Backyard soil rejuvenation project

It sounds about right. Keep in mind a little goes a long way…a light spray like a misting rain is all that is needed as its very powerful stuff. If you go with a hose type, set it on a soft shower then just move it over them from left to right once though this is where I love my chapin sprayer set to a fine mist and basically do the same thing just more controlled than using a hose ime

1 Like

My hose one has a pretty sweet setting for mist though… Thanks! That just sounded weird after doing a soil drench of an ounce per gallon with 15 gallons of water. Must be some pretty strong shit. lol

2 Likes

The Enthuse foliar just happened. I’m curious to see how everything responds to it. They seemed happy from the cal-mag drench. I layed down more straw in between the sunflowers now that most of them are up. I think the italians have a few more so I’ll wait a day or two at least until they are bigger. Didn’t bother spraying the spent bulb leaves, figured what’s the point, they are just in dying off storage mode anyway. The gourds and cantaloupes are both up now! The only row of seeds I’m worried about are the love lies bleeding aka amaranth. Those are those damn pelleted seeds that I couldn’t seem to germ in the greenhouse. Maybe they will work better directly in the ground. Oh well, if they don’t come up, I’ll have more room for mystery sex cannabis plants.

3 Likes

Almost forgot… need this in my notes… The wisteria was not sprayed as it has hated everything in the past. I did spray the gardenia bush that is practically dead because fuck it, the plant already hates me, so it’s my last attempt. Every leaf on that sucker is dried up and brown, the damn thing is still alive though, I saw green when I scratched the stem. I really won’t feel bad if it dies as even master gardeners find this one bitch of a plant to grow. It hasn’t done anything but slowly die so far, zero new growth.

4 Likes

I feel ya. lol. I go through this quite often during the summer…

Peace
DaFozz

4 Likes

Same here…I have a black currant bush that I feel that way about. Chopped it in half a couple summers ago and the bitch tripled in size :cry: Before it gets too much warmer I have to clean up the debris from overwintering then going to remove 3/4 so my neighbors can’t blame me when another panel of their fence falls again

@Meesh you can freely give some of your energy to me…looking around, I am going to need it to tackle this sand pit I call a yard :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That’s what offspring are for…slave labor :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

True though we mostly feed into each others procrastination unless I am gung-ho though by the time I am wiped or the heat is getting to me (I know, its not like ya’lls :stuck_out_tongue: ) they are just getting started and feel bad for sitting there or get frustrated as they act like they don’t know what a rake is though will gladly dig a 8’ deep hole in the sand pit for kicks then complain when I ask for a 2’ hole to move an ornamental tree.

I can’t put all the blame on them though as its taken us 2 summers now to take down a 4x8 pen from when my parents had Labs 8 yrs ago - its mostly down well kinda BUT that will happen this year as well as, putting some sort of roof on the camper and redoing the chickenless chicken coop so they don’t freeze to death again when we do get some more… Tasks like that I am just like ya know what, lets get a slushy and go up to Hatchers Pass to play in some snow by the lake in the mountains like we don’t get enough of it through the year :joy:

((sigh)) little by little it is getting done

4 Likes

How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time.

Read something that struck home with me in regards to weeding and I apply it to everything out there now. Just work on one sq foot at a time. As for those kids… well pizza party for friends or something like that??, but they have to work in the garden first each assigned a task. lol When the whip doesn’t work, there is always bribery. :laughing:

5 Likes

So, my morning coffee stroll showed me a very strong response in my perennial transplants of painted daisies and echinacea from the Enthuse foliar. They were pretty yellow since the greenhouse and are dark green now, literally overnight. What’s in that stuff? Everything else looks pretty much the same. Found out of the recent 300 or so bulbs I planted a few weeks ago that the Anemones are coming up and a yellow lily starting. In the shade planter the lily of the valleys have mostly survived the squirrels and Jezebel trampling them. The shade planters are back by my huge avocado tree where the squirrels live and they torment the dog by jumping from trees to the back wall, so Jezzy is always trying to jump up there and get them at the sake of my shade plants. The bleeding heart back there is still alive and kicking. She hasn’t stepped on it yet. I have 4 different bleeding hearts around the yard. This is the only one growing and I love this old timey plant.In the veggie plot, all of the sunflowers are up now. Both the white vanilla hybrids and jaguar marigolds are up. Cilantro coming in. These really interesting zinnias I started from seed have started, just one spot so far. I don’t know about zinnias elsewhere, but these suckers love it here. No sign of life from the amaranth (fkn pelleted seeds), asters or gomphrena yet. The artichoke I bought last summer. It was in a pot until recently. It just lives, but hasn’t done a damn thing. It’s looking pretty ugly and putting it in the ground was my last attempt at this mofo. So we’ll see. Nasturtiums are starting. First time I ever had to take a nail file to a seed, so I’m glad I did it right. There are a few more sweet peas blooming and my green onions actually look like green onions now instead of blades of grass. All in all, pretty good!

Also, started picking flowers off of the new strawberry plants. They seem very happy.

2 Likes

I worry about this since I’ve seen my wife’s Grandma’s neighbor collect leaves and clippings for all the people in the neighborhood and stack them by the curb…thing is Grandma uses Round-up so do some neighbors. I won’t just collect clippings for that reason. Les apprehensive about leaves.

"Check horse stables but be sure to find out what they feed them or if antibiotics have been used in the any recent treatments, "

yup. chicken farms, rabbit farms…really you want aged manure though. You don’t want raw if you can help it.

“Also check out Bokashi composting pretty much anything that’s organics, meat, bones and all sorts of stuff not used in traditional composting can be fermented in a short amount of time and incorporated into the soil profile, you can make your own Bokashi bran very cheaply withEM1 and a 50 lb sack of wheat bran sometimes found at seed farm and ranch co-op’s”

You mention EM-1 specifically I likely want to break this out as a separate subject.

From a compilation of quotes attributed to “Catalmas Coot and alts” on forum.grasscity.com

----snip-----
"18. What are phototrophic bacteria?

Phototrophic bacteria are also known as photosynthetic bacteria. Phototrophic bacteria consist of two groups, the purple and the green bacteria. Unlike the process of photosynthesis that is associated with blue-green algae and plants, phototrophic bacteria do not perform plant photosynthesis, do not contain chlorophyll-a, and do not produce oxygen.

Their photosynthetic operation can instead produce hydrogen (depending on conditions) and carbon dioxide. Their growth also depends on sunlight. Several studies show phototrophic bacteria to be detoxifiers and/or consume waste matter. Phototrophic bacteria applications are being researched in various fields, including hydrogen-fuel production.

The purple bacterium that’s also known as ‘purple sulphur bacteria’ is mostly known in the waste treatment industry. Although phototrophic bacteria may represent a small minority of all bacteria, they exist in virtually every environment on earth.

The phototrophic bacteria in EM are the purple bacteria variety."
These specific bacteria strains are generally referred to as PNSB (Purple Non-Sulphur Bacteria) and are beneficial both as a foliar application as well as adding to your regular irrigation water.

You do not have to ferment anything if you want to go with straight EM-1 (or the less expensive method of brewing AEM). They recommend something like 3/4 tsp. per gallon water. I apply 4x that, i.e. 1 tablespoon for foliar and double that for adding to my water.

Use the straight SCD Bio Ag if that’s more convenient or make the AEM brew and save a ton of money.

I just bought 1 gallon of this product and the price was very fair - $25.00 but what wasn’t so fair was the S&H charges - $12.50 but I did get 4 quarts (delivered) for about $9.37 each.

Eh…

LD
-------/snip-----

@Meesh aged manure is preferred. 6 months or more.rice hulls makes a good mulch and add kelp meal or alfalfa meal to get things cooking and get some trace minerals maybe.

So now I’m looking this thread is 600+ comments long I’m sure somebody covered this stuff.

Edit:spelling/missing word

4 Likes

That’s quite alright. I welcome anything regarding organics here as I am absorbing and learning. Believe me, I have asked the same questions like 50 thousand times as there is so much info, I forget or jumble it up. That is also an excellent point about my neighbors and their clippings. I never needed to grab anyone else’s as my yard is so large, I have plenty of stuff for the compost on my own. Now, I’m glad I didn’t need to as I would want to go dump my compost bins now if I had.

4 Likes

I believe I started this project in August, at this point @Olbrannon… the worms have pretty much composted all of the matter I’ve thrown into the veggie plot. I’ve had a recent soil test and have broadcasted the resulting special blend for my garden and the whole plot has been planted. I’m at the point now where I am applying soil drenches and foliars per soil test to get more Cal-Mag and Humus into my soil while everything is starting to grow. So far this project has been successful and I have a very nice garden starting to pop up and I’m learning organics as I grow. :grinning:

5 Likes

Yea it’s always best to be inquisitive when gathering others waste products I try to source mine only from known sources

4 Likes

Awesome. I use Espoma Organic Lime for Cal-Mag when I make a soil mix. It’s good stuff if you need something bagged and ready. Lots of other good choices. Oyster shell…

Do you have a mulch layer? He is adamant about the benefits of mulch. Of course clover or a cover crop serves as a living mulch.would think a layer of small leaf litter or rice hulls would be good on a new plot. Maybe not too heavy. I mulched my plants last week and the soil stays moist and the cabinet a tad drier on the rh reading

2 Likes

So far, I have used a 35lb box of compressed barley straw as mulch and just ordered more. I have just finished digging out and amending special designated permanent cannabis beds and will be starting a clover crop in there next week to start bringing it to life.

5 Likes

/me pulls up a chair to watch

3 Likes

If you scroll up to about post 590 you will see the veggie plot in it’s almost planted state. I’ve since finished. Speaking of that. I should take some new pics.

1 Like

I went up about 5 pages and didn’t see a pic so I asked…thx for pointing.

Just snapped this real quick…

7 Likes