Backyard soil rejuvenation project

How do you plan to water? Considered a rain barrel and a rain chain ? Could collect runoff from that roof when it rains and have soft water.

2 Likes

This was the first year in 5 that we had a real winter with actual rain. California has been in a drought. Collecting rain here most of the year here is pointless as we donā€™t get muchā€¦ basically, I have a huge water bill in the summer

3 Likes

My buddy lives in the Coachella Valley.

1 Like

Super hot out there! Iā€™m close to the beach, 20 miles west of Los Angeles in what we call the South Bay.

Youā€™ll notice soon enough that I am a flower freak and most of my garden focuses on them and less in the veggie dept. lol
Not only did I redo the veggie plot soil, but also the few hundred feet of concrete planters that line the entire back yard. Most of it has been planted either in the fall or recently, so this is a very exciting time for me as I watch all of my hard work come to life.

3 Likes

I dunno how far they have come with this techā€¦saw it a while backā€¦
from MIT https://news.mit.edu/2017/MOF-device-harvests-fresh-water-from-air-0414

There was a lot of money put into this for a source of good water anywhereā€¦
same? https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-09/water-harvesting-from-desert-air/9836908

doesnā€™t seem to be not sure if anyone makes anything yet.

Edit: Sorry to edit off the cuff without references. but ā€¦as i recall Bill Gates was investing in this tech for a portable solution to potable water to people in Africa and other remote/war torn/impoverished regions?

2 Likes

It certainly shows. Hope rover there doesnā€™t dig up all your hard work. He looks the type to need a good frolic every day.
I WISH I had that sun and space to work with whew. Have you considered figs? They do well in drier climates. Some varieties are rather pricey. We have about 7 different types atm.

2 Likes

Oh, this whole project started because she dug up the backyard! She had dug graves in the veggie plot and they cancelled my homeownerā€™s insurance because of it. I started by putting one of those cheapy little garden fences around the cutting garden so she knows to stay out and since I have been working and planting in the veggie plot she has been out there with me for months and has learned that it is my space. She is a smart dog, so she seems to be staying out. I caught her digging around by the trees recently and thatā€™s fine, although of course I donā€™t want her to dig at all, but sheā€™s a dog and I love her soā€¦ sighā€¦

I already have 2 avocado trees, a macadamia nut tree, 2 apples and a kumquat so no figs. lol Figs however do grow really well here, I see them around the neighborhood. If I get any more trees, it will be a dwarf crepe myrtle in a big pot. Just because they are beautiful, but I really donā€™t need anymore trees.

3 Likes

Iā€™d vote Frangipani, Mango, Duke of Tuscany because I love jasmine. I read the first post and saw the picture. She has a fine build and looks well taken care of. Itā€™s good for them if they have a safe spot they can retreat to just like kids. We had a boxer I loved as a child. Sheba was here name. I have had dogs come from their owners yard to visit and play with me lol.

3 Likes

The marijuana beds are complete!! Whew! That took months! Super excited! Just in time. Iā€™m gonna get the clover started this week and bring that bed to life. Do you think itā€™s a coincidence that like 50 bulbs just sprouted right after the Cal-Mag soil drench? Awfully coincidental isnā€™t it? Way more stuff popped up in the flower beds today. Not even sure anymore what they are except that they are some sort of bulbs. So much fun!

6 Likes

Iā€™m kind of bummed in a weird way that the planter is complete, because Dad has been here every Sunday for months now. Heā€™s not a spring chicken anymore and any minute he wants to spend with me, Iā€™ll take, I have a few projects left, Iā€™m gonna need to figure out a new way to spend time with him.

7 Likes

:laughing: :hugging: :older_man:

I was just therapy-cizing on the phone with my oldest friend about laying off our criticism & judgement of our parents about their mistakesā€¦ completely conflicts with their example :joy: :thinking:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

As a parentā€¦ā€˜you might be grown but you are still my childā€™ lol

3 Likes

@cannabissequoia unfortunately that only applies to Dad. As little time as humanly possible with Mom is too long.

@Olbrannon Iā€™m 47, Dad still calls me kid

2 Likes

I planted a leftover chamomile from the greenhouse that is already flowering in the new mj bed threw in a few sprinkles of dutch white clover here and there and gave it some water. Letā€™s bring this sucker to life! :grin:

My sweetie and I were driving home from lunch and I saw a house with the whole front planter filled with 5 to 6 foot Cosmos in full bloom. I wanted to go back and take a pic for you guys. Just donā€™t see them around here much, looks like they act like a perennial here. :smile: It looked so pretty against their house, like a wispy hedge of flowers. I had a white one flower today, itā€™s mighty and very beautiful. So far I have a candy striped pink one, maroon, pink, now white. White is the best so farā€¦ I have ummmā€¦ like 3 or 4 more that havenā€™t flowered yet. Canā€™t wait to see what color they are. I used like 3 different types all in mixed colors, so itā€™s really a mystery. Gladiolas shining through, a lot of the brand new summer bulbs are coming up. Flowers = Happiness

4 Likes

I learned by doing that wildflowers & similar stuff are waaaay more impressive if planted in fall or late summer. You donā€™t have frost to worry about so try some like that this year. :wink: I have a relatively short spring before hellfiredeath season begins & the spring planted ones never get big enough in time. :desert: :fire:

:evergreen_tree: <-- didnā€™t do that last year :blush:

4 Likes

Yeah, my johnny jump up (hedge) that I planted in fall lost itā€™s mojo and is sort of melting down lol. Which is actually okay cuz now the pansy giants I planted in front are blooming. Iā€™m gonna let them seed a bit and theyā€™ll come back on their own again in fall, Pretty sure.

4 Likes

They must be not sure how they could be that tall already had it started from seed.

2 Likes

Yeah, mine are only like 2 to 3 feet right now. The oldest are anyway. They grew really fast in the greenhouse, same with the chamomile. Both really seem to love going into the soil too. So, they had to have planted them last year.

1 Like

Some new flower came up. Donā€™t know what it isā€¦I swear I put Dutch irises there lolā€¦Itā€™s pretty though

The white Cosmo

6 Likes

Looks somewhat of an Iris what r u thinking they might be?

4 Likes