Best Fertilizer?

I’m curious about Dr Earth mixes, but I’ve mostly used Down To Earth boxes of individual things like crab and bone meal, kelp and lime from Espoma, and this mix from Coast of Maine that’s a really nice all in one that I like for having a lot of calcium and sulfur:

4 Likes

lol look at my first post! I said that’s what I typically use(down to earth). Good call though! I would like to try gaia down the road and then get super organic and start doing my own mixes and experimenting with JaDaM and Korean Natty farming. Lots to learn in cannabis but damn its worm hole I constantly want to jump into. Never experienced passion. this plant provided that!

6 Likes

I feel you there, especially with organics the rabbit hole feels so deep
Best hobby ever!

2 Likes

Old Chinese proverb say: “The best fertilizer is the farmers shadow”!
Hahaha. Sorry I’m blasted🤣

3 Likes

@Dirt_Wizard here is a product made in maine by “coast of maine” products. https://coastofmaine.com/product/bumpercrop/ if you can get it it works great! i use this as my compost additive at 1/3 to 1/2 and wow the plants just love it. good stuff from coast of maine. the fert you showed works like a champ too.

2 Likes

From what @misterbee says That stonington blended Maine bagged Soil is amazing.That’s another all you have to do is water it.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to ask my local grow shop about it, they carry CoM by the pallet, looks great to me! It seems like everything CoM makes is quality, and they’re a lot closer to me than most of the soil companies. I get my dirt from them and coco from a place in Connecticut called AmeriCoco that makes the nicest bagged coco I’ve ever seen called Root Kandy, it’s washed and buffered with calnit and just super well sifted and shredded.

www.ameri-coco.com

@CapnCannabis I don’t know if this is just the dry mix they charge up their Stonington Platinum Grower’s Mix soil with, but that’s my base soil and it goes very well with that to recharge it between grows. My houseplants also all love it and often get a nice white mold bloom after I scratch and water some in. I try to keep it as all-New England as I can.

2 Likes

Nature is not created in a factory, it is a factory that creates life, if you let it.

Geoff Lawton dropped a new 20 min. video recently:

Discover Permaculture on Instagram: "Mulch is a natural event that protects and feeds soils. It happens in all forests, all over the world. In this video, Geoff takes us through some of the dryland mulching strategies used at the @greeningthedesertprojectii, to build, moderate temperatures, hold water for longer, and add nutrients to soils. #greeningthedesert #greeningthedesertproject #permaculture #discoverpermaculture #drylandstrategies #mulch #greenmanure #feedthesoil #buildsoil #soils #harvestwater #growfood #foodforest #jordan #deadseavalley"

Covercrops like vetch, buckwheat, clover, etc fix nitrogen into the soil while producing mulch which in turn holds moisture. Sow along with your cannabis crop. Chop & drop half when they start flowering, let the rest go to seed and naturally die back into the soil.
You only need to get seeds and beans once.
Quite cheap.

Kitchenscraps, fruit and veg scraps are extremely effective because of the variety, it feeds and activates entire legions of microbes and fungi, which in turn help your plants along with providing moisture. Fresh fruit and veg contain lots of water which the fungi absorb and redistribute throughout the soil. Consider it slow release watering.
Oh yeah, and it’s completely free.

You can also chop and drop half of your cannabis to let it drastically enrich your soil.
Let the soil enjoy the fruits of its own labour, it can only improve the next harvest.

Some other key words you can research:

permaculture
regenerative agriculture
mycorrhizal fungi

Also might wanna find out what Paul Stamets has to say in his book Mycelium Running.
Blew my mind.

Ultimately it’s extremely simple and a matter of selecting the right plant species to bring together, feeding life with life.

9 Likes

Down to earth organins or Gaia Green.

Fat buds require a good healthy kelp diet

3 Likes

Dragonfly Earth Medicine is pretty incredible if you’re looking to buy stuff.

1 Like

That’s a nice lil workshop u got there hahaha

@Reithel when it comes to these it’s all pretty much the same thing just a different balance, this was talked about recently in another thread labeled “help me build a soil” if I’m not mistaken but what it comes down to is each company is gonna have their own blend of generally the same things. Down to earth, Dr earth, and the few others out there claiming a general organic fertilizer for veggies are all gonna give you about the same results. I prefer Dr earth cuz it seems I can get it just about anywhere local whether tractor supply, home Depot or Lowe’s and the results have been wonderful. Would I also recommend down to earth and the others? Hell ya! But they aren’t always available local to most and then ur spending more having it shipped. I can get a 12lb bag of Dr earth for 25-30 bucks local and covers 240 gallons of soil

Look up the ingredients of the others and u will see it’s not far off

8 Likes

Down to earth
Dr earth
General organics
Roots organic
I like the smaller doctor earth bags for indoor mother maintenance and the down to earth for soil mixes and amending, I use both general organics and roots organics liquids as a occasional extra treat and flower enhancer.

9 Likes

I do the same, General Organics Bio-Thrive and Roots guano, I was using HPK liquid guano but they seemed to go out of stock on it so now I mix their powdered seabird guano.

2 Likes

Yep the bio thrive bloom and there sea kelp are both great, I like the roots organic bloom also along with the hpk and trinity , With the roots organic I’ll get one small bottle of each and it makes about three feedings outdoors during bloom, the rest of the time they get biothrive bloom and what has been mixed into the soil.
rainbow mix is also great stuff and I like to too dress with it I’d I feel there appetite is more then expected

5 Likes

I would say the best fertilizer in organics is compost/vermicompost and good biology.

Not saying that’s all you need but I would say it would make the biggest singular difference.

A quality source of earthworm castings should be at the top of your list.

7 Likes

Worms are a gardens best friend

6 Likes

If your just starting out, it may be beneficial to just bite the bullet and have a few bags of fully finished water only soil (kis Organics, build a soil 3.0, coast of Maine stonington) shipped to you. All of those will get you very nice results with just water in 7 gallon pots.
You can then focus on the other aspects of growing not wondering if your missing any nutrients.

All of those will give you a very very nice baseline to compare to when you decide to start amending and mixing your own soil.

4 Likes

What @Orison said is true! I started with bagged FFOF, switched to Stonington, and have been reamending, building, and composting from there. It was a very easy way to start and though my first grow wasn’t perfect by far, it got me a pound of decent to great buds and that’s really what it’s about when you’re starting. Make it easy on yourself until you get that headstash built and then try experimenting.

2 Likes

Compost, worm castings, kelp, bat and seabird guano are the basics in my approach-

Tons of other stuff that’s also great to add, depending on your budget…

3 Likes

I use pure blend pro.

3 Likes