Best Anxiety Strains?

Never tried it, man. I have been tempted, but it is like $80 a bottle at my local shop and I don’t really need super-easy access to CBD all the time. Unlike some others, I don’t suffer from general anxiety all the time. For me it is the weed that triggers my anxiety, so I basically just look for strains that don’t. In my case, 1:1 CBD works great but as I said there are a few other strains that have been surprisingly pleasant, despite low CBD.

I did inquire about how well it works and the shopkeeper said a few customer say it works incredibly well for them. But he was trying to sell it to me, so who knows.

1 Like

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Makes me glad the 1:1 strains work very well for you. Happy i got a few growing myself. Ive found myself really liking super lemon haze. Whatever its made of my brain likes.

4 Likes

Maybe it has CBG? or some other cannabinoids entourage effects

3 Likes

Yes, very possible. Still lots to learn about this plant!

Linalool is an intriguing terpene. I’m going to explore that more.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading more about terpenes and apparently limonene has anti-anxiety effects (like linalool). My guess is the super lemon haze has a good dose of limonene. On top of that, we have others in this thread reporting that hazes in general tend not to trigger anxiety.

So right now I am imagining an ideal strain with healthy doses of linalool and limonene, and 1:1 THC:CBD around 6-8%. Maybe 70% Sativa, 30% indica hybrid.

Maybe try crossing super lemon haze with a high linalool indica like Master Kush or Pink Kush, then cross that to a reliable CBD parent such as Supreme.

Any volunteers want to work this strain up? :grin:

4 Likes

I’m a huge fan of linalool too. Limonene is also prevalent in some Kushes. Rarely will a kush cause me anxiety :+1::seedling:

5 Likes

Kush gives me anxiety and couch lock usually. Indicas are tricky for me. I do better with the OG strains

5 Likes

I thought this wold be the main terpene in lemon balm, it is present but citronellal is more of the oil

Yep, lots of terpenes are shared by many plants. Tons of linalool in lavender, as you probably know. Maybe I should try smoking it - or dry some and mix it in with my joints. I have a shitload of it in my garden.

Wow. I was sort of joking, but wow! https://www.theodysseyonline.com/smoke-lavender-herbal-blends

Lavender: Ah yes, good old lavender. Whenever I come across some in a garden (among the bees I have to fight off), I can’t help but smell, smell, smell. I love to smoke this calming herb because it is one of the best ones for de-stressing and leaving behind a wondrous smell. Not only does lavender also help with nervousness and insomnia, it can relieve painful headaches, muscle sores and intestinal gas.

Totally going to try this today!

EDIT: Also, after reading the article I decided to order 300 St. John’s Wort seeds!

3 Likes

On another note; a bit of an update on CBDream. I got a bit “too high” on it last evening (on purpose) and I got that familiar feeling of unease before full on anxiety kicks in. I thought “this is odd - maybe I am wrong about this strain”. I waited about 4 minutes (I like to time these things) and instead of ramping up, this feeling of unease subsided completely and I felt nicely relaxed for the rest of the evening.

4 Likes

Bubbleman talks about vaping lavandar in his Volcano on Hash Church.

3 Likes

Sativas work great for me. Any Diesel genetics tend to create some level of paranoia. If you can smell fuel, you may get some level of paranoia. Any citrus or fruity smelling herb are usually really great for my anxiety. Lemony scent has a load of limonene which has anti-anxiety effects. CBN has anti-psychosis effects and tends to be in closer-to-landrace Sativas like Cherry Bomb.

3 Likes

This is interesting that you have noticed that the sativa dominant “racey” strains are calming to you as a sufferer of anxiety, it might be acting in a similar way that some medications do , for example how amphetamine based medications calm sufferers of ADHD but if someone who doesn’t suffer from ADHD or similar medical ailments takes those medications they will get a speedy effect .
From what I have been told anyway.
But very interesting note for the medicinal side of things

I haven’t read the rest of this thread yet so I hope I haven’t just said something that has already been chewed on
:grinning:

6 Likes

Yeah, something like that. Thankfully I am just old enough to have missed the surge in medication of kids in the 1990s, so I’ve never tried any of that stuff.

But it really does help to make notes, even if mental ones. And to play around with blending varieties to suit your own precision.

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Actually, the indica tampers down the extreme raciness of the pure sativa. And Sativa unlike indica focuses your attention outside of yourself instead of the introverted thoughts of the Indica which is much better for us folks with anxiety and depression. Someone broke it down much more succinctly on a different thread, but it made perfect sense, even though at first it seems counter-intuitive

8 Likes

smoking on some monkey balls right now but I love me some Cali ogs

5 Likes

I agree that this all makes sense.

However, I have some bad news (for me, anyway).

Last night I tried the Blue Dream again and I had a completely different experience. I had one toke off the same joint as the other night, and within about 7 minutes I was heading into the hell of anxiety. It didn’t end up being as bad as it sometimes gets, but I had a rough 20-25 minutes and then I started feeling better.

The other night when I tried it, it was later in the evening and I had had a couple drinks and a nice big meal with my family earlier. I guess I was already in a very relaxed state of mind and the 2 tokes of BD were extremely pleasant.

Back to the drawing board - what this all tells me is that everything I thought I knew about weed triggering my anxiety is out the window and I need to look at other factors besides the weed strains.

The only thing I do still know is that I have an extreme sensitivity to THC. I have a high CBD strain that only has 3.4% THC in it and 4 tokes of that stuff can trigger my anxiety - but at least the CBD kicks in after about 10 minutes and reverses the effect.

Sometimes I look at my plants growing in my tent and wonder why I am even doing it, because too often I really hate the way weed makes me feel.

Strangest thing is; in my younger years I could smoke like Cheech and Chong and I was fine. It’s all so confusing. I envy people who can sit and do several huge bong rips and just enjoy it.

EDIT: Note: Anxiety is never an issue when I eat it. Maybe it is time for me to simply start eating all my weed.

16 Likes

Sorry to hear that! I too more and more don’t really like the way I feel on weed too much since I hit my 40’s. It’s very hit or miss with me too. Keep checking strains until you find one that works for you. I use to be able to smoke like Cheech and Chong too. For me the gardening aka growing the plants themselves is much more beneficial to my anxiety than smoking it. I guess I keep trying different strains because I have always loved cannabis and when it’s good it’s good, but I know exactly how you feel.

Yeah! Make edibles! For me that causes even more anxiety because I can’t really control the dosage. Whatever works!

8 Likes

@cogitech I’m not sure it’s even the thc content in strains that make it a problem one way or another. At this point I just think it’s whatever mix works best with our brain chemicals that day. My boyfriend and I split a batch of Neptune OG once and he is a heavy daily smoker (Cheech and Chong) and never has issues like I do, but he got major anxiety attacks from that particular high thc strain and I had hardly any issue… Whereas I smoke some kush with high THC and I’m crawling out of my skin. It’s so random. Hopefully the scientists of the world can figure it out and perfect us the perfect strains.

3 Likes

I am quite fond of Yoda OG

2 Likes