Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Deodorant is for the uninformed. :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Have you guys noticed that weeds and grass hide underneath the clover? Do you think itā€™s because the clover is pulling up calcium (something I read) so weeds pop up to steal it? lol

1 Like

Go! Meesh Go! Now that is a lot of work though will be worth it in the long run with lots of beautiful flowers :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

So, Iā€™m hardening off my tomatoes, chamomile and cosmos from greenhouse life. Iā€™ve never done this before. Put them outside in a shady area and Iā€™ve set a timer for 3 hours. Seems like a good start. Iā€™ll increase in hour or two increments until next week.

Planted 3 sets of coleus seeds in greenhouse for some colorful foliage in some potted plants

3 Likes

:thinking: hmmā€¦

I wish I could answer that. Some of my weeds ARE clover! :smile: i.e. BUR clover-- itā€™s ā€œlike totally lameā€.

my dream is to have sweet clover & red clover covering my back lotā€¦ sigh

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

So @Calyxander and I were having a discussion about cosmos and came to the conclusion that they will probably do better in so-so soil experiment with them if ya want ā€¦ mine grew to about 6-7 But didnā€™t put on much of a display in the the rich potting soil mix i planted them in last year

3 Likes

I know Nasturtiums hate good soil! lol Some flowers hate nitrogen rich soil, I know that. When the Nitrogen is too rich for some, their foliage is gorgeous, but very little blooms. I think Iā€™m gonna give them the Alaska fish fert for blooms and see how they like itā€¦ 0-10-10
My cosmos are the biggest in the greenhouse
Todayā€™s pic

3 Likes

Those cosmos are looking good!

2 Likes

My weeds are mostly clover too! lol Except the yellow kind not ā€œthe like totally lameā€ kindā€¦You making fun of my surfer accent ā€œDudeā€? :smirk::sunglasses: I let the clover grow for a bit though for the bees, once it starts to get too crazy, I pull it out of the flower beds, but it dies off by itself in the grass when the heat comes.

2 Likes

Thank you! So far I really like them cuz they grow fast. lol Hoping for some major blooms. Maybe Iā€™ll just throw some bone meal in the hole when I transplant them in the garden then LITFAā€¦ See if they bloom well with some extra phosphorous. I know my bulbs love it.

4 Likes

Cosmos grow wild out here in generally fieldy grassy areas or what we call veld. Iā€™ve never stopped to check what the ground is like itā€™s growing in, in other areas but from around my area itā€™s a very hard red soil so high clay content but then again also stoney. Maybe something to that. chamomile Iā€™ve read needs a more sandy soil? Have a pack of chamomile at home I need to do something with hehe

3 Likes

Hi Meesh,
I havenā€™t read your whole thread but where in the world can you grow out in the open like that?
Also have you considered tilling that plot and raking the soil into beds or wide rows?
I gave up on single row gardening some years back and I have to say beds/wide rows are da shizzle.
No more waterlogging and much looser, aerated soil. Less area to weed too.
I have frames holding the soil in but they are not necessary.

3 Likes

@Sunvalley Iā€™m guessing the cosmos arenā€™t too finicky. I like that and I think chamomile will pretty much grow in anythingā€¦ mine is the 2nd largest in the greenhouse and itā€™s in a soilless mix right now. Someone said it was also a good companion plant besides making tasty tea.

@spaceman itā€™s not really in the open itā€™s fenced in. lol Iā€™m in Southern California. We have recreational marijuana here. So I can grow 6 legal plants. Yes, I will be marking out the 400 square feet in the veggie patch, probably into like a T or a + shape in about 2 weeks before planting. I just got my spring tilling done on Monday. Iā€™m waiting 2 weeks so I can kill any weeds that the tiller may have unearthed.

6 Likes

Nice.
I have a bed shaped like a square ā€œUā€ with the opening facing South. Beds are 4ft wide each arm is 24ft on the outside and the base of the U is 16ft, again on the outside.
Planted asparagus, Jersey Giant and Martha Washington varieties in the base section 2 yrs ago, expecting a first taste this year.
Last year potatoes along the sides, decision time coming up again this year but will include some grains.
All the best.:four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Originally I had used graph paper and mapped it out in single rows, then I saw something in a + shape and thought it would be a lot easier with large groupings like you haveā€¦ My veggie plot is 19ā€™ x 19 ft. I already planted sweet peas and green onions last month in about 8 x 4 ft in the south side of the patch before I decided how I was gonna mark it out cuz the Farmers Almanac told me to plant those, but I think I can still get the shape I want. Especially since all of the organic gurus Iā€™ve been watching on youtube say to mix the plants up to confuse bugs. Iā€™m mostly growing flowers, cuz Iā€™m a flower freak, but I have the green onions direct sowed now, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers in the greenhouse and Iā€™m gonna direct sow some cantaloupe. This is my first time growing veggies, so Iā€™m starting small. Also, gonna mix herbs in between. Oregano, basil, chives etcā€¦ So much fun!

3 Likes

It started raining again today until Saturday so I was nervous to continue the hardening off process. Iā€™ll start again on Saturday. Itā€™s too early to expose them to rain, a bit of sun and breeze for a bit first until I leave them to the mercy of Mother Nature.

2 Likes

Mixing plants up has other benis as wellā€¦

She ended up staying the summer and left two egg cases that I found, maybe some others :gift:.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve bought some egg sacks before and actually saw one of them in my yard. Didnā€™t stick around though. Iā€™ve seen a few ladybugs so far this year. I always buy some whenever they are available locally. Gonna have to buy another mantis sack this year again once the veggies start coming up!

3 Likes

One of the greenhouse Cosmos is forming a flower already!

6 Likes

Well, AG labs finally cashed my check for the soil testā€¦ eagerly awaiting the results
Oh yeah, it wasnā€™t raining this morning so I went back to hardening off the tomatoes, chamomile and cosmos. They were outside for about 5 hours today. I have a few whole flats with big enough sprouts to start those hardening off also. Still no sign of germ for petunias, english lavender or columbines. I have a few empties that never germed in 2 of my violas, echinacea and lemon balm. Iā€™ll probably restart a few again of these. Mostly, Iā€™m thinking that itā€™s so close to planting time that I may direct sow them into the garden with the rest and hope for the best. Iā€™ll have to check the packs again and see if they can be started that way.

3 Likes