Beginning grower trying outdoors

They’re starting off healthy :ok_hand:t5: My only suggestion is if you’re gonna grow outside use frabic pots. Other materials tend to be hot for the roots. The fabric will slow the roots to reach for air and prune themselves.

7 Likes

It’s good that you’re being methodical & striving for optimum but don’t sweat it too much-- it is a weed :wink:

Enjoy the fun :v:

:evergreen_tree:

9 Likes

You’re doing well. Don’t worry about the heat so much unless there’s going to be a big spike. Shade cloth or a shady spot with dappled light is good too. You could check out some saponins for some help with the heat. It’s going to be 108 here on Wednesday, but I know they will get through it. I mist the area in the morning and evening and with a little breeze it cools off nicely.

15 Likes

Thanks 4HundredFifty3. I planned on getting fabric pots once I find out the sex of my plants and cull the heard. I have been reading and researching about the fabric pots. Any suggestions on which are better?

7 Likes

Thank you. I am enjoying it, but I am definently sweating the little stuff. I am guessing a lot of first time growers probably do…I hope…lol.

9 Likes

Yup not alone there but be sure to check out this thread on a tried and tested technique: New and improved! LITFA by ReikoX

It’s very easy and any beginner can start on it right away!

7 Likes

What’s yr latitude? Climate? Looking good so far! You should get some mulch on those. Old leaves, straw, or bark mulch. If you use bark, a sprinkle of blood meal (or some other nitrogen source )is needed to avoid deficiency. Sprinkle under the mulch on the surface. Mulch keeps upper roots happy, and helps keep an even moisture content in the whole pot. It’s a game changer. I highly recommend that addition. I Wish I could remember the name of the grow bags I have been using. Third year, and no ripped handles. They get moved alot, too. There is a picture in the landrace expansion and trade thread from this morning showing my grow bags.

7 Likes

Also… the sun beating on clay pots will literally cook any roots on the outside. I take an old t shirt and cut it into a couple squares and cut a slit in it. Then this shirt acts as a mulch and pot cover in one. Keeps the pots cool. Fabric pots don’t need this treatment. Good call to go that route for sure.

14 Likes

Are you able to move plants to a dark place to induce flowering now? I’ve been doing so for two weeks now. It’s quite easy when they are small. By mid August you should be able to leave them out to finish flowering naturally . I bring them in and take them out every day… Edit…yes. it’s a pain in the ass sometimes.

5 Likes

I have 21 Hawaiian Haze bag seed plants. Most are doing well. I have this one with twisted leaves. It is almost 3 weeks old. It has been getting the same care as other plants in the same soil MG Performance Container Mix. Is this something I should worry about, or not really an issue? Thanks in advance for the help.

![20200620_091849|666x500] (upload://txaI5fcNS5BZr3oLhqFGLzLJWUJ.jpeg)

11 Likes

Hi @Old-Ron, welcome to Overgrow.

The odds are that the plant will be fine, it should grow out of its current appearance soon.

Don’t worry, and have fun.

Best of luck with your trial grow.

8 Likes

@Old-Ron curing leaves will be fine.

It could be a mix of over or under watering.

But i think its due to poor soil. Holding too much water.

Keep us updated will love to know how it turns out

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the help. It is great to have a knowledgeable community to help a new grower. As I learn, I will definitely pay it forward.

5 Likes

Thanks Upstate. I appreciate the good advice, especially about the clay pot. I have moved it to another container I got today. When I dropped the seeds I did not expect 21 plants to come up. I figured I would be lucky if maybe 2/3 made it. My climate is pretty humid in the summer. I have added blood meal to some of the plants. Doing a lot of experimenting this time before I try indoors. Your plants look really nice, I hope mine look as good and healthy when they get that size.

3 Likes

Thanks Solowolf for the advice. I am trying to learn all I can right now. I keep them outside all the time now. We had some heavy rains the past few days and I was more worried about the amount of water they would take on so quickly. Especially the few I have left in solo cups, I moved them under cover for the storms. Those are some nice looking plants you have. My wife says cute cat too. Is the cages around the plants to keep the cat out, or for another purpose?

3 Likes

Thanks 6u3m. I have moved it to a pot from the solo cup. I planted it in Fox Farm Ocean Forest and added some blood meal to it. I have been using the lift process to judge the water. However, it could be a water issue. I will definitely keep things updated on the plant.

4 Likes

June 20th. Replanted 6 more plants today. Made a mix of the MG Organic Performance and Fox Farm Ocean Forest, then added a small amount of Sta-Green blood meal for 5 of them. The last one I planted in our own compost mix and Fox Farm with some blood meal added. It was cooler in the morning, high 60’s, with a heavy thunderstorm in the afternoon. The sun came out later to increase the humidity as the temperature reached 80.

10 Likes

Here is a leaf from my Ripper’s Gold- Jack the Ripper (Subcool) x White Gold (Sensi/White Label)…I grew this outdoor last year…beautiful plant.I put it on the steering wheel of my truck to give an idea of size.

11 Likes

MrToast that is a beautiful leaf! I am sure that was a nice harvest. I figure I will learn all I can from the good people here, plus my own trials and errors, then share what I can. After I get this under my belt I am going to order some seeds and try indoors. Thanks for sharing the picture with me. I can only hope to get something close to that…although it may be hard to hide a plant like that…lol

4 Likes

Yup! Kitty paws are not good for seedlings. That’s Cheeky! Moms insists on letting the cats out during the day. Fortunately, we live in a very small town with a minimal amount of street traffic and they come in at night. That garden gets it’s share of feathers and lizard carcasses too.

3 Likes