Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Today a few more flowers coming up in the greenhouse. Stock, Chinese lanterns, painted daisies and Echinacea

1 Like

@Tinytuttle Here is a highly magnified pic of those tiny red spiders on the compost. Any ideas?

2 Likes

Hard to tell pretty blurry
From what I can tell from the area of coloration though on its dorsal side it looks like a hypo!

2 Likes

I know they are running fast and camera phone lol

1 Like

Not as much magnification

Iā€™m prettt sure you have a beneficial there ! Organic decomposer there I believe they can put the smack down on fungus nat eggs and larvae as well!

3 Likes

Whatā€™s a hypo? ?..

1 Like

Hypoaspis miles beneficial mite!

2 Likes

Wonderful! They do seem to be working hard! Thank you Sir!

2 Likes

Looks like exactly the ones I have running around in my worm bins as well as a good amount of springtails as well!

2 Likes

More seeds popping today! Tigers Eye Violas and Lacy Frills white lavender. Greenhouse in so effing hot! Rolled up the door for airflow until later in the evening. Itā€™s like Florida in there

3 Likes

When I get there you have to give me a ride in the wagon, 'mkay? :upside_down:

:evergreen_tree: :checkered_flag: :doughnut:

2 Likes

So since I amended all of the soil in the flower beds in the fall, do you think I will need to broadcast some fertilizer out there in spring as well? Or should all the new organic soil, manure and bone meal be plenty until maybe summer?

2 Likes

Iā€™d think youā€™d be good to go with what ya have!

3 Likes

Except for the new damn gardenia bush! It is still not happy. Iā€™ve been slowly lowering soil ph, my research tells me to wait until dormancy breaks to give her an iron supplement and some epsoms. Hoping sheā€™ll make it until true spring.

2 Likes

:nerd: :clipboard: :mag:

Maybe try a bit of both for scienceā€™ sake?

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

What I really want to do is pull up all of my tuberose that have been growing in pots and divide them and put them in new soil. I want to pull up some randy clover thatā€™s getting too big for itā€™s britches and is shading the gazillion bulbs that are coming up. Got my first bulb flower, a bitchen type of narcissus that smells like heaven. All of those particular types have flower stalks coming up. The older freesias in the front flower bed have flower spikes now. Got leaves on the new ones planted in the new cutting garden hoping they get flowers soon too. I however can barely run outside water and fertilize the greenhouse plants and turn the compost cuz Iā€™m so damn busy during the day right now. Iā€™m tired of work. At least I have a spa day planned with my sweetie on Monday for my b-day. I need it.

3 Likes

Hit a point this evening where I need more info from clients to continue. I could have started on another one, but said screw it. Itā€™s Friday and Iā€™m tired. Decided to make myself happy instead and pulled out some of the pots from the greenhouse that just didnā€™t sprout. I waited many weeks after the other seeds of their type have sprouted and are flourishing. One set of 3 that I left in there with no sprouts are Colombine, after rereading the package their germ time can be up to a month. Iā€™ll give them another week or two before I give up. I planted a new flat of seeds 2 more types of Cosmos, some petunias and vincas for container grows. crasapedia and one more flower that I canā€™t recall at the moment. I also started an entire flat of creeping thyme for ground cover. Those were the smallest seeds Iā€™ve ever seen (not seen). They were freaken microscopic. I honestly donā€™t know if they made it into all 18 starter pots or just a few here and there. It is impossible to know. Kinda bummed that the instructions said to start them indoors, I would have much rather mixed them in some sand and direct sowed those little bastards. Spent about 15 minutes pulling up some of the randy clover in my cutting garden and some weeds in there. Still more to do, but I needed my weeding tool to do any more and I didnā€™t feel like getting that crazy. Luckily the clover grows in big shallow clumps that just pull right out.

3 Likes

Hey there @Meesh donā€™t give up in your seeds ā€¦ some seeds need to go through a process called stratification first before they germinate itā€™s a cold-warm phase of temperatures before they even think of germinating . Oddly enough there thereā€™s also pine cone species that need to go through a forest fire before they germinate also ! Go figure!

3 Likes

Donā€™t Sequoias have to burn to reproduce? I think I remember something like that when I visited last June.

I figured if 3 and 4 in a set were so well established that anything coming up late wonā€™t be worth planting anyway. lol Hell, the strawberry seeds all germed 2 weeks ago and they are notorious laggers. Eh, I have more seeds. It did finally hit 70 degrees out 2 days in a row. If it keeps it up for a week everything is gonna sprout like gangbusters in that greenhouse. That soil will be nice and warm.

I love it so much. :seedling:

2 Likes