Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Planted 3 flats of seeds. Mostly flowers. A few herbs and a couple veggies. The greenhouse has been christened! My boyfriend, because he is super cute and loves me to death. Spiffed out my she shed aka greenhouse today as a surprise and put cute battery operated lights in there. I adore that man. He just “gets” me.

9 Likes

My local hydro store price matches, always gives me freebies and 10% off. :blush:

3 Likes

Lucky :sweat_smile:(20 character minimum)

:sunglasses: :v: :herb:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

@cannabissequoia it sure looks like it was raining in those pics, but it was just the condensation in my she shed. I love me some classic soul though!

4 Likes

Just checked the she shed. Those seeds are gonna sprout like gang busters. It’s nice and warm in there! Yay! The cheapy greenhouse works!

5 Likes

she shed seeds shed by the she-shore :shell: :beach_umbrella: :smile:

:christmas_tree:

5 Likes

I’m not sure how the plants are gonna hold up in the cheapy greenhouse with these winds we are having. It’s completely shored down, but it’s cheap pvc so the wind slightly rocks it. Got home today in what looks like minutes before the seed trays were about to fall off the shelf onto the ground. I don’t care too much about the flower and veggie seeds but I would hate to lose my MJ when I start it on friday. I moved the trays down to the middle shelf, hoping the leverage is better there as it’s closer to the ground, but I’m gonna be a paranoid mofo all night running out to check it. Ugh! Good thing Glen put those cool lights up so I can see when I go out at night as I pulled all the bulbs out of my security lights in the summer when my plants were budding cuz the neighbors kept setting them off and I wanted my plants to get total darkness.

3 Likes

Oh @Meesh I found another golden find, asked for this book as a Christmas gift. I’m already into over 100 pages of this book one like this should be in every organic growers repertoire! Teaches one how to make everything for pennies on the dollar compared to store bought material, there’s probably PDF versions download here but good to have at finger tips ! I’d rate this one right up there with the "teaming " series from lowenfels

6 Likes

@Meesh maybe you could get some stakes or tent pegs & lash 'er down?

:wind_blowing_face: :cloud_tornado: :circus_tent: :herb:

:joy:

:evergreen_tree: it’s happened to me plenty

what did i just watch

2 Likes

It is leveled, staked and completely shored down. The problem is it’s light pvc so the wind vibrates it just enough to slowly but surely move the seed trays millimeter by millimeter. So far, I haven’t lost any, but this damn evening wind persists. It seemed to help with the trays on the middle shelves instead of the top. The grass underneath has grown like 12 inches in a week. Nice and warm in there! lol

4 Likes

Been pulling up the mallow. The cover crop is mostly overperforming it now and it’s desperately tried to pop up in the grass. I see little sprout tendrils of the sweet peas coming up today. Still anxiously awaiting Amazon for my Mammoth P. It is supposed to show today. Few pics of the veggie patch with cover crop

Fungi is as big as my hand

4 Likes

Good sign of soil building going on there! Can’t wait to see what your going have a year or less from now!

4 Likes

Mammoth P showed via Amazon. It’s been expired since April. I should have listened to @MisticHaze about ordering it online. I was trying to get a jump start after the hydro store was out, but even with Amazon prime, xmas caused it to take a week. My hydro store has it back in stock and is holding one for me. I’ll grab it tomorrow so I can get my autos started. Should have just waited as it ended up taking the same amount of time anyway. I’m hoping Amazon has me just throw the expired one away instead of dealing with packing it back up.

EDIT - I was reading the manufacturer date not the expiration date. Mammoth P is fine.

5 Likes

@Tinytuttle when you sprout your flower and veggie seeds do you just put one or 2 seeds in the pot or do you throw a whole bunch in there? I usually just throw a whole bunch of them in, but this time I did 2 seeds per pot. I shouldn’t need more than that correct?

Except the strawberry seeds they were just so damn tiny, I couldn’t exactly count them. lol

2 Likes

My very first greenhouse seed has popped. It’s a candy striped Cosmo

Look I made a plant! LOL I’m so excited

4 Likes

I put 2-3 seeds in each one but 2 would be good then when they have the second set of leaves I pick the healthiest most stout seedling and snip or pinch the other two at soil level I do this to prevent root damage to the remaining one, as far as the extremely small ones like black pepper size I like using the dial seeder by just lightly tapping as I go

You can get these cheaply the fluted trough makes for easy distribution of seed

2 Likes

Awesome! I actually used one, but the itty bitty ones were still hard.

1 Like

I’v also used a number #2 pencil with eraser slightly moisten and dabbed into seeds spread out on white paper and lightly scrape them off onto the media of choice works pretty darn well also!

1 Like