Best Anxiety Strains?

I find your experiences intersting @cogitech as I have panic disorder. I tried 99% THC distillate from CO before and found the experience psychedelic, but still able to abate my anxiety. So I am confused by your experiences here.

I have heard good things about the Lebanese Sativa from Ace Seeds with some chemotypes expressing >15% CBD. There are chemotypes with small amounts of THC and THCV, some with none at all. Maybe this would be good for you?

2 Likes

You and me both!

Thanks for the recommendation. I am pretty sure the BC Cannabis Store in my city has at least one CBD-only (or at least high CDB and extremely low THC) strain so I am going to try some of that before I try growing such a strain.

Every ā€œofficialā€ source that I have found says CBD is non-psychoactive, but my experience so far is giving me serious doubts about that.

2 Likes

Still relevant discussion here folks, I think we can keep it here. I too suffer from anxiety, etc. I totally sympathize with the racing, intrusive, thoughts. All the weight of the world on your shoulders.

I will, occasionally, get a panic attack from a sativa dominant hybrid, but do well with Indica dominant hybrids. I had a Deadhead OG plant that was too racey for me, was like a shot of espresso, I had to let her go.

I usually use edibles once a day, lately a high CBD tincture in MCT. Eating it is far mor sedative as the liver metabolizes into delta-11-hydroxy-THC. This may be a good option for you.

Also consider that the high can be totally modulated by the terpenes. Some terpenes are anti-anxiety like limoene and linalool. So varieties with these terpenes may work better for you. I have some Blue Dream CBD terpsolate that is a good pick-me-up, I can imagine it would be racy without the 80% CBD.

One more thing to consider would be diet. I take fish oil and vitamin E and it has helped stabilize my moods better than any pharmaceutical. They also provide the raw amino acids needed to break down (endo)cannabinoids.

This article may provide more insight into the topic:

11 Likes

Good conversation going on here. @cogitech i also started feeling this way when high about a year ago. Recently i took a month off of alcohol/reefer. I found this to benefit me quite a bit. For me it made me realize that when i most wanted to consume is when i found myself being bored. Its not too often i actually want to be bored so in turn i did things to keep me busy. I think the mind is always looking for ways to stay busy or active. When i get high my brain doesnt want to be busy but me being ā€œconsciousā€ feels the urge to be busy. So for me when i consume its when im about to do something like rake my yard or when i want to spend a little time reflecting on the day that was. It was nice but not easy to take a break from mind altering substances to gain a better prespective on life. The fact that we are living on planet eart flying through space is a very unsettling fact but we take things like that for granted. Or how are bodies are carrying out thousands of funtions in order to keep us alive. Cannabis is a wonderful plant. Not only for its ā€œrecreationalā€ use but also as a tool in life to see things from an alternate viewpoint.

4 Likes

Yes indeed. I donā€™t get anxiety at all when I eat it.

Finding strains high in linalool has proven to be very difficult so far, but I am going to try mixing in some lavender very soon and see what happens. The only ones Iā€™ve tried with limonene were too racy for me.

Thanks for the tip! Anything is worth a try, and fish oil is damned healthy regardless of whether it really helps me or not. Going to grab some today. Also going to get myself some Lemon Balmā€¦

4 Likes

Oh yeah i also started taking fish oil lately. I believe it helps.

2 Likes

Wow You describe how cannabis makes me feel now
wondering why Im doing it.
Thats why Im hunting strains that dont affect me like that
it seems to me there was something genetically that changed with weed around the 90ā€™s (makes me wonder if the g13 rumors are real and it was GMO?)

Ive been trying different strains and a few of the early 90s strains dont give these affects in any way, also the (true)landraces dont seem to give these issues at all
but there a ball ache to grow

Im really intent on creating a few strains for people like me (and you?) that dont cause these issues

The CBD adn CBG help but its more complex than that.

The other thing that helps me is admitting to myself that Im not living true to myself and promising myself/god/universe that I will try to be better. I need to make more effort to keep this promise too.

5 Likes

I have had OCD and panic disorder from the time I was a child. It predates any substance use. I became so disabled I could barely leave the house. When I explored Cannabis with all reservations removed, I discovered it helped me a lot more than Xanax or any other medication could.

When I started an SSRI without Cannabis, I would still have intrusive thoughts that kept me from sleeping at night and functioning daily. I couldnā€™t watch movies because the intrusive thoughts intensified. Cannabis eliminated all of that for me.

Psychiatrists like to play the chicken or the egg game. When a person does not understand they have a preexisting anxiety disorder and discontinues Cannabis, they discover horrible anxiety. They then go to a psychiatrist who blames the Cannabis withdrawal for being the cause of the anxiety. In my case, and probably for the aforementioned case, the anxiety existed before any type of Cannabis use. Cannabis is just what makes us feel better.

7 Likes

If a person is prone to anxiety it might be a good idea to avoid sativa dominant strains. Maybe try making some resin and ageing it a bit.

After years of growing and smoking loads of different strains the inescapable conclusion (for me) was the best strain to avoid anxiety is the one i donā€™t run out of before my next crop is ready :thumbsup:

3 Likes

I love Sativa and stimulating Cannabisā€¦ I donā€™t know why that is for me. It relieves me and allows me to focus on everything I am doing. I guess everyoneā€™s body chemistry is different.

4 Likes

I love them all, variety is the spice of life :grin:

2 Likes

All that being saidā€¦

If anyone has racy Sativa strains they are discardingā€¦

I have claws open for seedā€¦

:crab:

1 Like

I enjoy sativa more as well. Anything that focuses my attention outside of myself is much better for my depression and anxiety. Focusing thoughts inward causes much worse anxiety and panic. Dwelling or overthinking is the last thing I need to be doing. That will land me in bed hiding under the covers. Iā€™ll take the racy over that any day, usually the raciness of sativas will wear off in a few minutes then I will just feel uplifted and focused on outside tasks.

4 Likes

I have tried that Durga Mata 2 that I bought at the store, and having 1:2 thc:cbd, I was actually able to handle it, even enjoyed it, and did not green out.

If by the end of the 8th I bought I am still liking it, may order some seeds. I would not say it relieved any anxiety, but sure did not make it worse, and got me somewhat relaxed and spacey.

1 Like

Man, that part about not living true to oneself is a big one for me.

If I can help you in any way with your effort to find or breed some strains, let me know. I am not super experienced and I only have a small tent but stuff grows in it like mad. I am also doing some chucking in an effort to make something that works for me.

2 Likes

Yes, the Durga Mata II is pretty good. I grinned a bit for no reason during the initial few minutes, felt more engaged in conversations, then just felt relaxed. I had 2 light pulls off a V-Tower, so not a lot.

1 Like

Hey @gordongecko I should mention that Iā€™ve just received some Transkei seeds from @Sunvalley. This sounds like a very promising strain if I can tame it somehow. I might try crossing it with an extremely small high-CBD strain and see what happens.

2 Likes

Great stuff @ReikoX. I just harvested some Hurkle F2 by @Muleskinner for Ms oleskool as she gets panic attacks from the weed I grow for myself. She really likes it. Gets her nice and high and in time the high evolves into a very comfortable, long lasting stone. I have to admit that for me, even with the lower THC, I enjoy it very much. Especially in the morning. Great smell and flavor. I highly recommend it!

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

So, my boyfriend and I buy those moon rock joints and I noticed that I do fine with the heavy Indica as long as Iā€™m not alone and to be honest they are awesome for sexy time. As soon as I walked outside though, the social anxiety was epic for me. The heavy indica locks me completely inside my head and I felt like everyone was staring at me. It was highly uncomfortable. Just a recent observation.

5 Likes

Harlequin and super sour diesel are my go to for anxiety outside of home, when I am at home 9lb hammer or a indicia dominate works for my depression and anxiety at the same time and lead to sleep as relief from my insomnia. I also like a hybrid in the afternoon so I am neither to up or to down, my choice is across the board on hybrids as I have only tried 4 and all had different effects to me.

4 Likes