Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Is there a way to dehydrate the seaweed on a home scale? Or could you make a goo or liquid with it to save? Just curious. It is wonderful stuff. I know it’s a weird plant too. Kind of melts in the sun, doesn’t it? I suppose it could be laid out on mats or tarps to dry it.

It’s be cool to have local access to it. It’s everywhere up and down the west coast. I don’t believer the east coast has anything like the kelp or not that I remember. At least not in shore.

Kelp is the shiznit. peace

3 Likes

absolutely! Like any other green’s…blanch -> dehydrate -> grind

Fermenting then freeze in portions or add a stabilizer like veg glycerin :wink:

Yes, it is!

2 Likes

Thank you MOTR! I lived on the Puget Sound in Washington long ago. Then on the Hood Canal. Lots of seaweed. I’d love to go back there someday. Maybe I could go bring a load of seaweed back, lol.

2 Likes

No problem!

Me too! When I 1st landed there, I was on Pearl street ~6 blocks from Pt Defiance then migrated to Enumclaw for a couple yrs and found myself in Steilacoom just before coming back home to Ak though I will never forget Enumclaw…absolutely loved the whole area! Seward reminds me alot of that area

2 Likes

The guy on the above video said get 20 gallons of kelp in a trash can with water and leave for 3 months. After that use the liquid on anything and everything with no overdose from kelp. Or even put the kelp directly on the soil like mulch.

3 Likes

The star flowers seedlings in the greenhouse are Cosmos, I noticed these performers have purple darkening stems, anyone know about flower deficiencies? Those and the chamomile are 3 times the size of anything in there. Maybe they want more than fish fert or a stronger bloom only fish fert?

1 Like

Purple stems and underside of leaves as well? Purple color in these areas are do to lack of phosphorus it’s pretty common in early stages of growth mix in some worm casting or a tea and you’ll usually see it correct itself in 3-4 days starting with the leaves and working back to the stem then towards the roots .

2 Likes

Do you have bonemeal @meesh? Try making calphos? Calcium/phosphorus solution like in my thread with eggs shells 1 part bonemeal 10 parts vinegar by weight let it set for a day or two , strain it, dilute it water in .

2 Likes

That gives me an idea with my tomatos seem to get a touch of the purple when I grow them out from seedlings maybe I’ll do some comparisons this year if I see it! Ya you often see it in nursery stock as well most plants one buys are usually overgrown for the containers there in if my thinking is right phosphorus is needed for root growth and development .

4 Likes

Last night I did a lot of reading on commercial greenhouse flower production it also said that happens frequently in a soiless mix. @Tinytuttle you are correct sir! It also said purple in tomato was calcium deficiency, you are one knowledgeable cookie!

3 Likes

So, been a lot going on over here this winter… the official cannabis beds have been completely dug out…

We are fixing a broken rain gutter that was flooding the bed. Diverting the water away from the garage again. My house is 70 years old. So the wind had just tore that sucker off at one point.

Sent the soil sample in yesterday to AG labs on suggestion from @MomOnTheRun finally. I’m gonna amend half of this dirt and put it back in the beds and half will be brand new high quality soil.

Last but not least the state of the compost I started last month in my new toy

6 Likes

2 types of Zinnia sprouts popping from my newest greenhouse flat! :blossom:

4 Likes

Bought a bucket with a lid today. Filling it with weeds. Gonna show them who’s boss. Chop em up, soak them for a few days in water and feed them to the real plants.

4 Likes

Storming again until Tuesday. Ran outside in between and in the greenhouse the 2nd sets of cosmos I planted are already sprouting like gang busters. The last ones did too. The 1st 4 plants that came up were in shades of pink and the new ones are shades of blue and white and a mix of yellows are coming up now. They have been the stars of the greenhouse this year, but the new zinnia sprouts love it in there and are growing huge very quickly. New sprouts today of crasapedia, a cool small yellow globe flower (excited about these) as well. No sign of life yet in the entire flat of creeping thyme…

Around the garden, some new bulbs popping, can’t remember what they are (fun mystery), one of the new bare root Papavers aka Oriental Poppy that I planted early this week is rooted in quickly and responding with leaves already. Also 2 of my Lily Trees (supposed to get up to 6 feet tall) are sprouting and what I believe are 2 dahlias are coming up. Little thin green onions are in the veggie patch, so thin they look like grass and sweet peas are starting to form the little curly tendrils that will grab onto the trellis… slowly but surely it’s coming alive out there. Except the new Gardenia bush, despite the epsoms and iron I gave it, still hates me.

4 Likes

Had two pots full of Tuberose. Dug them up, divided them, condensed down to one container with new potting mix and planted the rest in the cutting garden. Also, replanted the new blueberry in one of the old tuberose pots which is almost as big, but is wider and more shallow as the blueberry was waterlogged and they also have shallow roots so I think it will be happier. I used the same soil it was in as it has been amended for lower ph. Put the tiny bit of remaining amended soil on top of the gardenia soil (hoping it will help it). The blueberry should be able to dry properly now with adequate drainage. I feel quite accomplished. Now back to work…

2 Likes

:smile: I had to look this up before accusing you of a typo or making “tube-snake” jokes!

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

You should have hit me up for some of these tubers! They smell like heaven. I can divide them next spring again if you are interested. They are pretty pricey if you order them. :grinning:

3 Likes

Talked to my man today about renting the tiller again on sunday to do the veggie patch. I still need it to sit for 2 weeks after before I plant so I can eradicate any weeds that try to pop up. My peppers and cherry tomatoes are pretty established out in the greenhouse. They are almost ready and I’m excited for spring! I got some dahlias, oriental poppies, daffodils popping now for early spring (well they think it’s spring) and some lilies coming up already.

5 Likes

My man and I kicked ass out in the garden today. Tilled under the cover crop in the veggie patch, threw down some Dr. Earths organic fertilizer, should get my flowers and veggies through until summer. We also tilled a patch of grass that has been uneven since the dog dug all the holes and leveled that out along with 2 shade planters that line the back fence. The soil in that shady area is so dark and rich, maybe because it stays moist most of the time. Don’t feel the need to add any new topsoil to those, but I did throw in a few handfuls of organic fertilizer since I was fert happy today. I have a few shade plants on order that should ship next week so I need them ready for planting. I will be adding more plants back there as I find the ones I want. You know me by now, they have to be flowering types. lol

4 Likes

I forgot to mention the bonus aphrodisiac element of watching my man working hard in my garden! Hard working men in the dirt just does it for me! It was a good day! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes