Best rules and regulations for a soon to be recreational state

I did say it is a “benefit” of being Not for Profit. Regardless, higher costs mean higher sales price, period. And anyone who says they grow weed for a medical co-op that doesn’t make mad cash is lying. lol Well, maybe not in Cali…anymore.

Btw… there is usually money left over, just a choice what to do with it. ie…some NP’s will give more money directly towards their cause and some like Goodwill who are owned by a single member takes all the proceeds as salary (in the millions of dollars).

the best rules? How about an “Al Smith” law - you just remove every instance of the word “marijuana” from the law. otherwise known as the “Tomato Model”. Plants don’t need rules!!

3 Likes

Never seen that before but i have been saying pretty much the same thing for around 35 yrs now. Wont happen though, too many greedy bastards among our species.

Prop. 215 in California in 1996 was pretty much the Tomato Model, anyone can grow, anyone can sell, no taxes, it scared the bejeezus out of the oligarchs and caused them to gradually take control of drug policy reform and herd us into the current 6 plants, 40% tax, $10,000/month surveillance-cost framework.

They just cant give the people a dam inch can they. This is why society’s have failed in the past and will do again in the future. Maybe we should all totally ignore people who claim to be our leaders, no attention = no power to control us.

1 Like

yes, we know the cannabis community has never been very good at following the rules! That’s why it’s so funny, they set up all these elaborate rules and fees and then expect us to participate. No thank you! :smile:

around here the “plant limit” is respected about the same as the “speed limit”. Out of a dozen or so home growers I’ve met, every single one has more plants than “allowed” :imp:

1 Like

If they insist on treating adults as children, we will break their crappy rules, it’s what kids are known for. Probably since before we even walked upright as a species.

1 Like

It’s how they (we) learn boundaries. Once you cross it, you know where that line is. Some of us learn harder than others.

Some rules are necessary, tho shalt not kill being one i agree with. It’s such a shame that our so called leaders can seemingly ignore such a vital rule when it suits them to yet still feel qualified to tell us all how to live our lives. The people build society by their own hard work and mutual interests only to have some self important little turd, who played no part in any of it step in to dictate how we should be living. We should tar and feather the swines.

3 Likes

I’m having a hell of a time trying to find the Al Smith law, or moreso an Al Smith law that has anything to do with tomatoes. I’ve found some references to some Al Smith laws, but they were about new housing construction being exempted from property tax and an anti-nudist law.

Got any more info on it?

From what I read on Prop. 215 it only pertains to medical patients and their caregivers. It’s definitely a better law than what’s in place in other medical states (Texas for example), but still no bueno for non-medical recreational users.

What is the $10K/month surveillance-cost framework?

Al Smith was a leader of the Repeal movement, governor of New York who in 1923 passed a law repealing New York’s state Prohibition law by removing all mentions of alcohol and leaving enforcement to the feds. So New York state opted out of prohibition early.

yes Prop. 215 required a doctor’s note for less than $100 but after that…tomato model. It showed that public support for prohibition was gone.

1 Like

Here’s something I just happened across that should be cause for concern…

From the article:

“Under California’s legalization legislation, however, cannabis businesses are required to pay taxes on all products, including donations and samples. There’s no way to dodge it: the law has implemented a track-and-trace system designed to follow all flower and cannabis products through the supply chain from cultivation to sale. Every step of the supply chain has its own tax requirements, too. So if a business doesn’t pay taxes on products, the Bureau of Cannabis Control will know.

This area of the law drastically impacts Sweetleaf because it’s a donation-based business—a model that mirrors the culture of Proposition 215, the law which ultimately granted patients the legal right to procure and use medical marijuana with a doctor’s recommendation. According to Joe Airone, who founded Sweetleaf in ‘96, the collective delivered over 100 lbs of cannabis (flower and shake that was donated to Airone from cultivators in Humboldt County) to 150 patients last year. Under current law, Airone would have to pay over $50,000 in taxes on 100 lbs cannabis he’s not making any return on. As a result, Sweetleaf has been forced to halt business, leaving 150 severely ill, low-income patients without cannabis.”

@Meesh if this is what you were talking about…damn. Taxing cannabis that is DONATED to terminally ill and low income patients? That’s a whole ‘nother level of WTF right there.

A byproduct of legalization should be the lack of a black market for recreational use, not creating the need for a black market for medical patients. Just like you were saying @99PerCent.

This is the type of situation that needs to be avoided when the states that have not yet legalized begin to do so.

3 Likes

Bummer that legalization isn’t working out as well everywhere.

In Oregon we are taxed at 25%, but the prices have dropped over a couple years from 25 a gram to 65 an ounce

Nobody obeys the 4 plant maximum or the 8oz total law. It isn’t exactly like the police are going door to door

1 Like