Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Chamomile sprouting! Dug out another spot in veggie patch. Almanac says plant my green onions. Gonna seed the patch today. More sweet pea tendrils coming up as well.
And yesterday in the garden…

5 Likes

As you all probably know from reading any of my threads that my gramps was an organic gardener. Grew up on a farm in Tennessee and had a vegetable garden all of his life until Alzheimers. Anyway, I was clearing a patch for the green onions yesterday and my Dad was over digging the soon to be cannabis beds. We were admiring all the bees and butterflies and Dad says “I remember when they first sprayed Malathion all over Cali, Gramps had a shit fit cause they killed all the native blue El Segundo Butterflies”. Wow! Humans! We are so stupid and selfish.

5 Likes

Sweet peas are going strong

Tons of bulbs popping all over the yard, but this one actually has a flower forming already

3 Likes

You could add some blood meal to your soil.

1 Like

OMG you guys! When you guys tell me to plant a cover crop you need to tell me important stuff like mow it down before it goes to seed. I’m probably gonna have a million seeds now! I never grew one in before. Aye Aye Aye! I’ll go kick it all over tomorrow. I just figured the stuff would grow then die off by itself. So when I kick it over tomorrow, should I leave it in there to decay or gather it all up and put in the compost.

3 Likes

You can try to salvage the seeds if you want or just dig & bury it all in. get them deep if you dont want them popping up.

:evergreen_tree: giggity :laughing:

3 Likes

I’ll see if I can cut off some of the seeded alfalfa tops and put those in the trash so I don’t get as many cover crop weeds once I knock it over.

1 Like

I wasn’t planning on actually tilling it in until next month. I was just gonna mow it down tomorrow. Guess I can just leave it on top for the worms for now?

3 Likes

Just think of it this way you are all ready for your next planting your set and ready to go!

3 Likes

Grade A worm chow!!!

3 Likes

Here’s hoping my veggies and flowers this coming season outperform the cover crop seeds. I’m already germing some in the greenhouse for early planting. Well, the ones that can be sown indoors anyway.

1 Like

On another note, the permanent mj beds have been completely dug out now. I’ve been sick and it’s been raining, but I’ll be sending in a dirt sample so I know how to amend it. I’ll fix half of the dirt and throw it back in and half I will buy new from build a soil. My first outdoor cannabis grows won’t start until end of May beginning of June, but the beds should be ready in time.

3 Likes

1st of all, cover crops tend to behave different in the different environments so the go to advice is to cut down at ~3" to 1.5" as ~5-6" starts to produce seed. On another note, when testing soil for MJ ALWAYS choose the ones for hops (veg) and tomato’s (flower) …3 sisters gardening is the explanation when probed further :wink:

2 Likes

:nerd:

i’m pretty sure that the term “cover” in “cover crop” derives from the use of a non-harvested crop, a temporary place-mat when a piece of pland is not being farmed either between seasons or fallow years. traditionally it would be grown specifically to be “dug in”(plowed) as an amendment.

if it’s intentionally a groundcover while growing other stuff, then it’s more of a “companion” or neighbor.

not quite semantics, but defintitely dorkmode. :smile:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Canterbury bells, a few types of pansy and Lemon Balm sprouts coming in in the greenhouse. Started a new flat of seeds today. English Lavender, Lacy Frills Lavender (white flowers), tiger eye violas, psychedelic violas, snapdragons and stock in the greenhouse. I was gonna start a few more today, but I ran out of seed markers and I won’t remember if I don’t mark the pots. It is so exciting with every sprout that pops up. I have tons of room out in the planters to fill with lots and lots of beautiful flowers and herbs.

Still no signs of life yet on my green onions in the veggie patch, sweet peas getting taller by the day.

2 Likes

My gardener took down the cover crop for me in the veggie patch! The soil is nice and rich looking. Lots of worm food for now. I’ll till it all under next month and prepare for spring planting. Few more sprouts popping in the greenhouse today, strawberries, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers.

5 Likes

@Tinytuttle there are what look like tiny red spiders all over my compost tumbler. Is this a problem or will they just help break it down?

1 Like

Any chance you can get a pic or possibly upload a video? Are they producing any webby strands anywhere or are they just ferociously moving in and about your compost? If they are very small and move quickly for their size you probably have predatory mites.
There are all red mites as well that can be predatory as well.

2 Likes

No webs. Maybe on friday I can film them. It’s been raining for a week straight. They are just tiny red spiders ferociously moving around through the tiny gaps in the compost tumbler. I’m sure they are inside too. I don’t open it too often. I turn it every other day though.

2 Likes

I think ya have some good guys there ! I have a gut feeling!

2 Likes