Minnesota is about to legalize

Legalization just passed in both the state house and state senate this week. All that remains is for it to go to conference committee to iron out the differences of the two bills and then to the Governor’s desk. The Governor has been a major supporter so it is basically a sure thing that it will happen. They have done a fair bit of research on how legalization has worked in other states and have used that to help craft the bill, with the goal in mind of minimizing the black market by making weed cheap enough and widely available enough that the legal market can be price competitive.

Some of the features:

Retail sales should begin Jan 1 2024, most of the other provisions go into effect this summer.

Counties and local municipalities can control the location of cannabis businesses through zoning but they can’t prohibit them or have local taxes.

The state tax will be low - it is 8% in the house version and 10% in the senate version. The goal is for taxes to pay for the administrative system, and nothing beyond that. It isn’t meant to be a revenue grab to add funds to the state coffers. They want taxes to be low enough for dispensaries to beat the black market on price.

Homegrow is allowed with 8 plants permitted, four flowering. Being over the plant count will be a violation (like a traffic ticket), $150 fine per plant. People will be allowed by right to grow in rental properties they live in (they don’t have to ask the landlord’s permission) unless it is explicitly prohibited in the lease.

Prior misdemeanor convictions will be automatically expunged. Felony convictions will be expunged with review. The basic premise behind the review is that if you were just charged with a cannabis felony it will be expunged but if you were originally charged with a violent crime but pled down to a cannabis charge it is less likely. People currently in prison or on probation who qualify for expungement will be released. This part is immediate once the bill is signed.

Employment related drug tests for weed will be prohibited except in cases of accidents or where they are federally mandated.

Low dose (5mg) edibles and drinks can be sold from any business with a food and beverage license - grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants and bars.

It will create a public usage license for consumption at cannabis related events and festivals.

Smoking cannabis in public is banned in places where tobacco is currently banned. Local municipalities will decide where else in public it can or can’t be used.

Hennepin County, which is the most populous county in the state, and where I live, stopped cannabis prosecutions in 2019 so it has been de facto legal in Minneapolis and many of its suburbs since then, but it is exciting for it to become official and have it be state wide.

47 Likes

Wow that sounds pretty good.

7 Likes

Many of the legislators who wrote this bill use cannabis and are open about it. They wanted to get it right and they proposed the most user friendly version of legalization that they thought they could pass. I think they wrote a pretty good bill.

15 Likes

Sounds very progress! I am still waiting for them to ban pre-employment testing here in Colorado.

6 Likes

must be nice to live in a state where the politicians don’t hate you.

8 Likes

Dam looks like Minnesota is defiantly on the right track

5 Likes

I am really happy for you peeps out in the million lakes👍 Legal home growing should have been here in the 80’s, better late than never.

Enjoy your new found freedom, and grow out some prime flower :pineapple:

7 Likes

Congratulations as we Md just joined the legal club on November last year and bill goes in to total effect on 07/01/2023 :+1::clap::partying_face::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Great news for us

5 Likes

Wow, what a progressive bill. Hard to believe they aren’t going for the big tax grab. I think that’s the only state I’ve heard of that takes that stance. Maybe MN. can be a model to other states in bringing the prices down. Congrats! It’s life changing to be free! :clap: :muscle: :facepunch: :v:

11 Likes

Sounds like its well written. Is that 8-10% tax extra on top of normal state sales tax?

2 Likes

Fantastic news. I have famoly back there. Actual corn and pig farmers. Good for MN to do the right thing for it’s people.

2 Likes

Yes, the cannabis tax is on top of regular sales tax.

1 Like

So a roughly 20% tax then on every purchase?

1 Like

Damn twice the plant count as is in Va lol

3 Likes

WI is extremely red and will probably be one of the last northern states to turn. At least half of the population doesn’t see weed as different than heroin or coke, and sees weed usage as a personal affront to their ubiquitous alcoholism. I lived there for a while and it was genuinely disturbing

Alcohol industry there will never let it happen.

4 Likes

Welcome to the club. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No doubt. That’s a thorn in my side.

8 Likes

Forget how to count, and be happy.

13 Likes

Mn here as well. About damn time I say!

5 Likes