.

Currently I just have a thick layer of pine needles on top of the soil to try and keep the roots cool, but wanted to see what other people do. Thinking about getting a 30% shade when the temps start spiking up in May…

Nice! Greatly appreciate the tips on the kelp meal and aloe. I made my own soil loosely based off the coots recipe but I might need to add alittle more kelp meal.
In regards to the Aloe, do you mean planting an Aloe Vera right next to the cultivar? Or is it some sort of aloe extract that you just add as an amendment to the soil?

Thanks again for the help!

2 Likes

Naw, I’m not a crazy as you big town folks, I’m 5 min from the Colorado river in Mohave county :wink: were on the border of Cali and NV over here with the river and some lakes pretty much the divider for the states, y’all are nuts living in this heat not that close to anything over there hahaha

I got just the thing for u bud!
https://rainsciencegrowbags.com/shop/ols/products/eclipse-solar-shield-soil-protectors

Take aloe leaves, throw in a blender, add water. Dump smoothy as base of a compost tea or dilute into 10 gallons of water and splash some on you plants soil, 10 gallons should do 10-40 plants depending on size pretty easily and is great for all garden stuff not just pot :wink:

3 Likes

Hey @boomer ! Welcome, from a fellow valley resident. I work in PHX, and live more east valley.
No outdoor plants for me, though I do believe building a shade structure with 70% shade cloth positioned to limit the mid to late afternoon sun would be as effective for cannabis as it is for tomatoes.
Looking forward to seeing you on the boards!

2 Likes

Ahahah crazy we are indeed, at some point I’d like to move up to Northern Arizona as it’s incredibly beautiful up there with plenty of places to hike/kayak/ and explore.

fortunately/unfortunately I grew up here so my body is certainly acclimated to the harsh summers. The wife on the other hand is more of a vampire in the summer :grinning:

Thanks for the tip on the Aloe, I got some growing in the front yard and some in bed composting containers with red wrigglers going in my current raised bed so sounds like I got some Tea brewing in the very near future!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s definitely what I was thinking. The raised beds that I’m using are up against one of my walls so that it provides shade for the late afternoon, but in July and August I gotta do something for that mid day beat down as well.

I’ll be sure to get a grow log going or post some pictures as the summer goes on. Only got two seedlings about a month old going right now but you all have inspired me to pull the trigger on some more and let the experimenting begin!

2 Likes

Happy to help a fellow Arizonian out in that mission, did a couple seed runs and have jack herer and white rhino seeds in abundance, shoot me your addy and I’ll mail some over to ya when I get my hose washers in :wink: I can share my tea recipes with ya as well if ya like :wink:

4 Likes

what’s up boomer! glad to have you at overgrow. you sound like a redditor that i mentioned overgrow to a few days ago. if so, i’m happy to see you could make it! and even if you’re not, i’m still happy you could make it.

it looks like you’ve already got hooked up with @AzSeaindooin420. he’s an awesome guy, super active on og, and has got a nice network of other desert grower buddies, so i’m sure there’ll be lots to learn and share.

4 Likes

Hello OG,

I’ve been gardening for a while and around other forums. A friend suggested I join here.

I’m currently getting ready for outdoor.

Here’s my 2021 garden

Happy to be here.

Peace :v:

28 Likes